Sports, Sex, Screen and Spirits: Do They Distract Us from Life?

prisonchaplain

I live in the Kingdom of Seahawks. There are more “12th-Man” flags than there are American ones. Seattle deserves to enjoy a good sports team now and then—we’ve had so many heartbreaks. Still, it almost seems cultish to walk into Starbucks, Target, or even some banks, and see the staff wearing the same uniforms.

During the late 80s I taught in Asia. The government was a military dictatorship at the time. To counter cries for freedom and democracy leaders employed a “3-S policy.” They made sports, screen and sex (red light districts) readily accessible. Keep people entertained, they figured, and they won’t revolt. Of course poorer countries have relied on government-subsidized alcohol for generations.

Even the turmoil over sex and gender identity causes me to wonder if we are missing the deepest meanings of life. If I am who I sleep with, or I am how I feel psychologically about my gender—if these matters constitute my core identity, then self-fulfillment remains the highest order.

What if God really made us? What if our Creator loves us? What if He has plans for us? Does it matter? Are we too distracted to notice or care?

Good games are great! Our intimate relationships connect us with love—the highest good. Movies can be powerful and meaningful. However, true joy comes from God. He is love. Life’s ultimate meaning is to reconcile with Him and discover his good plans for our lives.

If I were to engage in an argument over whether watching a bunch of grown men kick a ball around is more real then watching them toss one around is WOULD THAT NOT PROVE MY POINT ABOUT US BEING TOO DISTRACTED TO REALIZE OUR MAKER IS SPEAKING TO US IN A STILL, SMALL VOICE? 

If the shoe fits, ...then what? What if the shoe doesn't fit? I would honestly like to know more about what you're saying.

Sorry...could have sworn your tongue was planted in your cheek on this one.  Yes, I am suggesting that many Americans are too distracted to hear God calling them to himself.  It may be suggested that since I live in an irreligious area that my perspective is jaundiced.  However, I've spoken to too many Texans about how church is scheduled around certain sporting events...entertainment is much easier than coming to terms with our Creator.

If I were to engage in an argument over whether watching a bunch of grown men kick a ball around is more real then watching them toss one around is WOULD THAT NOT PROVE MY POINT ABOUT US BEING TOO DISTRACTED TO REALIZE OUR MAKER IS SPEAKING TO US IN A STILL, SMALL VOICE? 

Hmmm, I for one wouldn't bother arguing about the difference between kicking and tossing a ball (and which is more real, whatever real means). Tell me more, though, about realizing that God is speaking to us.

Sorry...could have sworn your tongue was planted in your cheek on this one.  Yes, I am suggesting that many Americans are too distracted to hear God calling them to himself.  It may be suggested that since I live in an irreligious area that my perspective is jaundiced.  However, I've spoken to too many Texans about how church is scheduled around certain sporting events...entertainment is much easier than coming to terms with our Creator.

OK, I'll give you that it's easy to misunderstand another person's intentions. Trust me. I want to know more about your point of view. I want to know more about how you describe this problem and how you feel it can be resolved.

Edited by UT.starscoper

UT, if the problem is that we're too distracted to hear God, the answer is to become less distracted--and to realize that God is wooing us.  The original setting for my post was LinkedIn.  Of course, many in the business community are distracted by excessive work loads, career-building, etc.  They would not necessarily be open to the message to slow down at work.  So, by coming at the audience from the side (Is our entertainment crowding out the metaphysical?), a few may stop and say, "Hmm...maybe I am missing something here."

So, here we are at LDS.net.  Most are believing in God and trying to pursue Christ's will and his way.  Yet, do we not also get distracted by the "urgent but not important?"

What do we do about it?  Slow down.  Stop.  And then say, "Sorry, LORD.  What is it you're trying to say to me?"

I think we can watch and follow sports and that's not a bad thing. Just like anything else on TV you have to police it ....you never know what will be said and or advertised. Now I also feel we should make time for Spiritual matters in our daily life's. Such things like prayers and of course Scripture reading and study time.

Yes, the four S's do indeed distract us from the important things. The formula of the ancient Roman despots -- bread and circuses -- was already ancient when they implemented it. It is the glittering promise of communism, and is a sure path to slavery. It appears that Americans have finally become foolish enough as a people to accept it.

However, true joy comes from God. He is love. Life’s ultimate meaning is to reconcile with Him and discover his good plans for our lives.

Very true and a worthy reminder. Satan is a master at distraction and our entire world is carefully cultivated to distract us from what is most important, our relationship with God. Thanks for your thoughts.

I live in the Kingdom of Seahawks. There are more “12th-Man” flags than there are American ones. Seattle deserves to enjoy a good sports team now and then—we’ve had so many heartbreaks. Still, it almost seems cultish to walk into Starbucks, Target, or even some banks, and see the staff wearing the same uniforms.

During the late 80s I taught in Asia. The government was a military dictatorship at the time. To counter cries for freedom and democracy leaders employed a “3-S policy.” They made sports, screen and sex (red light districts) readily accessible. Keep people entertained, they figured, and they won’t revolt. Of course poorer countries have relied on government-subsidized alcohol for generations.

Even the turmoil over sex and gender identity causes me to wonder if we are missing the deepest meanings of life. If I am who I sleep with, or I am how I feel psychologically about my gender—if these matters constitute my core identity, then self-fulfillment remains the highest order.

What if God really made us? What if our Creator loves us? What if He has plans for us? Does it matter? Are we too distracted to notice or care?

Good games are great! Our intimate relationships connect us with love—the highest good. Movies can be powerful and meaningful. However, true joy comes from God. He is love. Life’s ultimate meaning is to reconcile with Him and discover his good plans for our lives.

I'd replace distracted with addicted.

Most of us can walk and chew gum at the same time. Surely the solution is to buy a split screen tv so that we can watch our sports and conference broadcasts at the same time thereby ensuring that we do not sacrifice the religious for the profane? :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MormonGator

There is a time and place for everything. You can ruin your life getting obsessed with sports, sex and movies, but the bitter truth is you can also ruin your life if you become obsessed with church 24/7, ignore your family and friends, neglect your job (or worse, get fired from it because all you do is preach and talk about religion with customers) and don't do your other responsibilities.  

My view? Life is meant to be enjoyed. It's okay to go to church on Sunday but watch football Saturday afternoon. 

Edited by MormonGator

I watch sports games on Sunday. I know of many who don't'. If you don't feel you should watch games on Sunday's then by all means don't do it. Like anything else a person can go overboard. Years ago I thought it would be awesome to have several TVs in a room in order to watch multiple NFL games on a Sunday. As a dish network customer and one who subscribes to the NFL redzone I don't need more than one TV.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I wonder if some of us who are active in religious communities might become distracted (from God) by our meetings, callings, and duties (you know...the checklist)?

I think that is a really interesting idea to ponder.  It's easy to say, "I don't have an issue with sports, sex, screen and spirits," and yet still be distracted from the Lord in other way....very subtle ways as you mentioned.  Definitely something to take a look at and re-evaluate in ones self from time to time.