Reports of new church policies re: same sex couples and children

MrShorty

So much Christ like love, compassion, and understanding has gone on in this discussion that I am moved to tears. What wonderful examples of the Lords church we all are.

...he says with Christ like love, compassion and understanding.

I included myself TFP.

Sure. It just seems an odd way to imply that we shouldn't be sarcastic by being sarcastic. Rings a bit hollow. I'm guilty of the same, so no judgement on this one. But still...if we're going to do better, perhaps we should start by doing better.

Dang. This is just begging to go into my sig. But my sig is already too long, and it already has a TFP quote.

Haha. As I wrote it, I knew that would be your response. I literally thought, "Here's one for you, Vort."

Personally, I'd swap it. It's better than my other quote. ;)

Sarcasm is a bad thing?

I wouldn't say sarcasm in and of itself is a bad thing. But it does have a tendency to produce rudeness where it might not exist if direct. And oft times sarcasm is used by way of covering rudeness with thinly veiled less rudeness, but since we are mostly pretty good at sarcasm (excepting anatess, or course  :P) it's really just as rude, and in some ways ruder.

I mean, really, if RMGuy had removed the sarcasm from his post (not to try and single out RMGuy...just that it happens to be the post at hand), it would read:

"It seems to me that there isn't enough Christ like love, compassion, and understanding in this discussion and that bothers me. Shouldn't we be setting better examples as members of the Lord's church?"

Now who could take that as offensive? (I mean, someone will. Someone is going to find any given thing offensive (especially in today's overly sensitive world). But I feel confident that if such a direct statement were made (sans sarcasm) that he (or she) who took offense would then be fully in the wrong.

Guest LiterateParakeet

"It seems to me that there isn't enough Christ like love, compassion, and understanding in this discussion and that bothers me. Shouldn't we be setting better examples as members of the Lord's church?"

Now who could take that as offensive? (I mean, someone will. Someone is going to find any given thing offensive (especially in today's overly sensitive world). But I feel confident that if such a direct statement were made (sans sarcasm) that he (or she) who took offense would then be fully in the wrong.

I like your post and agree with you.  I have to say though, I've tried to say (in some variation) that very same thing, and someone always gets annoyed with me.  Ya, I mean here. 

I like your post and agree with you.  I have to say though, I've tried to say (in some variation) that very same thing, and someone always gets annoyed with me.  Ya, I mean here. 

Well it's not like removing sarcasm is the only key to non-offensive communication. Moreover, I would say (and have said) that other's offense is by no means the determinant for if one is Christlike or not.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

So much Christ like love, compassion, and understanding has gone on in this discussion that I am moved to tears. What wonderful examples of the Lords church we all are.

This is why the written word is so difficult to understand.  I did not read this comment as being sarcastic, but took it at face value.  I do believe that a lot of Christ like love, compassion, and understanding has gone into this discussion.  I think we are being wonderful examples of the Lord's church.

We may not be perfect, but I think that over-all most are trying to be understanding.

Edited by classylady

This is why the written word is so difficult to understand.  I did not read this comment as being sarcastic, but took it at face value.  I do believe that a lot of Christ like love, compassion, and understanding has gone into this discussion.  I think we are being wonderful examples of the Lord's church.

We may not be perfect, but I think that over-all most are trying to be understanding.

Well if that's the case then my utmost humble apologies to RMGuy. ;)

Guest MormonGator

If y'all are done, can someone give me a summary of the posts that actually have something to do with the original topic?  

It's okay to have a little fun in here. That's all they were doing.

This thread could use some humor. Instead of humor, we get Vort and FolkProphet. 

(kidding, kidding. Just some playful teasing. I have nothing but respect for both FolkProphet and Vort) 

Edited by MormonGator

• 9 months later...

Earlier this month a family female relative was married to another woman. This individual was using facebook to determine who in the family she would invite to the wedding. Those that were giving her likes and making positive comments to her about her upcoming marriage were ultimately given wedding invitations, Most of the family (all LDS) were giving her positive feedback, on the basis that showing LOVE meant supporting her on her special day. Out of about 100 people, only a couple of us (myself being one) were not supportive of what was happening. We didn't speak out against it; we were just silent. The wedding took place (I was not there, but saw pictures and videos, and was told about it). . It was a big celebration. Many people attended including Families with children, all showing their support for the newlyweds.

The parents of the bride now have a new daughter, fully accepted by them into the family, (and a grand daughter, as the new spouse had a teenage girl). Other family members now have new nieces, cousins, grand daughters, great grand daughters and aunts. There will be many family gatherings where the newly weds and their daughter will be present, Of course, they will need a place to stay as they travel to these events. And, as family we always try provide rooms in our homes for them to stay when coming from out of town.

I remember when my son was living with his girlfriend, and one time asked if they could spend the night in my home. I said NO that would not be appropriate. My son understood and didn't hold it against me.. Now, that my son is married to his girlfriend, I have no problem with them spending the night.

Now, if my niece and her same-sex spouse come to my part of the country and stop by to visit with the hope of having a place to stay; What do I say? I expect many in the family will give them a bedroom to stay in. I mean, how can you show your support for their marriage and accept them into the family and then say it's not appropriate for you to share a bedroom in our home?

I have to say, it is really black and white for me. I was so glad when the Church came out with the handbook changes, it said that same sex couples that get married are apostates and are ex-communicated.  The children have to wait til the age of 18 and must disavow their parents marriage in order to get baptized. The church has not done this to show hatred towards anyone. On the contrary, these rules are a way to show forth love and compassion to those that have gone astray. They are always welcome back, but must follow the Savior's requirements. The Atonement is available to all that repent.

It logically follows that if the children have to disavow their same-sex parents as being married, then shouldn't the same reasoning apply to parents that have a child that gets married to another person of the same sex?  If the child must disavow the parents marriage, shouldn't the parents disavow their child's marriage to a person of the same sex.  I worry that in our rush to show forth love, we are inadvertently condoning sin and showing our acceptance to a very evil practice that has invaded our society and our church. And, I believe this evil poses the biggest threat and greatest danger to all involved. Love the sinner but not the sin. Do not be fooled into thinking that you can show love to the sinner by supporting them in their sins. 

Edited by NonDeviant

8 hours ago, NonDeviant said:

I remember when my son was living with his girlfriend, and one time asked if they could spend the night in my home. I said NO that would not be appropriate. …

Now, if my niece and her same-sex spouse come to my part of the country and stop by to visit with the hope of having a place to stay; What do I say?

You need to be consistent. Immorality is immorality, irrespective of the laws (many of which are extraordinarily immoral).

Lehi

That is a problem... People want you to you to either embrace it fully and treat it as absolutely normal or you're nothing but a nasty homophobe.  They are gambling that our desire to not alienate people in our lives will outweigh our desire to stand up for what's right.

Sadly, in many cases it's a successful gamble.

What makes it harder is that if you decline to allow an unmarried (but otherwise normal) couple to stay in your home it's usually not questioned because people understand.  They don't take it personally.  This gay issue is different because gay people are being conditioned to take it personally and to conclude that homophobia is the only possible reason to not embrace them in their lifestyle.  That, to me, is the greater tragedy.  There's no compromise anymore.  They want their way, period, and will punish you by withdrawing from your life if you don't give into their every demand.

Edited by unixknight