Awesome faith affirming names

prisonchaplain

Do you know people with awesome names that make you smile?

My youngest child is Hosanna.  One time our local Christian music station had a contest, asking for unusual names and the stories behind them.  We submitted her name, saying, "Every time someone calls her they have no choice but to praise the LORD."  Yeah...we won!  :D

Edited by prisonchaplain

My name is a patrimony from my grandfather.

Whenever anyone asks for my name, I tell them "Lehi", and he looks puzzled. It becomes an opportunity to give someone a gift of the Book of Mormon. I've had only one person pull a pickle face and tell me "I don't need that."

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

I once met a guy named Israel.  I guessed that he was Jewish.  Nope.  His parents were evangelical Christians who wanted him to remember where the Bible came from or something like that.  

Unfortunately, it had the opposite effect.  He ended up getting teased a lot because of his name.  He learned to hate it and abandoned Christianity.

Sometimes we underestimate the power of unintended consequences.

My brother named one of his sons Brigham, and a couple of years later he and his family did a 180 when it came to the church. Now he doesn't even believe in God. I think he calls him Brig most of the time.

Guest LiterateParakeet

All my children have one scriptural name and one family name.  Since our last time is common, a couple of the kids have uncommon names (and a couple have names we didn't realize were so common, LOL!)    We were careful to give them more common middle names so if ever one of them were embarrassed by their first name (like the boy named Israel) they could go by their middle name instead.  So far all of them like their names.  

I wish I could share them because I still think each name is wonderful.  

Well, to get back on topic (sorry, my bad) we all know the founder of Franklin Int'l (now become Franklin-Covey) Hyrum Smith.  He even named his son Joseph.

I've also had many family members (as was tradition in yesteryear) named Faith, Hope, ... no Charities that I can recall.

I've also given one of my boys the name Teancum.  Two other boys have biblical names, but that wasn't really our intent.  They're just common names today.

I’ve always liked my own name. I know it’s not unusual or anything, but it has been faith-affirming for me. My mother always told me it meant constant and true, and I have always tried to be constant and true to the Lord and His gospel. Hence, I’ve always had an affinity for the name Constance. It’s not my name (my name really is just Connie), but I like to call it my Nicholas name.

Some more unusual names I’ve heard that I’ve thought were pretty cool and faith-affirming are America, Cumorah and Zion. Probably the most unusual one I’ve heard is Zerin, which some might recognize from the Book of Ether as the name of the mountain the brother of Jared moved.

I for real and true know someone named Charity whose married name was Fales. (Incidentally, Mr. Fales was a no good cheater, and she's remarried now, with a less embarrassing full name.)

:rofl: The only way it would have been better is if it were "Faileth". :rofl:

But seriously folks...

The definition of my given name is "Resolute".  But I was told that it has been truncated over the centuries.  The original meaning (which I have never found in any name dictionary) is "Firm in the defense of God's word."

That's pretty faith affirming.

Edited by Guest

My father served his mission in Brazil and decided I was the little Brazilian baby he always wanted (I'm so white I get sunburned sitting in front of the computer too long). My name is a common one, but uses the Portuguese spelling (I still pronounce it that Anglicized way). I joke that it gets me past the HR screens.

Given the mismatch of my appearance and my name (and especially since I don't pronounce it like it's spelled) I'm asked why my name is different. And I tell them plainly that my dad served a mission in Brazil. The most enthusiasm I've gotten was in grade school.

"Why's your name spelled like that?"

"My dad served a mission in Brazil."

[big eyes] "No way!"

[a little confused at the enthusiasm] "Yeah."

"Was it an American mission or for some other government?"

"It was a Brazilian mission. It wasn't for any government."

"Did he kill anyone?"

"What?! No!"

"He did get hit by a bus though."

My two other daughters are Grace and Joy.  Grace is common enough (the name--not her--she's original).  But, I'm surprised out how rare Joys really are.  That said, I remember a few years ago...okay quite a few...we were at McDonald's playland.  It was time to go, and I called all three names out.

A fellow around my age, said, "Hey, your daughters' names--you're a pretty religious family, huh?"  I said that we were--and that I was a minister at jail.  He smiled.  A few years later I ran into him again--principal of our daughter's middle school.  I noticed his lanyard had BYU on the cord going around his neck.  :cool: