PAF, RM, AQ, etc

Uhura

I tried to use the search to find this but kept getting page not available.  So sorry. I know myself or someone has probably asked this before.  I don't know why I keep getting the 'not available' every time I tried to use the search.

I have PAF and love it.  I do need something I can do to take it to the Family History Center and can't get PAF onto a flash-drive.  

RM has a tendency to look busy.  I don't know much about Ancestral Quest or Legacy or others.

If anyone has any experiences with any they would like to share, please do so.

With my PAF on my desktop I have tried open PAF and then back up to drive E.  But when I get to the FHC, it isn't on the flash drive.

(Warning: personal bias showing through here)

PAF is an outdated program, poorly-functional, and no longer supported by the church (hence why you're having issues finding it).  It is also no longer installed on an Family History Program.

Why do you want PAF?  I could refer you to SO many better and free FH programs, like Ancestry rocks.  And they all can auto-convert from PAF files in ~2 mins, so transfer is super easy.

That being said: if you really want PAF, here's a download link: http://parowansoftware.com

I too have PAF, I love it. But because it is no longer supported, had to move on. I went to Roots Magic.https://www.rootsmagic.com/   I have their Personal Historian program. That is a journal on your computer. Love it, Love it, Love it. 

At the time I purchased Roots Magic, they were running a special for those who are LDS - It wouldn't have mattered, I would have paid full price. 

Now that I have it installed, it looks so much like PAF. It is just as easy to work in it too. 

I know we all have a right to our opinions.  I find PAF the simplist, both simplist to use and  also in appearance.  RM is much more 'busy-looking' than PAF.   I do most of my FH from home but do go to the FHC at times because of the consultants there, so if I need help with something I will go there.

I also use ancestry.com but in addition to, not instead of PAF at home.

• 3 weeks later...

I use AncestralQuest. It was the source program for PAF, so it works a lot like it.

There is a free version you can download from incline software at ancestralquest.com. The paid version is about $30, so I just bought it. There are a few nice features not available on the free version.

I like it a lot. I have nearly 176,000 names in my database, so it's getting unwieldy, and I'm facing an issue with dividing it into four files (one for each of my grandparents). It's not too hard, at least in concept, but I haven't quite mastered it yet. I called them and got some very friendly help, and that tells me all I need to know about the value I purchased.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers