Clearing up misconceptions: Jesus' brother

Byron

Guest MormonGator

1. Use of non-authoritative sources and out-of-context quotations

2. Attack the story of the Book of Mormon's origin, not its contents

3. Distort Mormon doctrines by comparing them to the unscriptural teachings of Christian creeds

4. When all else fails, lie!

5. Use slander, personal attacks, and character assassination

6. Accuse your opponent of doing the very thing you are doing

Again, I'm not saying Byron is an anti-Mormon, but when I saw several topics posted by a new forum member, whose profile says "Christian," my "Spidey-senses" went active.  This has all the hallmarks of a "shotgun attack."  Hopefully, the OP will participate in respectful discussion by sincerely considering responses with an open mind.  In the end, our position is to seek truth from God, through the Holy Spirit to know the truth of anything.  

Ok, I'll say it. This is outstanding and thank you for sharing. Superb. I salute you with awesomeness, Sir or Madam. 

Goodness, I wish I thought of this! 

PS-The Spider Man reference brings this from "awesome" to "even more awesome" 

Edited by MormonGator

Sorry I have been neglecting the posts here. I am a teacher and in the middle of mid-term prep. I really appreciate estradling75's response. It gives me an insight into how Mormonism differs from Christianity. As I am sure many of you have heard, Christians like to compare the trinity to water. (liquid, solid, vapor) Now that I know Mormon's believe that God is a spiritual father to Jesus, I do have one more question....

Do Mormon's believe in the holy spirit? If not how do you explain baptism of the holy spirit or spiritual gifts bestowed upon receiving the holy spirit? Do you believe that the holy spirit is also Jesus' brother? As far as I can find in the bible I see that Jesus only refers to the holy spirit as a helper sent to the disciples after Pentecost.

Do Mormon's believe in the holy spirit? If not how do you explain baptism of the holy spirit or spiritual gifts bestowed upon receiving the holy spirit? Do you believe that the holy spirit is also Jesus' brother? As far as I can find in the bible I see that Jesus only refers to the holy spirit as a helper sent to the disciples after Pentecost.

Yes, we believe in the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit. We are given no information about the Holy Ghost except that he is a personage of spirit and is one of the Godhead, comprising the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

(liquid, solid, vapor)

Water can't be all three at the same time. It can be at the point between two of them, but not all three.

Do Mormon's believe in the holy spirit?

Yes, we do. It's Mormonism 101 that we do.

Water can't be all three at the same time. It can be at the point between two of them, but not all three.

Actually, at the triple point, water can indeed exist in all three phases or states simultaneously. (The triple point of water is at 0.01 °C and 611.7 Pa, which coincidentally is approximately the temperature and pressure of a warm day on the surface of Mars.)

I know the three phases of water is a common analogy for the Trinity. I have also seen many "purists" who explain that this analogy is probably a better analogy for Modalism than Trinitarianism.

I do not think I can really improve on the other answers. We believe the Holy Spirit is the third member of the Godhead. We do not believe in some form of "binitarianism" where the Father and the Son are the only two "personalities" and the Spirit is their influence spreading through the universe.

As the others have said, there is very little in our scrpiture canon that gives much information along the lines you are asking. Exactly where He fits in the Father's family is unrevealed, though, in the spirit of estradling's post, I think most of us assume that he fits into the family somehow.

The reason why modalism was born was that many protestants could not grasp the concept of the Trinity.  So, analogy after analogy was created to try to communicate it.  Modalism was one that people could readily grasp.  But Trinitarian purists tend to believe this is an inaccurate analogy.

The best way to compare the trinity to our doctrine of the "Godhead" is that the "substance" which makes them one is their love for us, their unity in desire and purpose to bring about our salvation.  As far as we mortals are concerned for most day-to-day purposes, they may as well be one.

But to be technical, they are three distinct beings.

Edited by Guest

Actually, at the triple point, water can indeed exist in all three phases or states simultaneously. (The triple point of water is at 0.01 °C and 611.7 Pa, which coincidentally is approximately the temperature and pressure of a warm day on the surface of Mars.)

Ok, you just blew my mind.  I never knew that.  Now I'm ready for Jeopardy! :)

Just as a side note - for those that have studied ancient scripture and are knowledgeable of ancient Hebrew traditions and the modern science of textual criticism of Biblical scripture are well aware of what is mean by a variant reading.  In essence a variant reading is a "possible" interpretation of particular scripture. 

What I am trying to say is that anciently the scriptures said that on the day of judgment that "Two brothers" will oppose each other over the judgment of the souls of man.  One at the right hand and one at the left hand.  It is tradition that Satan is the left hand of G-d and that those that belong to Satan will be at the left hand of G-d.  Who then is the brother of Satan that by tradition will be at the right hand of G-d?  When Stephen looked into heaven and saw G-d; who was at his right hand?  That according to scripture is the brother of Satan?

Edited by Traveler

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding of brothers is to be born of the same mother or father or both mother and father. ie) James was Jesus' brother because he was born of Marry but fathered by Joseph. Jesus was born of Marry but fathered By God. (This according to my faith)

The scriptures have God the Father as the Father of all spirits:

Hebrews 12:9--King James Version (KJV)
Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

If you believe there is a God, other than God the Father, which Fathers spirits--could you reveal Him to us?

That places all spirits--including Christ's spirit, satan, and mankind's spirit--having the same Father--and they His offspring:

Acts 17:29---King James Version (KJV)

29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

My understanding of brothers is to be born of the same mother or father or both mother and father. ie) James was Jesus' brother because he was born of Marry but fathered by Joseph. Jesus was born of Marry but fathered By God. (This according to my faith)

The scriptures have God the Father as the Father of all spirits:

Hebrews 12:9--King James Version (KJV)
Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

If you believe there is a God, other than God the Father, which Fathers spirits--could you reveal Him to us?

That places all spirits--including Christ's spirit, satan, and mankind's spirit--having the same Father--and they His offspring:

Acts 17:29---King James Version (KJV)

29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Edited by dberrie2001

Before I answer this question, may I ask if a man and woman divorce, are they still husband and wife?

Your answer is important, because without it, what I believe to be true on this matter will not make any sense at all.

Lehi