Use of outside sources  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it would be a good idea to use this in addition to church provided sunday school materials

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on circumstances
    • Undecided
  2. 2. What do you think of the book[s]?

• Good resource
    • Neutral
    • Bad resource

I've seen several of the books in the "Made Harder" series such as can been seen

Here:

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/madeharder/

and Here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1?ie=UTF8&text=James+E.+Faulconer&search-alias=books&field-author=James+E.+Faulconer&sort=relevancerank

And was wondering if anyone has read or used them. I was thinking about possibly getting one or some of them for scripture study, but was unsure if it would be worth it or not. I would like to hear about your thoughts, or reviews of them.

Edited by Crypto

Its mainly a book filled with questions to prompt deep thought. It looks to be used with the standard works (as in is nearly useless without reading them side by side). Which is why I was curious about what people think about it.

Thanks for your thoughts :) You replied really quickly!  ^_^

Edited by Crypto

To a great extent, these are questions that anyone doing a careful reading of the scriptures would just obviously ask. I think the books are useful as a sort of list of helpful hints for the young (in scripture-reading terms), but I'm not sure I would explicitly include them in a Sunday School lesson. Great starting point for asking questions to generate understanding.

James E. Faulconer wrote another little book about scripture study called (unsurprisingly), Scripture Study: Tools and Suggestions. It does not contain questions about every verse like the Made Harder series does, but instead it outlines important methods of scripture study.

So many just skim the surface of the scriptures over and over again as if they were cheap novels. His little book will tell you how to really study each word, how to ask questions from a number of angles, how to outline a section for clarity, how to study words in the Bible without needing to learn Hebrew and Greek.

I highly recommend it. Take what he provides in this little book and dig deep into a passage of scripture on your own. Studying in this manner has almost always brought me new and significant insight. 

I hear lots of good things about the Made Harder books, but when it comes to using limited funds to purchase study aids--there are other books that are much higher up on my wish list.

Incidentally - Ben Spackman's running commentary on this year's NT curriculum is spectacular (and, free!) (though he accepts donations).