Syria

Guest MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

Obama has just said he'll be sending ground troops into Syria to help fight against the the government. I think we are fighting everyone in this one. ISIS, the Free Syrian Army, Russia, Assad...it's just so sad. 

Heh - I doubt we'll be fighting the Russians here.  We're on the same side of this fight.

My dad met the Russians in WWII as everyone was closing in on Berlin.  He tells me there was much vodka and dancing. Then we spent 3 generations as enemies, now maybe the pendulum swings back again.

Such is geopolitics, in a world not run by the Lord.

Guest MormonGator

I wish I had and ounce of confidence in this administration. Fortunately, I do have confidence in our military.

And you are from St. Paul, Minnesota? 

(Just playing) 

Heh - I doubt we'll be fighting the Russians here.  We're on the same side of this fight.

The Russians, Cubans and Iranians are there to prop up Assad

The U.S. and this administrations Al Qaeda affiliated "free Syrian army" are trying to topple Assad.

The U.S. helped "birth" Isis just as it helped "birth" Al Qaeda.

The Iraqis aren't helping fight ISIS if there's another direction their army can run to. The Kurds are trying to fight ISIS but we give weapons and supplies to Iraq and the leaders there have no intention of strengthening the Kurds, so when the Iraqi army flees from ISIS, ISIS gets the weapons and supplies instead.

Our "fight" against ISIS has been negligible.

Guest MormonGator

I just hope it all ends soon. I do think there is a time and place for war, but no matter what no good comes from it. They only destroy.  Even when the good side wins (WW II) it probably shouldn't have happened in the first place. 

Edited by MormonGator

Had Obama sent boots during the first months of the ISIS conflict, we could have won it without much of a fight.

Now it's a cancer that is threatening to kill the entire world.

This is one of many reasons why it's nearly impossible for myself and a few others to have a candid discussion about the man without using expletives.

Guest MormonGator

I am not sure how anyone could view this conflict as anything a proxy war between us and Russia. The cold war is back, and that is truly terrifying. 

Edited by MormonGator

Obama has just said he'll be sending ground troops into Syria to help fight against the the government. I think we are fighting everyone in this one. ISIS, the Free Syrian Army, Russia, Assad...it's just so sad. 

WW1+WW2 here we come....

I am not sure how anyone could view this conflict as anything a proxy war between us and Russia. The cold war is back, and that is truly terrifying. 

Indeed -this time around there is less reason for god to influence reasonable men into important positions. My gut feeling is we won't avoid a nuclear showdown by a single vote this time around.

Guest MormonGator

WW1+WW2 here we come....

Indeed -this time around there is less reason for god to influence reasonable men into important positions. My gut feeling is we won't avoid a nuclear showdown by a single vote this time around.

My gut feeling is best summed up by Megadeth.

"We dance like marionettes, swaying to to symphony of destruction" 

Had Obama sent boots during the first months of the ISIS conflict, we could have won it without much of a fight.

Now it's a cancer that is threatening to kill the entire world.

This is one of many reasons why it's nearly impossible for myself and a few others to have a candid discussion about the man without using expletives.

As I recall, when Obama first wanted boots on the ground it was against Assad, not against ISIS--ISIS didn't have the bad press it has now, and if we'd gone in we could easily have found ourselves in a temporary alliance with them.  I can also see the case for holding off on giving the Kurds a blank check--I feel bad for the ones in Iraq and Syria; but the ones in Turkey haven't been exactly innocent and I think Erdogan is a little justified in fearing that an independent Kurdistan could become a staging ground for anti-Turkish terrorism. 

If you ask me, we were--and are--absolutely correct to keep out of that hot mess.  The trouble is, we've spent the last couple of years acting like we might do something if certain red lines are crossed--and then they're crossed, we do nothing, and we look like a bunch of idiots.

If I were running things in the US I would focus on preparing Israel for the day that the mess inevitably gets dumped on their doorstep, and in the meantime assist in the relocation of minorities in the region who don't have massive armies in their corner--Christians, Yazidis, Zoroastrians, etc.