A Modern Update to Johnny Lingo

cdowis

You can't show true love unless you spend a lot of money?

I loved Johnny Lingo, but that is the message that many (not I) took from it.

The short that cdowis linked to was sweet, but I don't really understand it. The old guy felt guilty that he had bought his wife of 30 years a small potted plant when he saw that the young man had bought his dead mother/father/sibling/wife/girlfriend some pretty cut flowers and a balloon? I sense that there is an attempt at communicating some deep meaning, but what that meaning might be escapes me. A little help here?

This is what it says under the video:

Upon watching a customer in a flower shop, grumpy old Rob comes to a realization that inspires him to see his own life in a different light.

How is he seeing his life in a different light? We didn't see anything other than the old man looking at the fine flowers (which obviously cost more) and then looking at his own humble flowers with disgust.  

I'm with the rest, other than envy, what is the message??

• 2 weeks later...

How on earth is this a remake of Johnny Lingo?  If the OP hadn't made the statement, I'd have never made the connection.

I was wondering why the old man didn't just pick wildflowers.  They're free and prettier than the potted flowers.  And you could see them in the background as he was walking along.  My wife finds it more thoughtful that I went out and picked them rather than bought them.

:D So, the message is that "Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these."

Anyone else get that?  Anyone?... Anyone?...