Curious about hair color on mission

ferced

Hi! I'm a girl currently considering going on a mission and just had a quick question. I hope this question doesn't sound silly but it probably will :) I'm 18, soon to be 19 years old and have been bleaching my hair blonde since I was in middle school. I'm a natural brunette. Every month or so I usually have to go to the salon to get my roots dyed so they don't start growing out. I love my hair and the color that it is but I'm unsure if I would be able to maintain my hair color every month on a mission. I'm wondering if I should dye my hair back before I put in my papers, or are there ways to maintain hair color on a mission? Do you have time to ever do that? Sorry for the silly question haha just genuinely curious!

Guest LiterateParakeet

Congratulations on your desire to fill a mission.  I served a mission and it was a wonderful experience.  I wouldn't trade it.

I think it would be difficult to maintain a color in the mission, unless you do it yourself.  Missionaries have very little "free time".  They basically have one day a week set aside for personal business, Preparation day...affectionately called P-day.  One that day missionaries grocery shop, do the laundry, read and write letters/email, etc.  I believe P-day ends at 5 or 6 pm, so as I said it's a very short time. I doubt your companion(s) would relish spending that precious time at the beauty salon on a regular basis.   If I were you I would go back to your normal color, just for the mission.  You can always color it again when you come home.  

I do have to agree with the Parakeet here.

Also I think it's part of being honest is in your appearance, hair color, no tattoos, no metal adornments or piercings in your body.

I think also you should wear modest attire, not "flashy, glamourous" clothes.

And no 'perfume'.

Remember you will be an official representative of the church here.

dc

Guest MormonGator

Hi! I'm a girl currently considering going on a mission and just had a quick question. I hope this question doesn't sound silly but it probably will :) I'm 18, soon to be 19 years old and have been bleaching my hair blonde since I was in middle school. I'm a natural brunette. Every month or so I usually have to go to the salon to get my roots dyed so they don't start growing out. I love my hair and the color that it is but I'm unsure if I would be able to maintain my hair color every month on a mission. I'm wondering if I should dye my hair back before I put in my papers, or are there ways to maintain hair color on a mission? Do you have time to ever do that? Sorry for the silly question haha just genuinely curious!

Actually, it's not silly at all! You raise a great question! 

For me, because I couldn't live by the rules of a mission, I wouldn't go on one. IE-I wouldn't cover my tattoos, cut my hair or get rid of the piercings that I have. Because of that, I choose not to go on a mission. No apologies. I've dyed my hair blue and green before. I loved it. 

You can be a wonderful missionary and not go on an official mission. Every member truly is a missionary! 

Edited by MormonGator

Part of being honest is hair color? That's ridiculous. Should the sister missionaries refrain from wearing makeup, too? Tights? Any kind of heel that would make them taller?

I think time would be the biggest constraint, and money, as well as availability depending on where you go. But natural hair color doesn't make you any more honest or worthy, it just makes your hair a different color.

Eowyn

You know we have to consider context.  Where we live and what environment, etc.

In Los Angeles there are vast armies of women who are fake and false in many regards.  And it all seems to start with fake hair color, then progresses on to fake body parts, tattoos, metal piercings in overt and covert body locations, far too much makeup, glitzy gaudy jewelry, etc.

Yes, I am including all that plastic surgery, implants, and who knows what else.

Yes, I do think it is inappropriate.  If it were only the hair color, ok, but what I have seen is, it never is.

I did mention "perfume".  Far too many of them smell like a chemical factory from about 50 feet away. 

Some makeup, yes, but not the gaudy over application that is seen in far too many places where I go.  (But far less here in Utah - I think I'd like to stay here.)

dc

If it's only deodorant, ok.

But if it's a half quart of "perfume" (read smelly chemicals, to which MANY people have an allergy) which can be overwhelming from 50 feet away, then it's offensive.  And inappropriate.

In fact, if you ever attend symphony, opera, etc., in certain places they will by written word tell you, no perfume, people have allergies.

dc

I'm a smart blond.  :)

Or blonde, as the case may be.

It occurs to me that deodorant is a lie, too.

That and the cake.

Speaking of stinky perfume, I have had only one real experience with that, about ten years ago at an opera. An older lady behind us had apparently bathed in a lilac-scented perfume which, had it been a mere hint, might have been pleasant. Instead, it was so overpowering as to (literally) give me a headache. We had to ask to be reseated -- and got slightly better seats, near the rail of the balcony, as I recall.

Before that point, I had regarded claims to chemical sensitivity with some skepticism and had supsected that many of those complaining were simply controlling whiners. That experience taught me differently.

