The public school teacher salary thread

Vort

Yes.  Because, what makes most of them seem like idiots is the EDUCATION SYSTEM that they are bound by.

But what about the low test scores most teachers apparently have?

And how many years would you predict it would take the public perception to change?

Edited by Backroads

But what about the low test scores most teachers apparently have?

And how many years would you predict it would take the public perception to change?

When these teachers have to compete for a job in the private market, those who are not effective will find it difficult to stay employed which leaves room for those who are effective but just couldn't see themselves teaching in the kind of environment we have today.

I predict that the public perception will change immediately - or at least be put on hold.  This kind of change tends to bring the system - and the perceptions that go with it - on a reset.

Without reading all the posts, I believe teachers, at least here in California are more than fairly compensated. 

1.  It's essentially a part time job what with 10 weeks in summer, Xmas break, Spring break etc etc

2.  Can't be fired unless one is a criminal and even then..........

3.  Pension after 30 years 90% of pay.  This is almost non existant in the private sector.

4.  Health Care paid for life.  This is almost non-existant in the private sector.

5.  Fairly decent salary when one considers all the perks.

I've heard of teachers putting extraordinary hours :rolleyes: , I've just never seen it in real life.  I used to audit a school district.

Without reading all the posts, I believe teachers, at least here in California are more than fairly compensated. 

1.  It's essentially a part time job what with 10 weeks in summer, Xmas break, Spring break etc etc

It's usually six weeks, and then there are those continuing education mandates (unpaid).  Also, the contracts are written so that the pay reflects days-worked, so it's really unfair to fault the teachers for these six weeks.

I'd also point out that in civil service, after 15 years (military time counts) we earn 8-hours a pay period, or just over 4-weeks a years.  We also earn a little over two weeks of sick leave. 

Calling education a part-time job is a pot-shot.  Especially since, at least in my family's experience, teacher takes the job home a lot more than I do.

This is a common myth.  Teachers are evaluated by their principals, can be re-assigned by them, and are now often held accountable for their students' results on "high-stakes tests."  The turnover rate is a lot higher than many think.

3.  Pension after 30 years 90% of pay.  This is almost non existant in the private sector.

In Washington State it's 2% a year, or 60%.  BUT, teachers contribute a portion of their salaries towards that retirement.  Also, the newer system is 1% + a 401K with some matching.  It is better than many private sector jobs, but not nearly as outrageous as this point makes it out to be.

4.  Health Care paid for life.  This is almost non-existant in the private sector.

My wife's healthcare is only for herself.  If she had to support the family $800/month would come out of her paycheck.  In contrast, my civil service healthcare requires us to pay a little over $300 for family coverage. 

I've heard of teachers putting extraordinary hours :rolleyes: , I've just never seen it in real life.  I used to audit a school district.

I live with a teacher.  She brings home plenty of work.  There are several here who could testify that teachers do a lot of work outside of official hours.

Gotta say I miss the pension of the public sector.

I too have yet to see the 70-80 hour workweeks in reality. I know quite a few teachers who go beyond our 40-hour contract time, but never to the degree of legend. Staying after/coming in early contract hours is common, but if you're living at the school, it's your own choice and you're probably making extra work for yourself, not trying to survive.

I have no problem with seeing my job as a part-year job, but I do complain when people  insist I have paid holidays and summers. My contract does not work that way.

Edited by Backroads

Teachers’ hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months a year! And with the focus on getting the budget back into surplus, I thought it’s time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do — babysit!

Let’s be honest, parents can get that for less than minimum wage. But I guess they do have some kind of qualification, so we really can’t offer less than the minimum.

That’s right. Let’s give them AU$16.37 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be AU$65.48 a day (9-3 but I’ve taken an hour off for lunch, 15mins for recess and another 45mins for the odd free period they might get – let’s just call their working day 4hrs.)

So each parent should pay $65.48 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children (My 3yo’s daycare is about AU$90 per day… so pretty good value!).

Now how many students do they teach in a day…maybe 30? But I’m not counting those kids who just sit there and do what they’re told… seriously monkeys could do that… so let’s just say only about about 15 or so kids really need ‘looking after’.

So that’s AU$65.48 x 15(kids) = AU$982.20 a day. I’m sure we can work it out so the costs are spread evenly across parents.

Sounds like a lot, but don’t worry… these bludgers only work 40 weeks a year! I ain’t paying for them to go on their luxury yachting holidays I can tell you that!

And just to be on the safe side, we’ll knock off another week or two to cover public holidays and sick days…  sod it… I’m taking off another month!

So rounding it down to 36 weeks, these jokers are only working 180 days a year!

Let’s see if my primary school math teacher did anything right…

That’s AU$982.20 X 180= $176,796 per year. Erm… hang on… what’s happened here?

A classroom teacher of 8 years experience at the top of the scale earns around 90 grand.

AU$90,000/180 days =AU $500 per day ÷ 30 students = $16.67 (just over minimum wage) ÷ 4 (working) hours = AU$4.17 per hour per student (and that’s before tax!) — a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!)

WHAT A DEAL!!!!

http://danhaesler.com/2014/06/02/we-pay-teachers-waaaay-too-much/

So rounding it down to 36 weeks, these jokers are only working 180 days a year!

Let’s see if my primary school math teacher did anything right…

That’s AU$982.20 X 180= $176,796 per year. Erm… hang on… what’s happened here?

Which is why I say that good teachers are getting the shaft, and should open their own schools: they'd make way more money.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

• 3 years later...

Well, the problem of the teacher thread. You can choose another job with a different salary. It will be easier for you to look for a job. It happens that teachers find it difficult to find a job and then I advise them to write a resume here. They immediately find. A good resume is a key to getting a good job. It's my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2015 at 9:18 PM, omegaseamaster75 said:

Nope I agree with you Vort, it is almost a part time job they are fairly compensated. When you add in the pensions and other benefits they are very well compensated

I believe that the time is coming when raising children will be consider far more important than is the case these days.  

https://www.near-death.com/experiences/notable/howard-storm.html#a04

The future that they showed me was almost no technology at all. What everybody, absolutely everybody, in this euphoric future spent most of their time doing was raising children. The chief concern of people was children, and everybody considered children to be the most precious commodity in the world.