Pumping Mothers

Bini

Last I used a Medela pump, that was four years ago, and it worked pretty well. I get a new pump through insurance and I have a lot more options this go around. I can easily go with what I know but was wondering if any of the following pumps have worked well for you?

Here's what's covered:

Medela, Pump In Style Advanced

Ameda, Purely Yours Ultra

Spectra, 9 Plus Advanced

Freemie, Freedom Hands Free

Hygeia, model 100056

Lucina, Advanced Care

Thanks, ladies!

I used an old Medela that someone loaned me, but I don't know what brand. It worked fine but I found all the pieces to keep track of and wash to be tedious. Honestly I did the most pumping with an Avent hand pump. It works great, and though it's more laborious, I thought it was also more efficient. 

OH! I used the Ameda one in the hospital and thought it was awesome. 

I think it really depends on the woman, honestly. There are so many variables that go into what's going to work and when and how well. 

I used an old Medela that someone loaned me, but I don't know what brand. It worked fine but I found all the pieces to keep track of and wash to be tedious. Honestly I did the most pumping with an Avent hand pump. It works great, and though it's more laborious, I thought it was also more efficient. 

Gosh it's been so long but now that you mention it... The Medela did seem to have a lot of pieces and parts to keep track of, etc. I don't remember what model/version it was, older now since it's been four years, but good point! I want simplicity this go around.

I'm hoping what my husband ordered (yeh he ended up doing it) will workout okay. I want to say it is an Ameda but I don't remember now. It was recommended when asked for a good pump, so fingers crossed on that. 

I used both the Pump In Style (not Advanced) and the Purely Yours (not Ultra).  I liked both.  I have disfigured breasts and both of these brands have the silicone inserts that worked with my unique situation.  Yes, it has many parts but I used Avent adapters.  So I pumped straight into Avent Bottles that I was using for feeding the baby.

When we're traveling, I use my Avent hand pump.  I had two of them and I would pump both sides at the same time.  The Avent hand pump also had the silicone inserts that worked with my breasts.  The Avent hand pump is really comfortable - the action is more relaxing than pinching and I tend to get a lot more milk with it (although it takes me a lot longer because my hands get tired!)... the electric pumps feel closer to pinching than relaxing.

Dunno if this helps at all.

I used both the Pump In Style (not Advanced) and the Purely Yours (not Ultra).  I liked both.  I have disfigured breasts and both of these brands have the silicone inserts that worked with my unique situation.  Yes, it has many parts but I used Avent adapters.  So I pumped straight into Avent Bottles that I was using for feeding the baby.

When we're traveling, I use my Avent hand pump.  I had two of them and I would pump both sides at the same time.  The Avent hand pump also had the silicone inserts that worked with my breasts.  The Avent hand pump is really comfortable - the action is more relaxing than pinching and I tend to get a lot more milk with it (although it takes me a lot longer because my hands get tired!)... the electric pumps feel closer to pinching than relaxing.

Dunno if this helps at all.

Yes, does help a lot.

I haven't tried a manual pump. But I do like my hands free-ish. 

• 2 weeks later...

To steal this thread, what is everyone's favorite pump? My insurance apparently will buy me a new pump.

We ordered through insurance a Lucinda or...Lu-something...It ended up being crap! Very disappointed. We are returning it but lose out on the almost-fifty dollar overnight ship we paid. We went back to my Medela and it works like a champ, though, we did have to buy a new pump valve as the original wore out...I used it with my first baby for almost a full year. 

It's mid November, Bini and Backroads, did you have your babies yet?

M.

I don't want to steal Backroads thunder, but she has had her baby.  I don't know about Bini.

I had my baby two weeks ago! :)

• 1 month later...

Bini, how are you feeling this time around?  I know with your little girl you had postpartum depression.  I'm hoping it will pass you by this time.

Hi, Classylady!

Thank you for thinking about me and checking up. This time around has been a dream! My little boy is such an easygoing little guy which is the polar opposite from my daughter who was super colicky. On top of this, I am not dealing with depression this go around, so life has been much much easier all together :)

You're blonde now!  I tried to bleach my hair and it got so dry it was like a Filipino broom.

Congratulations on a much more relax post-pregnancy!  That's awesome news to hear.  So what pump did you end up with?

Edited by anatess

Bini, I'm so glad you're not dealing with depression this time around.  And, having a "good" baby is always a blessing!

I like to think both babies were/are good babies. But a first time mum dealing with PPD with a colicky baby was the worse setup! I am grateful the second go around has been much gentler on both of us :)