After Death Communications

jack42155

HI. My name is Jack and I'm looking for After Death Communications from the Mormon Community. An After Death Communication (or ADC) is when a loved one sends a kind of message to this side of life after their death. It can be a dream or smell (like perfume or roses that would be attached to them in memory) or a feeling of their presence. I first became of ADC's after my daughter died at the age of 35. That was three years ago and now I am writing a book about the experience. What I am looking for are similar experiences from a larger base. A kind of bigger picture. It turns out that EVERYONE has these experiences. What I mean is that all religions and all kinds of persons have it. I have very thoughtful stories from a Buddhist, an attempted murderer and an Atheist.

As I said, I am looking for a bigger picture to write about. This is not about communicating with the dead, voodoo, Wee Gee boards or some such other similar activity. This is about a loved one that sends a message from the other side to basically say I'm ok and I love you.

Stories like these are every where but it's hard to get people to open up about them. It's a little like seeing Big Foot. A lot of people see him but don't want to talk about it because they fear they will be thought to be crazy.

There also seems to be some hesitation when I ask for stories because you wonder what I'm going to do with it. As I said I'm trying to show the bigger picture here. These stories point to a One Love for All and a universality of acceptance.

I hope that some of you can help me. If you have a story please post to me here. Thank you.

It's not fear of being seen as crazy that would stop me. It's desire to keep a sacred experience sacred. Honestly, there are a lot of Near-Death experience books, and to me they just turn into entertainment. This seems to fall under the same category to me. People don't want to make those things common or cheap, generally speaking. I wouldn't want my experiences to be part of a Book of the Month club. Sorry. 

I haven't experienced such thing. I have been spooked but I can have an overactive imagination at times. If I happened to feel the presence of someone I loved who had passed, I doubt I'd share it with anyone but my husband and or children. For me, when dealing with something very personal, I tend to keep it that way.

... Stories like these are every where but it's hard to get people to open up about them. It's a little like seeing Big Foot. A lot of people see him but don't want to talk about it because they fear they will be thought to be crazy.

There also seems to be some hesitation when I ask for stories because you wonder what I'm going to do with it. As I said I'm trying to show the bigger picture here. These stories point to a One Love for All and a universality of acceptance.

I'm not clear what you mean by your terms "One Love for All", and "universality of acceptance."  How do you feel about explaining more about what they mean to you? Also, have you personally experienced anything like what you're asking others to share?

I recall once pulling a blanket from the dryer and flinging it on my bed only to get a big whiff of the perfume Charlie, my dead grandmother's signature scent. Nothing big and I don't mind sharing that story. But I otherwise share the sentiments of others here. I don't like the idea of so many stories being shared so publicly.

Edited by Backroads

I recall once pulling a blanket from the dryer and flinging it on my bed only to get a big whiff of the perfume Charlie, my dead grandmother's signature scent. ...

Smells, odors, and fragrances affect me powerfully. The smell of something I haven't experienced for decades can suddenly transport me back to childhood, to falling in love for the first time, or any number of pleasant memories. I used to sniff some of my father's things sometimes after he died because it brought a certain feeling of comfort.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I know what you are referring to.  Yes, my husband has had those kinds of experiences, but I don't feel comfortable sharing them without his permission.  I have talked to many others who have had these kinds of experiences as well.

Hi. First let me say some things in response....

Eowyn....I could not have said it better myself. You are on point with your observation. And you are correct, these kind of things have a Big Bang in the beginning and then fade away. Nothing...and I mean NOTHING like that is what I'm after. Of the stories I have collected I never forget some one who is and was loved died to allow me to gather that story.

Bini....again I agree. Unless that story is of a sort that shouts to be told.

Back Roads....that's exactly what I'm talking about. Love never dies. I have a similar story of two people that smelled the same thing at the same time.

Classy Lady and Literal Parakeet.... I totally understand and respect that. Perhaps just maybe I will bridge the trust gap and you will be able to share.

