The (non)utility of "venting"

Vort

It's a thought-provoking question. If i may ask some of my own for clarification and curiosity's sake, Vort. Do you consider it venting (according to your own definition of the word) when Christ drove the moneychangers out of the temple?

Nope. Justified, Godly anger (and that is not an oxymoron, despite the insistence of many) is not "venting". By (my) definition, "venting" is expressing your pent-up displeasure in a more socially acceptable manner than you otherwise would. My contention is that ideally, such displeasure ought not ever to be expressed at all, except in the "Godly anger" sense.

We are not little children, and ought not need to yell and scream, even in private, when faced with setbacks. My problem with "venting" is not the acknowledgement that we are imperfect, but the suggestion that it's actually acceptable and good to act in an impatient, angry manner as long as said actions aren't exposed to the world. Seems duplicitous and, at its core, hypocritical.

For some reason some verses of Jacob 5 came to mind when the Lord of the vineyard starts to numerate all the things he has done for his trees and asks "what could i have done more?" when his trees don't respond with good fruit... would you consider this venting (possibly whining)? Why or why not?

No. But I have never known quite what to make of the lord of the vineyard's threat to burn it all to the ground, and his servant's request (accepted by the lord) to hold off and try another course.

Edited by Vort

I think you are using a very specialized definition of the word. I certainly don’t think of full-on adult temper tantrums or Laman-and-Lemuel-type murmuring when I use the word. As you have defined it, I would have to agree.                   

I realize this reeks of reluctant acknowledgement. I just really disagree with how you have defined the word. :laughingatmyself:

Sometimes my wife and I will talk about problems we see in the world, or with family or ward members, etc., where we discuss things fairly bluntly in ways that we would never say publicly (a la, why to people let their children run up and down the aisles during sacrament meeting and not bother to discipline them at all?) And after the chat one of us might add a, "Sorry...just venting".

It doesn't involve yelling, or any real extreme vitriol, and usually is couched in the clear idea of "Let's not let our kids do that, okay?" or the like.

Still...Christlike?

Hard to say. I'm not sure being oblivious to all problems is the key to Christlike, nor am I sure that refraining from a personal discussion with your significant other is key. Moreover, the expression, while perhaps originally rooted in feelings that may not be Christlike, tends to lead to a, "Let's take the lesson, but forgive and forget" sort of sentiment, which is Christlike. The venting is part of the means, in those cases, to the improvement.