Bride gives dad 'purity' certificate to prove she's a virgin

Bini

Andenex

While I agree with all that, I just think there was a better way to do it.  Not that I know how that would occur, since, for one thing, I'm of the female persuasion.

Also, I don't know if any of us knew the context on this as presented by Squidster. 

I guess many people could say she was lying unless she had some 'proof'.

dc

All I did was read a few other articles about this.  I'm not saying I would do that in my family or that I'd want to make any such thing public... That was these people's choice.  What I did read is that this minister had 2 daughters and a son who he asked to make a covenant... yes, a covenant, with Jesus and him (their father and minister) that they would live lives of chastity and virtue, no fornication, no petting or anything like that and remain pure for their marriage.  That's what I applaud.  

From what I understand, this young woman was also following her older sister's example who also got proof that she had remained clean.  So, we may not agree (myself included) with how they went about every detail of keeping their initial covenant .. i.e. most of us would not feel it necessary to get a medical stamp of approval/proof... but that is what these two young ladies, the daughters of the minister, chose to do.  It's my understanding that the minister didn't ask them to do that part, only make the promise to God that they would remain pure.  I think it's great that the minister wanted his daughters to commit in writing, when they were 13 years old, that they would remain pure.  He also wanted this for his son, but admits that his son didn't remain true to his promise.  So, it sounds like these people were trying to be as honest as possible... they were just more public about it than most of the rest of us would have probably been.  But, again, that was their choice.  The good thing, though, is that they are mostly being good examples to others.  I applaud that.  People watch the kids of bishops, ministers, church leaders and expect them to live a higher standard.  I think it's great that these two daughters of the minister appear to have chosen the high road and kept their promise.

We might question their motives for doing it... but only the Lord knows their hearts.  I hope they're doing it for the right reasons and that any public praise doesn't cloud the righteousness of an initially good and wise decision.

I think we, as Christians, need to support one another of different denominations in our efforts to do good and be the type of people we know we should be.  None of us are perfect .. but we of all people should know that we need to be careful in our judgments of each other.  There is a lot of room for personal differences in our approach of doing good things in unique ways.