Just going to leave this here, and see what discussion comes.

NeuroTypical

My controversial (hopefully for the sake of conversation) take on Bronies is that it's a counter-culture symbol that people take upon themselves as a means of pseudo-rebellion - A persona that shocks others - A way to go against the grain.

My controversial (hopefully for the sake of conversation) take on Bronies is that it's a counter-culture symbol that people take upon themselves as a means of pseudo-rebellion - A persona that shocks others - A way to go against the grain.

No, I'm sure it's a real thing. I have a nephew who calls himself a Bronie with not a trace of irony. I believe LM (in his current incarnation) is a self-proclaimed Bronie. A year ago, I watched quite a few episodes of "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" with my then-thirteen-year-old daughter, and while I don't quite call myself a Bronie, I honestly enjoyed many of the episodes. I think that I get why so many men (of all ages) are fans of the show, and it doesn't have to do with mental imbalance or impure thoughts about little girls.

No, I'm sure it's a real thing. I have a nephew who calls himself a Bronie with not a trace of irony. I believe LM (in his current incarnation) is a self-proclaimed Bronie. A year ago, I watched quite a few episodes of "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" with my then-thirteen-year-old daughter, and while I don't quite call myself a Bronie, I honestly enjoyed many of the episodes. I think that I get why so many men (of all ages) are fans of the show, and it doesn't have to do with mental imbalance or impure thoughts about little girls.

To be fair, I would guess that most false identities people take upon themselves are done without their being aware they're doing it. Sure, some "goth" kids purposefully went goth, in the know that it was a facade, or what-have-you (are kids still "goth" nowadays? Man I'm getting old).

I wasn't suggesting mental imbalance or impure thoughts about little girls by any means. Nor am I talking about being a reasonable fan of a show -- any show. I particularly like Phineas and Ferb. I'm talking about people who become proclaimed Bronies, dress up, collect toys and decor, and create booths such as above. ;)

Ah. I'm pretty sure that's tongue-in-cheek self-deprecating humor.

I think you have too much faith in the normality of mankind in general then. ;) I expect -- and this based more on my knowledge of Star Wars fandom than Bronies -- that people tend to take their adopted personas way too seriously for the most part, and there's nothing tongue-in-cheek about it. Not exclusively, of course...but...

I'm sure you're right in some case. Maybe always.

I am not going to try Brahnies, or Broanies, however it is pronounced.

I have good, positive healty hobbies.  Guns and motorcycles.

Oddly enought there is one major California Gun forum and ... sure enough, some Bronies there.  Several of whom are in the military.

I suppose if I was a 13 year old girl I would like it.

dc

What's wrong with dressing up? Other than it's fun.

What's wrong with collecting toys? Other than toys can be fun.

What's wrong with decor? Other than it's a decoration of something you enjoy.

What's wrong with creating booths and sharing things that you like, or believe in?

If it comes down to it all of these things are pretty similar sports fans with their uniforms (dress up), balls/equipment (toys), team flags etc (decor), and get togethers (conventions). Any type of fan really...music... contemporary art...etc...

The only difference is one is deemed socially unacceptable.

Now if some of you want to create a discussion of creating and worshiping idols, that can be had, but it can be found more than just with bronies.

I've met quite a few otherwise normal seeming missionaries who are also bronies btw.

Edited by Crypto

I am not going to try Brahnies, or Broanies, however it is pronounced.

I have good, positive healty hobbies.  Guns and motorcycles.

Oddly enought there is one major California Gun forum and ... sure enough, some Bronies there.  Several of whom are in the military.

I suppose if I was a 13 year old girl I would like it.

dc

I don't even know where to start.

Yay - I make controversy!

Honestly, the only thing I was thinking when I posted the picture, was Facebook tells me the BYU Bronies group has 283 members, and a UofU Brony group doesn't seem to exist at all.   :lol:   As a UofU grad, I've got to poke a bit of fun at BYU folks who might be nervous about these guys.

Full disclosure: I made it a point to learn everything possible about the show and it's odd fandom, right after a heavily pierced and tattoed dude in his 20's came up and offered my 13 yr old daughter a hoof bump in a WalMart right in front of me.  4 years later, here are some conclusions:

* There exist a subsection of bronies who absolutely need to be kept away from children and decent folk.

* That's true for just about every demographic out there.

* Most of the rest of 'em are pretty harmless.  Some are pretty dang cool.

* In terms of addiction, Phineas and Ferb is like alcohol, My Little Pony is like crystal meth.  If you've got an artistic bone in your body, you can be so easily hooked by the fandom's creativity that it's impossible to break away without an intervention.

* Applejack is best pony.

While the art at the stand is not a bad representation of the mlp characters, something about it seem unappealing to me. It's probably that there is a lack of an interesting background, and other things in the images, though a few of the smaller ones might be better, but it's hard to tell...

Applejack is in no way best pony btw.

Edited by Crypto