Meditation

Zaq33

Have any of you ever heard of a prophet or apostle speak of meditation? Its something id like to try, but i ask myself questions like "What would president Monson do?" The few pages ive read about it were great. What do you folks think? Some of it may be related to buddhism.

Have you tried searching LDS.org?  I found a quote from President McKay pretty quickly:

“I think we pay too little attention to the value of meditation, a principle of devotion. … Meditation is the language of the soul. It is defined as ‘a form of private devotion or spiritual exercise, consisting in deep, continued reflection on some religious theme.’ Meditation is a form of prayer. …

“Meditation is one of the most secret, most sacred doors through which we pass into the presence of the Lord” (Man May Know for Himself, comp. Clare Middlemiss [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1969], pp. 22–23).

Of course, I suspect this form of meditation might be more similar to what most western people think of as pondering, and not much like the various eastern traditions of meditation.  I think the value of any form of meditation or pondering would depend on your intent more than the form itself.

If you mean meditation as in, for example, something like the sitting cross-legged with your back straight, partially closing your eyes, breathing and paying attention to your breath then it's...fine...if that's your cup o' tea. No particular spiritual value, other than if it helps one be calm and happy which is always good. If you mean, as alluded to by zil, pondering, then it is a gospel principle and requisite.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Jane, thanks for linking to that other thread. I wrote a long comment there so I won't repeat it. I'll just say for me meditation was basically lifesaving at one point in my life. I was in a suicidal depression and meditation was one of the things that got me through. I'm a huge fan!

I'm not depressed now, but I still meditate. It's wonderful.

My own experience with meditation has been very positive. It has helped me to come closer to the spirit, understand the Holy Ghost and who I am, and overcome sin. I don't worry about all the forms. But in almost every instance I start by focusing on the breath and centering my thoughts. I can then either consider a scripture, a spiritual thought, or allow my mind to be blank. None of this is wasted time. It is time well spent. And there is much for us in the west to learn.

David O. Mckay was so good on this point. I see someone has already quoted a piece of what he said, let me quote a little more.

Jesus set the example for us. As soon as he was baptized and received the Father’s approval, “This is my Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased,” [Matthew 3:17] Jesus [went] to what is now known as the mount of temptation. I like to think of it as the mount of meditation where, during the forty days of fasting, he communed with himself and his Father, and contemplated upon the responsibility of his great mission. One result of this spiritual communion was such strength as enabled him to say to the tempter:

“… Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.” (Matt. 4:10.)

Before he gave … the beautiful sermon on the mount, he was in solitude, in communion. He did the same thing after that busy Sabbath day, when he arose early in the morning, after having been the guest of Peter. Peter undoubtedly found the guest chamber empty, and when they sought [Jesus] they found him alone. It was on that morning that Peter said:

“… All men seek for thee.” (Mark 1:37.)

Again, after Jesus had fed the five thousand he told the Twelve to dismiss the multitude, but Jesus went to the mountain for solitude. The historian says, “when the evening was come, he was there alone.” (Matt. 14:23.) Meditation! Prayer!11

Let us make God the center of our lives. … To have communion with God, through his Holy Spirit, is one of the noblest aspirations of life. It is when the peace and love of God have entered the soul, when serving him becomes the motivating factor in one’s life and existence. (https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-david-o-mckay/chapter-4?lang=eng)

Guest LiterateParakeet

I tried meditation the other night during labor. Didn't help. Epidurals are far more calming.

Though really, I think meditation is quite soothing and a good way to focus thoughts.

Is this an announcement?    :bearhug: