Song of Solomon. How do you apply it in today's life?

Uhura

The Bible dictionary has some interesting things on it.  It isn't inspired scripture.  It is sometimes called Canticles (Latin) or Song of Songs (Hebrew) and may not have been written by Solomon.

That being said, what exactly does it mean and how does it apply to today?

The Bible dictionary has some interesting things on it.  It isn't inspired scripture.  It is sometimes called Canticles (Latin) or Song of Songs (Hebrew) and may not have been written by Solomon.

I don't. Never fancied calling a woman's chest to be like deer butts. No idea why it got included by those who compiled the bible.... Maybe they were having a husband/wife problems in society at the time or something.

I suppose there might be some day when it may have more meaning for me, but that day is not today.

Edited by Blackmarch

It is a permanently sealed book, never to be opened except to those who have already read the inspired scriptures several hundred times, ponderized a thousand scriptures, raised a righteous family, done many years of humanitarian service.......

Did I mention temple and missionary work?  Home teaching, family history and indexing.

IOW, those who have ALOT of time on their hands after doing "the basics".

PS I hope that I wasn't too subtle in my response.

Edited by cdowis

I first read Song of Solomon when I was maybe in my early 20s. I thought it was beautiful in a romantic way (though the very term "romantic" is sadly anachronistic). What it taught to me is that a man's love for his wife is not a new concept unique to the Western world, and that the ancients did not all see their women as substitutable chattel, which is more or less the current feminist version of history.

I'm not much impressed by its spiritual depth, though I don't consider myself an arbiter of such things. I get a lot more mileage out of other OT books. But having a translation of a mildly erotic ancient Hebrew love poem right there among the revelations and sacred histories is kind of interesting.

Edited by Vort

Most probably know that Protestants and Catholics believe the Song of Songs is inspired by the Holy Spirit.  The writing beautifully describes a marriage rooted in love.  Some also see that, in a prophetic sense, the poetry describes the love relationship God has with Israel, as well as that which exists between Christ and his Church. 

Edited by prisonchaplain

Great lines for breaking the ice on Christian Mingle :D 

When we lived in Illinois we had a very dignified and modest  Sunday school teacher. it was kinda funny, because whenever there was a hint of sex in the weekly curriculum, he would say he was sick and ask my husband to teach the class.  Whenever people saw my husband at the podium they knew the lesson was about sex. 

My hubby did end up teaching the classes on Song of Solomon, which we believe picture the love of Christ for the church, God's love for Israel (as Prison chap. said) as well marital love. 

Interesting......  I often think that the literal interpretation of scripture will leave someone with very strange ideas.  What is the biggest surprise to me is that the non-LDS seem to have a better handle on the symbolism of the Song of Solomon than do many LDS????  But when it comes to Genesis all of a sudden symbolism is abandoned. 

Part of understanding scripture is the ancient style used - Both the Song of Solomon and Geneses are written with poetic structure.

I think LDS people have a hard time seeing the relationship of Christ and His church equated to a romantic relationship. For me anyway, a marriage seems easier in the abstract, but as a romance is more a stretch for me. Especially when Solomon is talking about bosoms and getting pretty sensual. On a basic level I struggle with accepting the analogy. 

I think LDS people have a hard time seeing the relationship of Christ and His church equated to a romantic relationship. For me anyway, a marriage seems easier in the abstract, but as a romance is more a stretch for me. Especially when Solomon is talking about bosoms and getting pretty sensual. On a basic level I struggle with accepting the analogy. 

And yet marriage and all it beauty - including very personal intimate relationships (sensuality - or sexual activity) is a basic tenet of LDS doctrine - not to be avoided but to be kept sacred.  I think???

Edited by Traveler