I think my ward is going to be split.

Just a few wards in my stake are having a "special" meeting next Sunday evening. That and other things lead me to think that they are changing our boundaries. We moved here ten years ago, and this ward is very much family to me. 

I know a ward is what you make it, and that changes usually bring about growth and other good things, but right this second I'm just really bummed. I love my ward, I love our leaders, and I love where I serve and who I serve with. I'll support whatever has been decided, but I'm going to take some time to pout about it a little. 

Just a few wards in my stake are having a "special" meeting next Sunday evening. That and other things lead me to think that they are changing our boundaries. We moved here ten years ago, and this ward is very much family to me. 

I know a ward is what you make it, and that changes usually bring about growth and other good things, but right this second I'm just really bummed. I love my ward, I love our leaders, and I love where I serve and who I serve with. I'll support whatever has been decided, but I'm going to take some time to pout about it a little. 

lol, I've been trying to help grow my ward enough to split for years! Some folks have all the luck! ;)

I've never lived in a Ward that split while I was there, but I know there are a lot of less than pleasant things that come of it. One thing to consider though, is what it will mean for any people who move in to the ward over the next several months. I would have had a much more miserable time in YW than I did if that ward had not split just before we joined it back in 2001. The families of the youth had all lived in the area for decades, to say they behaved as a clique was putting it very mildly. We had a hard time making a place for ourselves but it would have been nearly impossible had the other youth not been compelled to consider new relationships. Being jolted out of your comfort zone is never a fun time, but it will certainly make a new ward stronger. 

Sounds like there is some division within the church!

We've lived in the same house for the past 27 years.  Our ward has been split about 5 times.  My husband and I were able to weather the splits without too much difficulty, but it was very hard on any teenagers we had at the time.  For some reason, the kids seem to pair up with other kids in the same ward, so when the divisions came, they were often separated from their friends.  I know that people who live outside of Utah may not understand this phenomena, but kids here often form friendships with the kids in the same ward, and when the ward splits, the friendship often goes too.  And, something that is also very Utah--when the ward division was down the middle of our street, all of a sudden, we didn't know what was happening with our neighbors anymore.  It's like there was an invisible wall down the middle of the street.  This has more to do with the fact a lot of our socializing is with the ward.

We've lived in the same house for the past 27 years.  Our ward has been split about 5 times.  My husband and I were able to weather the splits without too much difficulty, but it was very hard on any teenagers we had at the time.  For some reason, the kids seem to pair up with other kids in the same ward, so when the divisions came, they were often separated from their friends.  I know that people who live outside of Utah may not understand this phenomena, but kids here often form friendships with the kids in the same ward, and when the ward splits, the friendship often goes too.  And, something that is also very Utah--when the ward division was down the middle of our street, all of a sudden, we didn't know what was happening with our neighbors anymore.  It's like there was an invisible wall down the middle of the street.  This has more to do with the fact a lot of our socializing is with the ward.

Yeah, but one can still walk down the street and ask how the "Jones" are doing  ;)

Yeah, but one can still walk down the street and ask how the "Jones" are doing  ;)

Yes.  Very true.  But, unfortunately that rarely happens.  If we do happen to see them out mowing the lawn, and we are outside at the same time, we might go over and say "hi".  But, that's maybe once or twice a year at the most, and only with neighbors who are within easy distance.  There are many acquaintances that I haven't seen since the ward splits, but yet we used to know what was going on with their family's lives.

When talking with the neighbors after a split, they mention the "invisible wall" scenario as well.  It is sad. 

Edited by classylady

Guest LiterateParakeet

I've been through two ward splits.  One where I was "split off" and the other where I stayed in the original ward.  Being split off is definitely the hardest, but it is hard all around.  I didn't understand why people got so emotional over ward splits until I went through my first one, and yes, I was quite emotional about it.  

I've decided that a ward split can feel very much like being a child of divorcing parents...you didn't chose it, you don't want it, and yet part of your family is being ripped away.

I know some people (especially if they haven't been through it) will think I'm being overly dramatic, and maybe I am, but it was a great way to explain why it's so painful to non-members.  I think the pain we feel about ward splits speaks volumes about Heavenly Father's wisdom in placing us in wards in the first place. Heavenly Father is a genius.  :)

I've been thinking about that recently...how as humans our natural tendency is to gather with people who are very much like us.  In a ward setting we are alike in that we are all LDS, but we can be very different in so many other ways...even politically.  Being "forced" to associate with people who are different than we are provides so many growth opportunities...and pain when you are separated from these people who become like family to you.  

So good ahead and pout.  I think it means that you are doing it right, learning to love your "assigned" family.  There's nothing wrong with that.  

I've never lived in a Ward that split while I was there,

Please pardon my previous post.  It sometimes happens that growth can occur suddenly in a ward -- new move-ins, and you missed out on it.  But you can see how a ward split means "losing" long time friends, and trying to adjust to a new ward.

Didn't want you to think I was making a personal comment.

So, the ward I went to in Texas had 3 nursery classes with 25+ kids in each one.  That's 75+ kids between 1.5 and 3 years old.  The sacrament meeting is always "noisy".

So then, the ward split and everybody was excited about the split hoping that it will reduce the "noise".

As it turns out, the geographic line of the split was drawn such that the older neighborhoods ended up in one ward and the new development ended up in the other ward... so one ward still had 75+ in nursery but only had 3 deacons while the other ward had 25+ deacons and 4 in nursery...

As it turns out, the geographic line of the split was drawn such that the older neighborhoods ended up in one ward and the new development ended up in the other ward... so one ward still had 75+ in nursery but only had 3 deacons while the other ward had 25+ deacons and 4 in nursery...

Often the emphasis is on balancing  the number of active priesthood leaders and sisters available to fill leadership positions.  But you do make an interesting point.

I understand a group at the stake level makes recommendations on the boundaries of the new wards.  You can imagine how difficult it is when you try to balance up the nursery and deacon's quorum as well.  :pope:

Edited by cdowis

Eowyn, was you ward split?

We just got back from the meeting. There was a split, but we aren't affected. They took another chunk of our ward and put it into the ward next door. I'm sad about some good families being lost from our ward, but I have to admit I'm relieved to get to stay with my ward family. :) I did lose my ward mom, who is also my VT companion. :(