Clothe the naked, Feed the hungry

I just got out of an eye opening adult session of stake conference.  I'll share one topic here and another in a second thread.

The Houston temple president came and spoke to us about Christ's statement about visiting those in prison, clothing the naked, feeding the hungry...

He spoke to the youth at a vicarious baptism session.  He asked if anyone had ever gone to a prison to visit someone.  None raised a hand. 

He told them that they had just done so.  Their actions that day had released people from spirit prison.  Later the work done by adults would clothe the naked, bring strangers into the fold and family of God, strengthen the spiritually sick, and give meat & drink to those who hunger and thirst after righteousness.

No one had ever brought that to my attention before.  I thought I should share.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator

All of this is important, but don't fall into a trap that I see a lot of Christians fall into, in particular new ones like me. They think it is their responsibility to solve every single social problem out there or else they have failed in some way.

The blunt, uncomfortable truth is even the most righteous, holy man/woman can't solve every problem out there. You can give a drug addict a free home-and she'll sell it for drugs. You can hug a prisoner and hold them until you are both crying-but a sociopath will still try to attack you. 

Just saying. Some Christians think "Christian" means "lack of common sense doormat" 

Guest LiterateParakeet

MormonGator, no offense my friend but I think you missed the point. He was referring to the temple and how we symbolicly free spirits from prison, clothe the naked, and feed the hungry (the spiritually hungry). I had never really thought about the temple that way before.

I agree with you though that sometimes Christians do misunderstand this counsel and become doormats. That is not what the Savior wants for us. There is a great book that addresses this issue, appropriately named Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend. I highly recommend it.

Guest MormonGator

MormonGator, no offense my friend but I think you missed the point. He was referring to the temple and how we symbolicly free spirits from prison, clothe the naked, and feed the hungry (the spiritually hungry). I had never really thought about the temple that way before.

I agree with you though that sometimes Christians do misunderstand this counsel and become doormats. That is not what the Savior wants for us. There is a great book that addresses this issue, appropriately named Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend. I highly recommend it.

Uh, you were right, I DID completely miss the point. I'm dumb as rock sometimes, sorry. 

My apologies OP. 

Edited by MormonGator

I just got out of an eye opening adult session of stake conference.  I'll share one topic here and another in a second thread.

The Houston temple president came and spoke to us about Christ's statement about visiting those in prison, clothing the naked, feeding the hungry...

He spoke to the youth at a vicarious baptism session.  He asked if anyone had ever gone to a prison to visit someone.  None raised a hand. 

He told them that they had just done so.  Their actions that day had released people from spirit prison.  Later the work done by adults would clothe the naked, bring strangers into the fold and family of God, strengthen the spiritually sick, and give meat & drink to those who hunger and thirst after righteousness.

No one had ever brought that to my attention before.  I thought I should share.

interesting view.