BYU Football: ThugMormons

priesthoodpower

I went to school in happy valley and lived there for over 7 years. Since 1989 to this day I have always had a connection to the football team whether its friends or family on the roster as players or on the coaching staff. Had I been a little bit more skilled could have probably walked on myself back in 2001.

I get sports, I understand football, I understand brotherhood and having each others backs, I get it. As a member of a group (participant or just fan), in this case BYU football, the mentality is us against the world. If a fight were to break out it would be US against THEM.

I no longer live in Utah and dont follow BYU football anymore so I view the university from the eyes of an outsider. Over the years I have witnessed the fights from BYU's football team and the womens soccer. I am still biased and would make the excuse that our BYU players are justified in fighting back or "standing up for themselves". 

However, I just feel that sports brings out the worst in people and for our churchs name to be associated with BYU and then to witness these negative emotional outbursts from our young men and women is sad. Not good PR.

- 2009 womens soccer hair pull

- 2014 Miami bowl brawl

- 2015 cheap shot vs boise st

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ByywIGstPk

Edited by priesthoodpower