Jailed for Contempt (Kentucky Clerk, Kim Davis)

RMGuy

Mrs. Davis has refused to issue marriage licenses citing her strongly held religious beliefs and the idea that God's law (as she interprets it) trumps the laws of men.  She has been remanded to the custody of the US Marshal Service until she complies with the court order to issue marriage licenses to both hetero and homosexual couples as instructed in previous court rulings.  

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/03/437174853/kentucky-clerk-is-due-in-federal-court-for-contempt-hearing

Why don't they just fire her?  I mean if my job changed and I demostrated that I would not do a part of the newly defined job.. I'd get fired

You can't fire an elected official.  You can only impeach.  And that's not an easy process...

Okay, so here's the bad corner this clerk was put in:

1.)  It is illegal in her district to marry someone of the same sex when she ran for office and got elected.

2.)  SCOTUS overrode the district laws on marriage AFTER she got elected.

3.)  She can't resign because she needs her job for now as she planned on being the clerk for the entire length of office when she won it.

4.)  Any gay couple can go to any other clerk in the State or even out of state to get married.

So, this poor woman is another victim of the SCOTUS ruling.  And the next poster child for the LGBT mantra of "we need justice!".

You can't fire an elected official.  You can only impeach.  And that's not an easy process...

I missed that she was elected...  Of course the other side of that question then is way doesn't she quit/resign etc?

It seems more ethical to me that you quit a job that you have ethical concerns about doing rather then trying have it both ways by staying in the job but refusing to do the job

Which principles were those? I don't see the direct comparison

Whatever principle you think he stood on that he got tarred and feathered/jailed/died for.  You can take your pick.  It doesn't matter.  What matters is - he did it even if he knew he was gonna suffer for it...  there are a vast many to choose from in his long life.

3.)  She can't resign because she needs her job for now as she planned on being the clerk for the entire length of office when she won it.

I have no sympathy for 3 when she is being held up as someone willing to suffer for her beliefs.  (Other circumstances sure but not as an example of someone willing to suffer for their beliefs)

As an elected official she is subject to laws and rulings over her. I would be real surprised if she didn't know this going in to it.

You mean that she should have superpowers that predicts what the SCOTUS will receive as a case during her term and what the SCOTUS  will decide about all these cases?

Edited by anatess

I love Joseph Smith, but lets not pretend that he was a Martyr to the last and an innocent victim in everything. He went to carthage jail because he violated the 1st amendment and destroyed a printing press. Events that occurred after that were religiously based and unfortunate. He was also a fugitive from justice most of adult life.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

Edited by omegaseamaster75

I have no sympathy for 3 when she is being held up as someone willing to suffer for her beliefs.  (Other circumstances sure but not as an example of someone willing to suffer for their beliefs)

She's not asking for sympathy.  She's quite willing to go to jail if it comes to that.

But think about it... this is the first time in the history of the USA that somebody is jailed for refusing to do something that is against one's deeply held religious belief.  Sure, getting jailed for DOING something for one's religious belief - lots of those... but NOT DOING something is new.  Especially since she has made no move - none at all - to prevent other clerks from signing the darned paper.

It's like a Mormon going to jail for refusing to drink alcohol or something.

Edited by anatess

I love Joseph Smith, but lets not pretend that he was a Martyr to the last and an innocent victim in everything. He went to carthage jail because he violated the 1st amendment and destroyed a printing press. Events that occurred after that were religiously based and unfortunate. He was also a fugitive from justice most of adult life.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

Interesting how he did those things even as he wrote Article 12...

Article 12 doesn't mean that we should sacrifice our principles for the rule of law.  Rather, it means not to complain if you go to jail for it.

You mean that she should have superpowers that predicts what the SCOTUS will receive as a case during her term and what the SCOTUS  will decide about all these cases?

No but she knows or should have know that she would be subject to rulings during her tenure and would be instructed to enforce them. Probably in the job description.

No but she knows or should have know that she would be subject to rulings during her tenure and would be instructed to enforce them. Probably in the job description.

Sure.  This time, she refused to do it.  And I applaud her for sticking to her deeply held principles.  She's probably going to jail.  Which she is willing to do.

If my boss ever changes the rule in my company and tells me that as a German Company, all workers have to drink German beer or go to jail, I'd refuse the beer, batten up on the finances so I can survive losing my job, but stay on for the money until they fire me or take me to jail.

Edited by anatess

She's standing for what she believes the people her county expect of her. Activists probably had to import a gay couple(s) to request a marriage license, just to push her out. The same as the bakeries, etc, that are being forced to hold their faith in a public eye. She's standing up for her beliefs and she is willingly paying the price. I support her even though I don't give a rat's patooy if a gay couple does get a license.

Edited by pkstpaul