Christ-Centered Life

What do you do to keep a Christ-Centered mentality?

I've been pondering the principle that we are to center our lives on Jesus Christ.  The word "center" clearly led me to the theologic concentric circles (Core, Dogma, Doctrines, Beliefs).  I would also add another circle -- "practices".

The GAs have clearly defined what is "core":

“The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it.” (Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith)

Other quotes also include that he was the Only Begotten of the Father, was born of a virgin, that he lived a perfect life, and performed the atonement.

Nephi describes our dependence on Christ as:

...the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost... (2 Ne 31:21).

It seems that we spend a lot of time on a forum such as this spinning out into the outer circles.  We debate doctrines, beliefs, and practices.  We've even debated some dogma.  Obviously, we don't debate the core.  I think everyone's pretty clear on that.

Most of us are critical thinkers.  Most of us it seems are fairly good debaters.  We might even enjoy it.  (Quote: It's no use debating with an engineer.  Sooner or later you realize that the engineer likes it.)  Obviously the site wouldn't be as "exciting" without some good debates. 

But having this mentality (assuming a good portion of it continues into our offline lives) tends to take us away from the core in our hearts and minds.

Lately it seems mine is spinning away from the center.  A LOT is going on in my life.  A forum like this is actually bringing me back.  That is why you see me on here so much even with all that is happening.

So I'm wondering what some of you all do to keep a Christ-Centered mentality.

Sadly, the best thing for me has been going through a wholly awful year or four. Having to rely on the Savior to get me through every day certainly keeps Him on my mind. 

I guess I'm one who has to be compelled to be humble. :(

What do you do to keep a Christ-Centered mentality?...

Lately it seems mine is spinning away from the center.  A LOT is going on in my life.  A forum like this is actually bringing me back.  That is why you see me on here so much even with all that is happening.

So I'm wondering what some of you all do to keep a Christ-Centered mentality.

I'm  sure many of us can relate to having lives that are full of responsibilities and/or challenges that can take our focus off the the Saviour and how He would have us live.

I don't do it as often as I should, but I try to read about the life and teachings of Jesus in the New Testament - often. By reading the words that were recorded about Him, I gain insights for how to show deeper love for others and see them as He would. Reading the General Conference talks a few times a week, as well as Ensign articles also help me to stay focused on the Saviour. In fact, without those regular experiences of increased faith gained from feeling the spirit during  Conference talks and scripture reading, I fear I would wither on the gospel vine.

The Saviour's words and deeds recorded in the gospels, along with spiritual guidance from our modern day prophet and apostles, always inspire me to want to be a better person. I need all the help I can get, because I am far from being the kind of person I would like to be and constant reminders are needed to keep me Christ-centred.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I guess I'm one who has to be compelled to be humble. :(

I wouldn't say that Eowyn. Some of the people we admire the most had very difficult lives...Nephi, Job, Joseph Smith....I would say you are in good company.

To stay Christ centered, I like to study His names...there are so many! And...because I love His names I decorated my house with a water theme. The walls are blue and tan, and I have pictures of boats and light houses. Thus every day I'm reminded of The Living Water.