Homecoming??

So...this boy asked me to homecoming...Neither of us are sixteen yet...and so i was wondering if it would count as a date, Or if it would be okay just to go together this one time...as friends. I mean, i don't want to say no to him, because i really like him, but i'm hesitant because i really want to wait until i'm sixteen (Next year) To date. It's just something i feel strongly about. I just don't know what to do.

Homecoming would most definitely be a date. It's a choice you'll have to make, but if you choose to wait until you're 16 like you want to (and I encourage it), the kind thing would be to tell him ASAP so he can find another date.

Homecoming would most definitely be a date. It's a choice you'll have to make, but if you choose to wait until you're 16 like you want to (and I encourage it), the kind thing would be to tell him ASAP so he can find another date.

Pretty much this. It's a decision for you to make prayerfully.

If you do decide to say no, you probably wouldn't hurt any feelings if you explain the reason and make it clear you're interested for next year.

Plus, you may want to consider what the local expectations are concerning homecoming and other such events. 

For example, where I live, if dances or other such events end "early" enough in the evening, then you'll often see kids going out to eat or going to other places that are open late (depending upon the local curfew laws). Even if your parents allow homecoming, they may not allow you to go any place else. 

Plus, you may want to consider what the local expectations are concerning homecoming and other such events. 

For example, where I live, if dances or other such events end "early" enough in the evening, then you'll often see kids going out to eat or going to other places that are open late (depending upon the local curfew laws). Even if your parents allow homecoming, they may not allow you to go any place else. 

That happens even if it doesn't end early.  You get the after-party party which can go till dawn in some cases.

This is clearly a date, and if you intend to follow the standards set in For the Strength of Youth (which I would encourage) then you should turn him down.  Perhaps tell him to ask you again when you are 16 so he doesn't feel rejected.  Getting too serious too soon is a really dangerous and foolish thing. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

Homecoming is definitely a date, IMO. Good for you for wanting to wait until you are 16 to date.

Ditto to what Eowyn said. Let him know of your decision (either way) ASAP.

Pretty much this. It's a decision for you to make prayerfully.

If you do decide to say no, you probably wouldn't hurt any feelings if you explain the reason and make it clear you're interested for next year.

His feelings WILL probably be hurt. What teen likes being rejected, no matter what the reason?  But saying yes to a date because you think it will be rude is not the right reason to say yes. However, even with feelings hurt, if he is mature enough he will accept it and still be your friend. 

I agree, explain the reason so there is no room for misunderstandings. 

Guest MormonGator

Just explain that you don't date until you are 16. He will respect that if he's a gentleman and date worthy. If he really likes you he will ask you out again at 16.  You have many years of dating ahead of you and some of the "big" events like homecoming and prom can be vastly overrated.

OP-Listen to IrishColleen. 

When people say high school is the "best time of your life" they usually have very sad lives. It's only four years and IrishColleeen was EXACTLY RIGHT. You will look back on your prom, etc and say "What was the big deal? My life is so much better as an adult!"

You could go as friends. I know, crazy notion, huh?

I went to a couple dances with dates that I was not attracted to in any sense but it sounded like fun and so I went. I agree with checking in on what your parents expect of you, and if they give you the green light, then you make your own decision.

It is a date (and hope all your dates in high school are with friends).  Plain and simple.   Now whether you and/or your parents adhere to the counsel not to date until sixteen and whether you make exceptions and which exceptions is a matter for you and they to make.   Strict obedience to this may help you choose the right in the future.   OTOH you aren't going to go to he double toothpicks if you go to the prom.   Talk to your Heavenly Father about this though.   Particularly about whether you are safe on a date that someone who knows your standards and wants you to ignore them.     

If you say no, ask if you can have a raincheck for a dance (even one you set up yourselves in the local park, with christmas tree lights) when you do turn 16).