Peter -- The Lord's Prophet

Anddenex

Something I have pondered and thought would be best for a general discussion rather than an LDS Gospel Thread.

I find it interesting that Peter was the Prophet upon the death of Christ, yet, we have very little written by Peter.  We have more of Paul's words, who wasn't the prophet, which gives way to the idea that revealed word, doesn't always come from the Lord's prophet.

Is there anything written as to why Peter's words were not written?  Maybe similar to Samuel the Lamanite and the Lord appearing asking the Nephites why they had not written the words of Samuel?

Maybe similar to Samuel the Lamanite and the Lord appearing asking the Nephites why they had not written the words of Samuel?

This is a distressingly common misreading of 3 Nephi. The words of Samuel were indeed recorded by Nephi and/or other prophets. The Savior's chastisement was not for the Nephites' failure to record Samuel's words, but for their failure to record the fulfillment of Samuel's prophecies about many Saints arising at Christ's resurrection.

(By the way, this is yet another indication, already well-established from other Book of Mormon scriptures, that Christ did not come among the Nephites immediately after his resurrection, within days or weeks.)

Edited by Vort

To respond to the actual point of the OP: It does not appear that there was a concerted effort to record any of the teachings of the apostles, or even of Jesus. This may be wrong, but the Bible itself doesn't really give much evidence of any such effort. Rather, it appears that various letters and accounts were collected almost as an afterthought, or at least well after the original events in an attempt to preserve the history that had probably primarily been oral to that point.

Something I have pondered and thought would be best for a general discussion rather than an LDS Gospel Thread.

I find it interesting that Peter was the Prophet upon the death of Christ, yet, we have very little written by Peter.  We have more of Paul's words, who wasn't the prophet, which gives way to the idea that revealed word, doesn't always come from the Lord's prophet.

Is there anything written as to why Peter's words were not written?  Maybe similar to Samuel the Lamanite and the Lord appearing asking the Nephites why they had not written the words of Samuel?

Well you have the Acts of Peter, Gospel of Peter, Preaching of Peter, Apocalypse of Peter, and the Judgment of Peter, all of which are considered Apocryphal texts. Also The gospel of mark is thought to be an eye witness by peter of the events that happened in that book. 

Edited by omegaseamaster75

We have also lost quite a few "plain and precious things" from the Bible, according to Nephi. My guess is that many more of Peter's words were written either by himself or others, but were rejected by the great and abominable church, or simply lost. But that's just my speculation.

I seem to recall an early church historian lamenting the apostles not being prolific writers.

-------------

As for the great and abominable church, it is the church that would drive the believers of god, and make war with them and slay them. My question back is what makes a church?

This is a distressingly common misreading of 3 Nephi. The words of Samuel were indeed recorded by Nephi and/or other prophets. The Savior's chastisement was not for the Nephites' failure to record Samuel's words, but for their failure to record the fulfillment of Samuel's prophecies about many Saints arising at Christ's resurrection....

My take is that the OP likely meant precisely what you filled in here, but simply didn't word it that way. If so, there may be no need to get distressed.

Is there anything written as to why Peter's words were not written?....

Perhaps more of his words, and the words of others, were written.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/1-ne/13.25-29?lang=eng#24

As to this next passage, may I suggest considering not just the Nephites in America, but also Roman history in the first century AD, and not just in Palestine, but also elsewhere:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/2-ne/26.12-17?lang=eng#11

Thoughts? Impressions?

Edited by hagoth

We have also lost quite a few "plain and precious things" from the Bible, according to Nephi. My guess is that many more of Peter's words were written either by himself or others, but were rejected by the great and abominable church, or simply lost. But that's just my speculation.

Just saw your post. Apologies.

As indicated above, I agree with your post.

Off topic, but which church is the great and abominable church?

Depends, what's the context?  ;)

As it relates to the potential removal of some of Peter's writings, the great and abominable church could include whatever group(s) or organization(s) participated in driving that dispensation of the Church of Jesus Christ into apostasy. The political councils that got together and decided on their own power which writings and doctrines were "valid" come to mind as well.

Edited by Josiah

I think he was too busy to write very much.  Paul was the one running all over the earth, so he had to keep up with all those converts in such widespread places.

My take is that the OP likely meant precisely what you filled in here, but simply didn't word it that way. If so, there may be no need to get distressed.

Correct, I used the term "words" to mean that something important wasn't written. That could mean a prophecy, actual words, etc...

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/1-ne/13.25-29?lang=eng#24

As to this next passage, may I suggest considering not just the Nephites in America, but also Roman history in the first century AD, and not just in Palestine, but also elsewhere:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/2-ne/26.12-17?lang=eng#11

Thoughts? Impressions?

Your thoughts along with Josiah is what my thoughts were also, and am thankful Omegaseamaster75 specified that in the Apocrypha they have Acts of Peter, and others.

My thoughts, out of all the words you think would be written it would be the prophets. The individual who held the keys and the right to deliver God's voice, mind, and will to the people.  Yet, The New Testament contains very little of Peter's words.  

So my thoughts then do turn toward the abominable church. An organization that removed plain and precious truths.  And if you want to remove plain and precious truths.  Who then would provide the most plain and precious truths that would be considered "cannon" or "doctrine" the Lord's anointed he who had been set apart with the keys to preside and deliver Gods will to his children.