I served a mission in Europe many years ago.  Prior to going on my mission I dyed my hair to a strawberry blonde color (my natural color is light brown).  While on my mission, the only way I could maintain the color job was to do it myself.  And, even then, after a short time in the mission field, I got tired of the time it took to do it.  There were more important things I wanted to do.  So, I went back to my natural hair color.  I would never have expected a missionary companion to sit at a salon while I had my hair done, and that is exactly what they would have had to do.  After my mission I went back to coloring my hair on occasion.  I do highlights to this day.

Also, keep in mind, depending on where you are sent, you may not have access to hair color.  And, I don't know if there are mission rules on the matter.  Things may have changed since I was on my mission.

In modern (especially 21st-century) American English, we have abolished any linguistic gender, sometimes by fiat. It's considered poor taste in many circles to use the word "actress" any more, and many other gendered words are laughed at. So I am sure you're correct that "blond" and "blonde" are largely considered as mere spelling variations -- a matter of taste, as it were.

But for the many people who still observe the distinction of gendered words, "blonde" is the feminine version, properly used when applied to women (e.g. "Look at the blonde in the blue dress"). In contrast, "blond" is the basic root word, applied to men and to any other non-gendered adjectival usage (e.g. "The tall blond with the striped tie is the master of ceremonies", "The woman has blond hair", "The dog's coat is blond").

In any case, I was trying to be funny with mild snark, not looking to make an actual correction.

Even doing it yourself might be a pain in the butt to colour. Maybe use a shampoo with colour? I'm not a hair stylist expert, so not sure how well that would work with naturally being dark and trying to maintain lighter hair. Wouldn't hurt to see what your hair stylist suggests, and what your options, if any are.

As a missionary, you are going to be too busy and have a small budget. You are not going to be able to maintain a hairstyle that needs an update every month. Also, you don't want a style that you will need lots of time in the day to keep up--that means, you don't want to worry about spending 30 min on your hair just to make it out of the door.

I suggest you talk to your stylist now and make the changes now so you can be used to it. 

Edited by beefche

... Sorry for the silly question haha just genuinely curious!

Likewise, you may think my response is silly, but for me, it's meaningful in terms of how we appear (or don't appear) and how we truly are. It's from Lord of the Rings when Tom Bombadil tells Frodo, “Hey! Come Frodo, there! Where be you a-going? Old Tom Bombadil's not as blind as that yet. Take off your golden ring! Your hand's more fair without it." I'm thinking the people on your mission will find you just as fair without the dye at all. 

You could get called to the Philippines or the like. I'm not sure maintaining bleach blond is even viable somewhere like that.

She'd have no problem in the Philippines, or most Asian countries, as the women there are constantly bleaching their skin and hair to appear more Caucasian. The blonde dyes are how a lot of Asians end up with that coppery bronzy tone to their naturally dark hair.

She'd have no problem in the Philippines, or most Asian countries, as the women there are constantly bleaching their skin and hair to appear more Caucasian. The blonde dyes are how a lot of Asians end up with that coppery bronzy tone to their naturally dark hair.

Yep!  LOL.  Only in the Philippines will you find people using umbrellas even when there's no rain.  hah hah.

But, it's hard to find hair color that you normally can pick up from a grocery store or a pharmacy in the US.  They don't sell those in the Philippines.  So, you're gonna need to go to the salon.  They do have salon people who does home service, but I don't think you're allowed to have them come to the mission house (not sure about this).

In any case, I agree with a lot of people here.  You just don't want to have to worry about all that in a mission.  You want to just concentrate on serving God and not get distracted by these type of things if you can possibly avoid it.

You miss the point. In most of my areas in the Philippines, I was in the boonies where it was mostly bamboo huts, coconut trees, etc. Sure, you could go into the cities or whatnot for things...but as missionaries that was not really always an option. Obviously in the broad country "the Philippines" there is access to such things...but not necessarily in many areas where a missionary might be assigned, and the limited scope of where they are allowed to travel.

missionary regulations for appearance are on the conservative side. How easy it would be to maintain that hairstyle would probably depend on where you went. On the male side of the misison we only had around half a day (probably closer to 2/3rds) per week to prepare for the rest of the week - such things as laundry, shopping and any dedicated exercises that required more than half an hour or other major needs that would be beyond the daily morning and evening hours prep time for daily hygiene.

I don't know the specifics for the ladies but i wouldn't be surprised if they were given a bit more than what the guys had.

Edited by Blackmarch