What's Your Verse? (Let's Ponderize Together)

Guest LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet

Let's follow the counsel from Conference today and Ponderize!  Please share your scripture (and if you like testimonies of how doing this helps you) here.  I'll start.  My first scripture for Ponderizing will be:

• Romans 15:13

13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing,  that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

I made it the lock screen on my phone, and I'll save it as my signature.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

The Church has two apps that are for this purpose, if not known already: LDS Gospel Library and Scripture Mastery.  If you like a verse you can import that verse now to Scripture Mastery to ponderize.

Does Scripture Mastery post it on the fridge for you though? ;)

... Please share your scripture (and if you like testimonies of how doing this helps you) here. ...

What an uplifting idea. I liked the scripture you provided, too. Helaman 14:15-19 is meaningful to me and particularly helpful to me in my understanding of the nature of my Savior's atonement.

Edited by UT.starscoper

Citing your source would be the honest thing, but I don't suppose your source is okay to cite here. Which should tell you something.

Provided that is the whole and honest truth... So? They are smart enough to know that someone else would do it, so they got ahead of it. They say they are donating profits. What makes you think they wouldn't?

I'm also curious to know what you googled, exactly. What's icky to me is to go around looking for trouble, then fashioning stumbling blocks to toss at people before you go into hiding again.

Let's follow the counsel from Conference today and Ponderize!  Please share your scripture (and if you like testimonies of how doing this helps you) here.  I'll start.  My first scripture for Ponderizing will be:

• Romans 15:13

13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing,  that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

I made it the lock screen on my phone, and I'll save it as my signature.

As we ponderize - we can do so from many levels.  I have often ponderized and studied the literal structure of scripture.  Anciently it was believed that even the text format of scripture could not be accomplished without divine assistance.  It appears to me that the entire chapter of Romans 15 was written in plain verse - this means that each individual verse is intended to be part of the whole or if you will that chapter is intended to be understood without think in terms of each verse - rather that each verse adds to the central idea of the entire chapter.

As I ponderize - it seems to me that this chapter was not written to be understood by a specific individual - but rather it addresses a collective congregation of saints.  Or if we will consider the combined efforts of a ward or branch to come together - assisting one another.  Thus the joy and peace is not meant for an individual but to a congregation working together.  I believe that verses 3-5 are critical to understanding anything in this chapter.  That even Christ was not about pleasing himself (his own salvation) but willing to sacrifice himself that all many find relief in eternal life with G-d.  That we find peace and hope in our service to others rather than hope just in our own salvation.

I am ponderizing Omni 1:26 this week:

"And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved."

If anyone has an insight or something about this verse I could be pondering, your thoughts are welcome!

I am ponderizing Omni 1:26 this week:

"And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved."

If anyone has an insight or something about this verse I could be pondering, your thoughts are welcome!

Probably nothing you aren't already familiar with. The verses connection to Moroni 10: 32-33. :)  "Deny oneself of all ungodliness."

I found it. It's for a week. 

Second, he encouraged listeners to “ponderize” one verse of scripture each week.

“The word ‘ponderize’ is not found in the dictionary, but it has found a place in my heart,” he said. “So what does it mean to ponderize? I like to say it’s a combination of 80 percent extended pondering and 20 percent memorization.”

Brother Devin G. Durrant: 'My Heart Pondereth Them Continually'

Nephi's Psalm. (too long to paste here).

I say this because while I've had many "favorite" scriptures, this passage just keeps coming up in my life.  I've known about it since seminary.  But it first struck me during my morning scripture study as I was ending my mission.  It described much of my life and my mission.

Since that time it has come up again and again.  I'm about to be laid off and this is a perfect time to go over it again.  It is a time to let the Lord be my support.  It is a reminder that I need to trust in the arm of the Lord rather than the arm of flesh.

I have seen the ups and downs of life for many decades.  But the four times in my life that I about fell apart, I think of the poem "footsteps in the sand" and Nephi's Psalm.  As I ponderize, I know with a surety that all the worst experiences in my life were absolutely necessary for my growth and development.  They made me who I am today.  I really am not the man I was 20 years ago or even 5 years ago.

The Lord has been refining me again and again.  Considering where I was at and where I am, I have yet to be put into the fire more than a few times.  But maybe I'll have hope next time because I know that (D&C 122) that it really is to give me experience and shall be for my good.

Nephi wrote chapters and chapters. So did Jacob. We read about great and worthy Patriarchs and then we get to the seldom quoted Book of Omni and I often wonder why it was included in the Book of Mormon. Why did Mormon spend precious time and space to include this chapter?

1 Behold, it came to pass that I, Omni, being commanded by my father, Jarom, that I should write somewhat upon these plates, to preserve our genealogy—

2 Wherefore, in my days, I would that ye should know that I fought much with the sword to preserve my people, the Nephites, from falling into the hands of their enemies, the Lamanites. But behold, I of myself am a wicked man, and I have not kept the statutes and the commandments of the Lord as I ought to have done.

3 And it came to pass that two hundred and seventy and six years had passed away, and we had many seasons of peace; and we had many seasons of serious war and bloodshed. Yea, and in fine, two hundred and eighty and two years had passed away, and I had kept these plates according to the commandments of my fathers; and I conferred them upon my son Amaron. And I make an end.

Omni gives us a scant 3 verses and passes the plates along to his son who has little more to say than did his father. In fact, four generations and a hundred years pass and nobody has anything to say. Each follows the example of his father, both in righteousness and in writing.

And it occurred to me to wonder what example I'm setting for my children. What will they have to write?

And suddenly I can see some value in having the Book of Omni to remind me that I am leading my children even when I decide not to lead.

From Jeremiah 29

11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
 12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.
 13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Nephi wrote chapters and chapters. So did Jacob. We read about great and worthy Patriarchs and then we get to the seldom quoted Book of Omni and I often wonder why it was included in the Book of Mormon. Why did Mormon spend precious time and space to include this chapter?

A slight correction...  Mormon found the small plates of Nephi and inserted them per God's command...  He did not re-write them or need to find more time or material then it took him to insert them.