Callings that require a Temple recommend...

bytor2112

Recently a brother that had returned to activity after being inactive most of his life was called as a counselor in the YM Presidency and even more recent was called to serve as President of YM. Here's the thing....he was just ordained an Elder two weeks ago. 

I had thought that you must be an Elder to serve in YM and certainly to serve as President? Also, what about a Temple recommend? Is it a requirement to have a current recommend to serve as YM President?

Thanks....

Did you get a handbook yet with your High Council calling ?? If so .....You need to look that up and read what it says. Not trying to be a wise guy ....thee are some callings you do need a Temple Rec .....

Did you get a handbook yet with your High Council calling ?? If so .....You need to look that up and read what it says. Not trying to be a wise guy ....thee are some callings you do need a Temple Rec .....

No not yet. I was just sustained today.Is YM President one of those callings? Obviously,( Ward callings) I know Bishopric, EQP and HGL...and Ward Mission Leader.

Edited by bytor2112

The bishop and his counselors need to have a temple recommend. Pretty sure EQ president and HP group leader do, too, as I assume RS president and Primary president must. I assume ward mission leader needs to have one. Seminary teachers (not a ward-level calling, I know) also have to have temple recommends. Not sure about other callings such as counselors to quorum/group/RS/Primary presidents or YM/YW presidents.

The bishop and his counselors need to have a temple recommend. Pretty sure EQ president and HP group leader do, too, as I assume RS president and Primary president must. I assume ward mission leader needs to have one. Seminary teachers (not a ward-level calling, I know) also have to have temple recommends. Not sure about other callings such as counselors to quorum/group/RS/Primary presidents or YM/YW presidents.

There is no requirement for a Primary president to have a temple recommend.  This I know from personal experience.

Strange as it may seem, there is nothing in either handbook stating that a temple recommend is necessary to hold a ward calling; not even for a bishop or his counselors

I think we can safely infer that if a man doesn't hold one he isn't going to be called to be a bishop, but I personally know a man who served as a bishop's counselor for three years and did NOT have a recommend during that time.

No doubt that's unusual, but it did in fact happen.

I also know a number of men who have served as ward clerks who did not have recommends.

Edited by Capitalist_Oinker