OK...here's the deal...

When my daughter died we were not speaking. The details of that deal are personal (as most family matters are). But I do share them in the first chapter of my book. During this time of non communication she contracted pneumonia and ultimately died. I was in California and she was in New Jersey. I flew out on my own (my family stayed here) and found her in the hospital hooked up to all the things you can think of to keep her alive. She was resuscitated but she never regained consciousness. I was there when all was disconnected. The contact occurred the next afternoon in the parking lot of the hotel I was staying in. Actually...checking out from. You might say I was over come with emotion. If I was not the one that had the experience I would say that's what happened. It took about a year to figure out what happened.

I believe that the partition that separates this side of life from the next opened up just enough for her to say I'm sorry. There was not communication like we are having. It was more of a feeling. Much like a downloading from the cloud so to speak. I felt as if I was being filled and at the point of termination...it was over. That was it.

But I knew what happened and when I told my family about it they believed me. And...there's more.

When that partition opened up, in addition to the communication, love came through as well. So much I could touch it and it was overwhelming. An all encompassing love.

I returned home thinking I was the only one. Well of course I was not. I have three daughters and the third one was told a story that basically got me going on this path.

Her friend is named Estrella and she is from Mexico. Educated there she obtained a job in San Diego working for an Attorney. I'm sure many of you have met a woman like Estrella. She's short and slim and not the kind of woman you want to get in an argument with. Feisty would be the one word definition that could be used. She is also the kind that does not believe anything unless she can see it...smell it...taste it and so forth.

But I am leaving out something about the Attorney as well. He was a Buddhist Attorney.

I know....I was amused at the oxymoron as well. The two worked together for many years and a tight bond formed. He was a very committed Buddhist and she a confirmed skeptic.

I'm sure you have skipped ahead in the story and know that he died. He was diagnosed with cancer. The dead kind. I mean the kind when the doctor tells you that you have only a few months left. I'll let you fill in the blanks of how the next few months went for him. Upon his passing Estrella was despondent as you might imagine. Within two weeks after the death, she was a large book store (like a Barns and Noble).

As she walked in there were the normal large tables filled with books. You know...there's the new books or the dogs they are trying to get rid of. Estrella passed these tables but as she did her hip grazed one corner. When this happened ONE book fell off and landed at her feet in front of her. And it landed in the open position.

She looked down at her feet and screamed.

The book fell open to a picture of him. It was the same guy alright. The book was a coffee table book about Buddhism. When the picture was taken he was in Thailand at a ceremony for a kind of promotion within his faith. He was on a bridge symbolizing advancement from one level to the next. Complete with incense, candles and reverence.

After regaining her composure she made arrangements to visit the Attorney's Elder Priest. In this situation it happened to be a woman priest. Sitting down at the Monk's desk Estrella explained the story as it happened. Upon completion there was a brief pause. And then the Monk broke out in laughter. The monk explained....basically...

"He chose you....to tell us....that he is ok."

He chose the one that has to see it....taste it and smell it. The skeptic. After all, how many brand new books can you toss down and have them open to ANY page let alone a particular page! And stay there. In addition to that, think of the travel of the picture. From Thailand to publisher to book store to book store worker that placed the book on the table.

I began thinking on this story. If there was a story about a Buddhist that communicated to this side perhaps there were more. More of a diverse crowd so to speak. I found a book entitled "Simple Miracles from Beyond". An outstanding read which deals with (but not limited to) Jewish stories. Many of the same kind that I told you about here with the Buddhist.

This "Path" I'm on (I know...using the word path is so over used but it does explain my direction) has begun to show me that we are all inter connected in a very real way. Another book entitled "The Field" showed me that. I have these kind of stories from and attempted murderer, an atheist, Catholics and other religions.

I want to find other stories of the caliber of the Buddhist story I told here. I want them from different varied sources. I want to show, and I think I can, that we are all loved and accepted.

