Thanking the Police and Firefighters too

AnnieCarvalho

After reading the Prayer for Veterans today, I thought I'd share an experience I had this morning.

I was out around 5 am doing some errands and stopped for breakfast.

It was so early, the only people there were myself and 3 policemen.

As I was eating, the 3 policeman finished up and got ready to leave.

My grandfather and stepfather were policemen.

My other stepfather (after the first one died) was Chief of Police.

I have great respect for the police.

I stopped them and thanked them for all they do for us.

I was delighted by the smiles on their faces as I shook hands with all three.

One commented it was nice to be appreciated.

I realize there are a few bad cops out there, but I truly believe most of them are in it for the right reasons.

And it's a difficult job.

So I guess I'd say, while you're thanking Veterans, maybe thank any person in uniform, including Police, Sheriff, Firefighters EMTs, Nurses, and CNAs, etc. 

I appreciate their service as well.

Edited by AnnieCarvalho

I realize there are a few bad cops out there, ...

I appreciate their service as well.

You can find a few bad apples in any group in life: doctors, teachers, ward members, etc. I would never let a few taint a great group like first responders. Good job thanking them for their service, I appreciate them as well. The cops in our town are on a waving basis as you pass them, pretty cool. (either waving or flagging me down as I zoom by?)

They get a paycheck, you know.

I'd like to thank all the good Samaritans amongst the good citizens and tax payers, and tithe payers of this world.  Thanks to them, thanks to all the good ones who do helpful things every single day of the year and don't get paid for it.  Some don't even leave their name  so that we know just who did the good deeds.

dc

They get a paycheck, you know.

While there are those who "also" deserve thanks, it is not to say that simply because someone receives a paycheck that a "thank you" is not deserved too. I'm a small business owner and tell my employees thank you all the time. I'd be one pitiful employer to withhold sincere praise for them or anyone who goes the extra mile despite being paid. 

I would offer up that some people who don't leave their name after doing a good deed would prefer the silent blessings as opposed to any praise anyways.   

I would offer up that some people who don't leave their name after doing a good deed would prefer the silent blessings as opposed to any praise anyways.   

This is true.  Nevertheless, we give honor to whom honor is due.  They may wave us off and say, "Unnecessary--I'm just doing my job!"  The recognition does feed their soul, though.  More than that:  When we show our gratitude to the unsung heroes in our lives we feed our own souls.