Everyday Spiritual Experiences

While browsing through some old threads, I came across someone posting about the discomfort from her garments.  While I believe it unfortunate that thread ended badly, I did not see any comments about what I call the “Everyday Spiritual Experience from Covenants”.

When I put on my garments in the morning I see it as much more than a reminder of my temple covenants.  I recognize that while getting dressed, the Lord is with me.  I just had a spiritual experience getting dressed in the morning.  And while this may seem almost absurd to many, I get a similar spiritual experience going to the bathroom.

When I go by the break room several times a day at work and see the coffeemaker or smell the coffee or even going by someone’s desk while they have a cup of joe, I’m not just reminded of a covenant.  I have a spiritual experience.  I don’t spend my time criticizing others for drinking a body and mind destroying substance.  I am considering that walking around the office is a chance to be reminded that the Lord is part of every aspect of my life, even eating and drinking.  I sit down at a restaurant and consider what drink I’m going to have with my meal and I skip over the alcoholic section and I realize that the Lord is having dinner with me.

As I write an email or other communication, I try not to use vulgar language.  Writing an email is a spiritual experience. 

If I believe that the Word of Wisdom is merely our health code, I’m missing out on an important aspect of what it means to be under a covenant with the Lord.  If I see the temple garments as “chastity armor”, not only do I find that pretty ineffective, but I am missing out on the aspect of a connection with Deity.

As evidence, I see the promise of the Word of Wisdom.  Not only will we have greater health, but “the destroying angel will pass (us) by” and we shall have “great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures.”  It occurred to me that over the past four years, I’ve found so many statements by so many non-member sources of varying levels of respect/animosity towards us that they often admit two things about Mormons: 1) They are honest and kind people with good family values.  2) They tend to be very smart people.

I believe there are more blessings we receive each day than we really pay attention to.

When I go by the break room several times a day at work and see the coffeemaker or smell the coffee or even going by someone’s desk while they have a cup of joe, I’m not just reminded of a covenant.  I have a spiritual experience.  I don’t spend my time criticizing others for drinking a body and mind destroying substance.  I am considering that walking around the office is a chance to be reminded that the Lord is part of every aspect of my life, even eating and drinking.  I sit down at a restaurant and consider what drink I’m going to have with my meal and I skip over the alcoholic section and I realize that the Lord is having dinner with me.

Your a better person than me, when I walk by someone with a fresh cup of joe, I suck in as much of the aroma as I can.  Smells great..