OK...that is basically it. What ever you tell me you will have basically editorial rights to make sure I am true and accurate to the story. Please lets keep this dialogue going. So far...you have talked with me the most of any other group I've posted with. Thank you all for that.

Jack

Jack, we're LDS.

We believe that we are eternal spirits.  That we lived before we are born on earth and will continue to live beyond death.  We also believe that mortality is just a stage in the Plan of Happiness that God is guiding us through.  We believe that Love is the ultimate thing God desires for us to learn in mortality - to choose to love with our free will which leads to joy.  We also believe that the marital covenant is the foundation of families where we can exercise our first act of unconditional love and nurture it and magnify it through eternal life.  Family relationships are, therefore, ordained by God and transcends death.  The love one can cultivate within a family reflect that same love for God.  God manifests Himself to us as Father and desires for us to love Him.

Therefore, when you say "One Love for All", yes.  This is a basic tenet in LDS teaching.  It doesn't matter what religion you belong to or the lack thereof.  We believe that every single person on the planet is born with the light of Christ - that desire to choose Love.  You can consider this as your instinctive conscience.  A person's basic instinct is to love another.

Death is just the end of our mortal bodies.  Our consciousness lives on.  Our desire to love lives on.  And this love transcends the barrier between mortal and post-mortal existence.  Therefore, any of those stories you presented is no surprise nor especially magical for LDS folks.  It is just another testament of what we believe.

Yes, I myself have those same stories that are sacred to me as well, so I'm not really wanting to publicize it.  Those experiences are my testimonies of the truth of the gospel.

I will take your act of sharing your story here in the way I think you mean it. I hope you'll accept my remark in a similar spirit because I know it would be easy to indict me for skepticism in an area I don't want to be a skeptic. But I'm one of those who has never had the experience--although I have yearned for it. And so my trial (or rather one of them) in life is to struggle against the pain and be happy for others, and to be faithful even when others insinuate or state directly that I must be dead, too (on the inside) or something along those lines. And of course like many people who don't like being left behind, I can revel in the joy I still perceive in life all around me; and endure to the...well, until we meet again. And wonder at how life works the way it does.

I think it is safe to assume that this is an urban myth.  

I'm just curious if I'm reading too much into your statement, or not. Do you disbelieve any and all claims that some people's loved ones have somehow managed to contact them again after death?

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post/question, but oddly enough, I asked two elders yesterday, the position of the church on this very matter. Background: I'm a "backsliding" Mormon. I don't attend church. I followed my parents guidance. They're Mormons as well, but also backsliders. We never really attended church. Just didn't care for it. We were all (4 of us), extremely close, until two years ago, when Dad decided to move to the next realm, unexpectedly. Mom suffered the greatest and still does. She doesn't really have the will to continue, but I'm working with her very closely. She feels that Dad wants her to follow. She claims that she's seen him in spirit, smiling at her, but dissipates when approached. I'm also a psychologist, so I understand what most would say about her claim. I've had cameras installed all over the house since she won't permit me to stay with her (saying, as Mom's would, "you have your own life). The cameras give me some peace and have actually saved her life on two occasions. She suffers from seizures and falls and has broken many, many bones, including C3 a few years ago. The cameras have recently, within the last two weeks, begun to pick up an unexplainable anomaly. They only react to movement, not light (infrared). The cameras record events, three of which show a fast moving ball, orb, or sphere, moving down the bedroom hall, appearing from closed doors, and seeming to pass through another door. They have emerged from various directions, and varying times of day, all while Mother is alone and sleeping in another part of the house. I can see both, her sleeping and these spheres occurring simultaneously. I've shown the events to Mother and she'll smile and say "yes, that's got to be him." I have no idea, other than to know it's very comforting to us both. The elders yesterday confirmed that the church's stance is that it is completely within reason to believe this communication could be legitimate. I showed them the saved videos and they appeared to be astounded; wide-eyed, wowed. Exciting. My current belief system (varies a little from the church's teaching) but at least I think we're of similar minds with this belief as entirely possible. I certainly hope so. And how very thoughtful and kind of Dad to continue to be as consumed with us after death, as he was in life. He was truly an amazing man, husband and Father.

