Not buying into this

jana7

Guest LiterateParakeet

Guys, the title of this thread caused me to raise an eyebrow too, but then I read the OP, and the subsequent post...and realized that there was NO ILL intent.   

The OP is relatively new here, let's not scare her away over a misunderstanding.  

He's ok for an 88 year old.

And he has a walking problem.  Someone had to hold his arm and walk him in on Saturday and Sunday. 

But Saturday night he gave a good speech with no problem.

However, at 88 you may have good days and bad days.  Trying to get his good days on Conference days may be a problem.

I didn't see the Sunday a.m. session, only the afternoon session.

dc

Edited by David13

I also thought their Secretary was always close by ....... . .?

The Prophet's or GA's in general?  Or First Presidency?

Because I lived next door to the lady who was President Eyring's secretary for years and years until she retired a year or so ago and she wasn't always there.  Just during working hours.

I won't be watching the Conference broadcasts until next Sunday, but the descriptions of President Monson that I've read here remind me of what Joseph Smith said about Sydney Rigdon when they were receiving what is now section 76 of the Doctrine and Covenants. 

“Joseph sat firmly and calmly all the time in the midst of a magnificent glory, but Sidney sat limp and pale, apparently as limber as a rag, observing which, Joseph remarked, smilingly, ‘Sidney is not used to it as I am.’” (Juvenile Instructor, May 1892, pp. 303–4.)

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-student-manual/section-69-80/section-76-the-vision-of-the-degrees-of-glory?lang=eng

I once served with a bishop whose workload was such that often he would fall asleep during sacrament meeting.  He was a young bishop - just stretched.  We all have physical limitations - that's part of our mortal probation.  And we are all on the same path of life towards aging, growing old and dying.   The man that once served so many other during the times of physical limitations - now must himself subject himself into the service of others.

My father would serve and do anything for anyone but his greatest challenge was allowing himself to be served by others.  I do not know president Monson on a personal basis so I do not know if he was like my father but I suspect so because he seldom tells stories of him receiving service - something also difficult for my father.  My father was the greatest man I have known - but he did not like to be served and up to his death resisted being served - very emotionally distort that he could not serve his wife and children as he had desired his entire life.  

I believe we can all realize that if President Monson can struggle with his calling but still presses on - so can we all press on with whatever difficulty we face in serving and fulfilling our callings.

I'm glad to read that clarification. But in that case, just who is it that's saying the stuff that you're "not buying into"?

Outsider view:  When I saw the headline I wondered about the intent.  However, after reading the original post, I took it that the OP simply believes that the President may be struggling health-wise, more than is being publicized.  The angle was not "Why the deception?" but rather, "I'm going to pray for him, since he's clearly needing strength."

There are any number of reasons why a person may not want to let on what kind of shape they're in.

This can be anything from simple pride to a fear that others may be demoralized if they knew the full details.

For example, FDR went to length to hide his paralysis from the general public; not only did he not want people to think of the President as being infirm, he feared that foreign spies and would-be assassins might identify the kind of special equipment he needed (such as an elevator to board planes) and so recognize where he was.

I noticed in the 100 years of scouting celebration that Pres. Monson was "showing his age".  I was concerned about how much it affected him.  During April Conference, I didn't see anything blatant.  But I got a subtle impression that he was not at full strength.  This stood to reason when we consider his age.

During this conference I noticed and panicked. I was wondering if Pres. Nelson was worried about succeeding two predecessors in six months.

But I believe that he (Monson) is pretty healthy for his age.  And he will continue to have his ups and downs appropriate for his age as time moves along.  But as Pres. Nelson said, the Lord has put in to place a system whereby the work will continue as it should regardless of which specific individuals will be administering that system.

That said, I'm sure we'll all be doing a little more praying for the Prophet in the coming months.

Long time ago, even before I got baptized, my husband told me that he feels Pres Monson will be the Prophet when the End Times come.  Of course, he has no basis at all for this statement, just some "feeling" he had after pondering one of his talks.