Why we should be kind to one another: A warning from God.

Byron

I was reading the Bible again and came across this passage. And, as God's word has done to me many times in my life, it slapped me in the face.

18 do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you.

19 You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in." 20 Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid.

21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either. 22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

-Romans 11:18-22

I find myself ashamed before God, knowing I have reacted in anger to those who offended me. I have been arrogant in thinking my salvation is guaranteed. And I have fallen down.

But the Good news is that I was again picked up. I know that it is God as Christ Jesus through the Holy Spirit that disciplined me through my falling down. I know it was discipline and not condemnation because I was allowed to get back up.

Looking back on my life I see a trail of broken things but the trail is less littered the further it progresses. This is God's doing and evidence that I am (slowly) learning. This is progress; no? :) This progress has manifested itself in me today through Romans 11:18-21.

The passage I've shared with you is intended to remind us all that we all fall short of the Glory of God and that we should rejoice in Christ but also remain fearful of God.

It is true I am not a member of The LDS but God had me come here for a reason. The spirit has not moved me to join the LDS. So, I thought, perhaps, I am here to be a witness and help correct fellow believers. Be that as it may, I recognize the arrogance now. And now I know, in part or entirety, that I am here for fellowship, sharing God's word in a kind and loving way. (This I know because the spirit told me so)

God's blessings to you all!

Edited by Byron

I like the kinder, gentler Byron.  God bless you too.

My favorite scripture is Paul's discourse on charity.  

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. 

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

... So, I thought, perhaps, I am here to be a witness and help correct fellow believers. ...I am here for fellowship, sharing God's word in a kind and loving way. 

I for one say, "Go for it."  :animatedthumbsup:

Edited by Guest

Interestingly, the King James renders it goodness instead of kindness.

22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.