Edited by RickyB
Typing error. Fat fingers. Small phone.

On 3/3/2018 at 6:48 PM, RickyB said:

I know this is an old post/question, but oddly enough, I asked two elders yesterday, the position of the church on this very matter. Background: I'm a "backsliding" Mormon. I don't attend church. I followed my parents guidance. They're Mormons as well, but also backsliders. We never really attended church. Just didn't care for it. We were all (4 of us), extremely close, until two years ago, when Dad decided to move to the next realm, unexpectedly. Mom suffered the greatest and still does. She doesn't really have the will to continue, but I'm working with her very closely. She feels that Dad wants her to follow. She claims that she's seen him in spirit, smiling at her, but dissipates when approached. I'm also a psychologist, so I understand what most would say about her claim. I've had cameras installed all over the house since she won't permit me to stay with her (saying, as Mom's would, "you have your own life). The cameras give me some peace and have actually saved her life on two occasions. She suffers from seizures and falls and has broken many, many bones, including C3 a few years ago. The cameras have recently, within the last two weeks, begun to pick up an unexplainable anomaly. They only react to movement, not light (infrared). The cameras record events, three of which show a fast moving ball, orb, or sphere, moving down the bedroom hall, appearing from closed doors, and seeming to pass through another door. They have emerged from various directions, and varying times of day, all while Mother is alone and sleeping in another part of the house. I can see both, her sleeping and these spheres occurring simultaneously. I've shown the events to Mother and she'll smile and say "yes, that's got to be him." I have no idea, other than to know it's very comforting to us both. The elders yesterday confirmed that the church's stance is that it is completely within reason to believe this communication could be legitimate. I showed them the saved videos and they appeared to be astounded; wide-eyed, wowed. Exciting. My current belief system (varies a little from the church's teaching) but at least I think we're of similar minds with this belief as entirely possible. I certainly hope so. And how very thoughtful and kind of Dad to continue to be as consumed with us after death, as he was in life. He was truly an amazing man, husband and Father.

Having a few cams myself, they don’t work the same as eyes. They may pick up refracted and/or reflected light as lens flare.  So if you have a car or other object pass, that is reflecting light towards the camera lens, the lens flare (orbs of light) may appear to be traveling, and the disappearing into something solid is an illusion. Point a camera outside to see what is passing at the same time your orbs are “traveling”. 

@jack42155

The Spirit World Is Right Here on Earth http://www.ldsliving.com/Life-After-Death-6-Insights-into-the-Spirit-World/s/77329

In Joseph Smith’s visit to the Johnson farm mentioned earlier, he told Benjamin F. Johnson, “From a boy I have been persecuted  . . . Why should I not wish for my time of rest?” And then he said, “I would not be far away from you, and if on the other side of the veil I would still be working with you, and with a power greatly increased, to roll on this kingdom.”  

This story highlights another important doctrine of the restored gospel: the spirit world is right here on earth and the spirits of our departed loved ones are in reality among us. This doctrine is as comforting to the Saints as it is unique among Christian beliefs of the afterlife. Our deceased family and friends are not gone, neither are they far, far away in some distant “heaven.” The Prophet Joseph Smith taught, “They are not far from us, and know and understand our thoughts, feelings, and motions, and are often pained therewith.”  

I think it is the unique doctrine of salvation for the dead that really gives personal meaning to the doctrine of the spirit world. The teachings of the early Brethren emphasized the nearness of our family, the nearness of the spirit world, the relationship between the two realms, and the fact that spirits continue to be interested and intimately involved in the Lord’s work on both sides of the veil.

http://www.jeankeatonart.com/beliefs/spirits-of-our-loved-ones-are-near/

https://www.lds.org/liahona/1977/12/the-spirit-world-our-next-home?lang=eng