Terror attack in Paris

Ironhold

No guess.  Just fact.  They will.  They just are not set up for the size of event they next want to stage. 

BTW, have you ever heard of the World Trade Center?

dc

And you get your "facts" from where, exactly?   A government official was just explaining on CNN why they have changed their tactics to just exactly the kinds of attacks that have gone on in France.  They require no expensive, long-term sophisticated planning. Coordinated planning, yes.  But no hijacking of planes, etc.  Just walk into a "safe" place where people gather.  You just need a few people to go into crowded, easily accessible venues with guns and can quickly murder dozens, if not hundreds of people.  It is a variation on the suicide bomber.  These murderers had no intention of escaping, hence their suicide belts.  These kinds of attacks are much harder to track and prevent than 9/11 style attacks.

These kinds of attacks are going to occur with more and more frequency.

I have the privilege in the past of speaking with Israeli and American experts in terrorism.  Most people have no clue what is going on, what has gone on, and how many attacks have actually been thwarted.  But we can never stop them all and it's just going to get worse, not better.

And you get your "facts" from where, exactly?   A government official was just explaining on CNN why they have changed their tactics to just exactly the kinds of attacks that have gone on in France.  They require no expensive, long-term sophisticated planning. Coordinated planning, yes.  But no hijacking of planes, etc.  Just walk into a "safe" place where people gather.  You just need a few people to go into crowded, easily accessible venues with guns and can quickly murder dozens, if not hundreds of people.  It is a variation on the suicide bomber.  These murderers had no intention of escaping, hence their suicide belts.  These kinds of attacks are much harder to track and prevent than 9/11 style attacks.

These kinds of attacks are going to occur with more and more frequency.

I have the privilege in the past of speaking with Israeli and American experts in terrorism.  Most people have no clue what is going on, what has gone on, and how many attacks have actually been thwarted.  But we can never stop them all and it's just going to get worse, not better.

And they will get worse, and they will begin to occur here. 

The only slight difference is that there ARE armed citizens here who will shut some of them down fast.  But not all of them.

dc

Edited by David13

Doriette, I'm so sorry this is happening in your country. I pray that you and your family remain safe. I pray that your country's leaders can find a resolution to these problems. I pray that God continue to shower you with His blessings.

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Can anyone guess why suicide bombers don't do this in the states?

But they do...September 11, 2001 and the Boston Marathon attacks of 2013 are the most obvious examples of suicide bombers in the USA. That's without even mentioning the regular attacks and shootings by Islamic extremists across the country.  

But they do...September 11, 2001 and the Boston Marathon attacks of 2013 are the most obvious examples of suicide bombers in the USA. That's without even mentioning the regular attacks and shootings by Islamic extremists across the country.  

I have to admit I forgot about the Boston Marathon.  It seems to me that if ISIS is as good as their word, they'd already be doing this kind of thing more frequently here in the US.  Maybe the FBI has intercepted hundreds of attacks but it would  seem almost rather simple for ISIS to do a lot of damage by a few volunteer suicide bombers or gunners without any chatter on the internet that gets them canned.  The lone wolf idea where one person stabs one other person is creepy and awful but doesn't create the widespread terror they claim they are all about.

Edited by carlimac

I just read this comment on facebook. This seems like a prudent idea. 

Ok, all my friends pay attention to what I am saying. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Share this as well. Russia lost a plane last week and Paris was attacked today. It is fair to assume we are next. All of America is going to be one large soft target on Black Friday. We are going to congregate in large masses in areas that cannot be protected properly. I understand it is a big day to save money but please consider avoiding crowds that day. I hope I am wrong but I spent 2 years working on a Masters of Criminal Justice from Boston University and it makes the most tactical sense for terrorists. It would disrupt our capitalist economy at its most important time of year. If you go out that day keep your eyes open and if you see anything even remotely out of the ordinary report it. God bless you all and I pray for all our safety and those in Paris on this most horrible of nights.

The deeply chilling thing that is happening is France is turning into a surveillance state. Isn't that letting the terrorists win? 

Ok, That's not fun for the regular citizens. But how can they keep a close eye on all the immigrants?  I wonder if Obama is now rethinking letting in all the Syrian immigrants. 

Ok, That's not fun for the regular citizens. But how can they keep a close eye on all the immigrants?  I wonder if Obama is now rethinking letting in all the Syrian immigrants. 

No, he has not.

He is not on our side in this.  He is on their side.

dc

The deeply chilling thing that is happening is France is turning into a surveillance state. Isn't that letting the terrorists win? 

No.  It's highly problematic for a lot of reasons, but in point of fact it is not "letting the terrorists win".

The terrorists want to be running things here--full stop.  Victory, for them, is being able to take what they want, kill whom they wish, and rape whom they desire.  In the interim they couldn't give a flying flip about how many civil liberties we do or don't have.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

No.  It's highly problematic for a lot of reasons, but in point of fact it is not "letting the terrorists win".

The terrorists want to be running things here--full stop.  Victory, for them, is being able to take what they want, kill whom they wish, and rape whom they desire.  In the interim they couldn't give a flying flip about how many civil liberties we do or don't have.

In fighting a war, it is very useful to dehumanize the opponent it allows one to fight and kill without as much of a conscience.

But the dehumanizing of the opponent does very little helping understand the why or in the end goal of what they want to achieve. There are very, very rational reasons why they do the things they do. Unfortunately, most people don't want to hear the actual reasons so it is much easier to dehumanize rather than understand.  And it happens on both sides.

In fighting a war, it is very useful to dehumanize the opponent it allows one to fight and kill without as much of a conscience.

But the dehumanizing of the opponent does very little helping understand the why or in the end goal of what they want to achieve. There are very, very rational reasons why they do the things they do. Unfortunately, most people don't want to hear the actual reasons so it is much easier to dehumanize rather than understand.  And it happens on both sides.

Not to worry, Yjacket; I'm not suggesting America fight a war against ISIS (especially to bail out the French for what would be the third time in under a century).  The French were not shy about demanding an end to the Pax Americana, and now that it is indeed winding down--there are going to be power vacuums and violence, and the French are going to have to find a way to deal with that.  The results are horrifying indeed and the French people have my utmost sympathy--but that sympathy does not extend to sending Americans to die for them (again).

On the other hand--ISIS are some bad, bad SOBs.  Churchill was often called a "warmonger" for insisting that Hitler really did mean all those crazy things he was saying, and the fact is that the picture I painted harmonizes pretty well with what ISIS' ideological leaders tell them they have the right to do to infidels--not to mention the reports of the unfortunate souls who have actually had to live their lives under the domination of these goons.  And I doubt these reports are being deliberately filtered in order to whip up American sentiment against ISIS and lay the groundwork for a military campaign--remember, it was barely two years ago that President Obama wanted us to get involved in the Syrian civil war, on ISIS' side.

At any rate, whatever these terrorists are out to accomplish--I really doubt they're getting their kicks and giggles out of a few more traffic cameras, or the NSA's data collection, or the renewal of the Patriot Act.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I find this idea perplexing at the very least.

You shouldn't. Almost everyone acts for very rational, logical reasons, even sociopaths. The key is to understand their basis of reasoning.

Of course, understanding it doesn't make it valid, and that people might act rationally does not make rational discussion possible.

You shouldn't. Almost everyone acts for very rational, logical reasons, even sociopaths. The key is to understand their basis of reasoning.

Of course, understanding it doesn't make it valid, and that people might act rationally does not make rational discussion possible.

You and I must be using a different definition of the word rational.