Clearing up misconceptions: The stupidest complaint against Mormonism

NeuroTypical

Joseph Smith himself admits that he wrote the Book of Mormon.  On the Title Page it says, Joseph Smith, author and proprietor.   He realized his mistake and removed it from later editions.

The Book of Mormon mentions "Christ", but that is a greek word.  There were no Ameri-Indians who spoke Greek.

Edited by cdowis

In the UK in the 1960s through 1980s it was common to hear mother's warning their daughters to avoid the mormon missionaries because they would kidnap them and take them back to Utah. There were several variations of this, but many who grew up during this period recall bring warned to avoid them for similar reasons ;)

In Germany the mothers were hoping that the missionaries WOULD take their daughters to America.

Anyway, in England there was a popular antiMormon book  that made that claim.  In fact, some of the girls escaped by jumping out of window of the temple into the Great Salt Lake. 

Edited by cdowis

A guy I use to work with once asked me if we believed in electricity..... I told him no and that my home was total electric and would he mind if I sent my bill each month to him......he laughed out loud and got it ...

He then asked me if we believed in automobiles ........I asked him if he ever seen a horse and buggy tied up outside .....once again he laughed out loud.

Joseph Smith himself admits that he wrote the Book of Mormon.  On the Title Page it says, Joseph Smith, author and proprietor.   He realized his mistake and removed it from later editions.

Now there's a plagiarism accusation that never gets raised for some reason. Joseph's book was clearly lifted from Mormon's opus!

A lot of the misconceptions and misunderstandings about the Church come from people confusing us with other sects.  When I was getting ready to join the Church, my mom said, "If you think we'd let you die instead of letting you have a blood transfusion, you have another thing coming!"  "No Mom," I replied, "That's the Jehovah's Witnesses."  Then she though I wouldn't celebrate Christmas anymore--again, that was the Jehovah's Witnesses.  She didn't know the difference.

My best friend thought I'd give up on using technology and go around wearing black.  I had to explain that the Amish aren't Mormons.  (They're actually Anabaptists.)

Some other crazy things included:

"Mormons will come into your house and just eat anything they want from your refrigerator!"  (Must have known some missionaries, lol!)

"A Mormon woman has to sleep with any man who asks her."  (My wife heard that one from her mother before she joined the Church.)

"On their wedding night, the Mormons sew the newly married couple into a big sack for their 'honeymoon.'"  (Seriously).

When I was running the S.P.A.M. web site, I used to get statistics that included search terms that brought people to the site.  One recurring question was, "Can Mormons swim?"  Somewhere people think that Mormons aren't allowed to swim.  (Maybe because mission insurance doesn't allow missionaries to swim, do martial arts, ride a motorcycle, etc.)

My wife is good at picking up on body language.  When we meet someone and they find out we're LDS, and they look uncomfortable or like they're thinking stuff they aren't saying, she has a heyday.  She once grabbed a non-LDS friend and claimed her as a sister-wife.  She once told a lady that it was against our religion to lose our dog.  Folks believed her (at least for a moment or two).

Maybe because their husbands never change their underwear?

I sneak away to the laundry Husband's garments while he's in the shower, forcing him to get fresh ones.

He also refuses to replace them. So I slowly remove the holey ones when I do the laundry. Eventually forcing him to buy new ones.

This morning Husband returned from work with one we thought was pretty good. Husband is one of two Mormons in his section of the company. He and some coworkers including the other Mormon and the boss were discussing the new policy. Boss asked "If you guys don't want 8 - year-olds getting baptized, why don't you first stop baptizing infants in your garments?"

Husband and Other Mormon laughed until they realized Boss was dead serious in this belief.

Conversation clarified Boss had seen LDS babies being blessed in those super-long white dresses and was used to the infant baptism of his church.

Somehow frilly and long blessing gowns was confused with the garments he had heard of.

So, yeah, Mormons put babies in sacred garments and baptize them.

One co-worker and I were at lunch when the conversation made it appropriate to mention I was a Mormon.

His first question (absolutely seriously, almost licking his lips): So how many wives do you have?

I did the best I could to explain the doctrine, practice, and history.  I sure hope I set him straight.

Edited by Guest

My favorite:

Mormons are all right-wing warmongers. Did you know they use steeples on their buildings to hide MX missiles inside? Also, could there be a more obvious symbol of misogyny and male dominance than a steeple? It's a phalic symbol!

My response to said accusations:

Sir? Or uhh, Madam? ..rather than stoop to your level and make counter accusations of, ahem.. steeple envy?..and recreating the world around you in your own image etc etc., perhaps I should instead simply refer you to the wisdom of Sigmund Freud who once so aptly pointed out that: "Sometimes a steeple IS just a steeple."

Edited by theSQUIDSTER