Memorable de-friendings

(Un-friendings?) 

Let us celebrate the silliness that is social media! 

I got not only un-friended, but blocked by someone who used to be in my ward, because I told her I wasn't interested in buying from any sort of network marketing company. 

I de-friended my cousin because every time he got drunk he'd make personal, below-the-belt attacks at me, and then in the morning talk about how discriminatory and hateful Mormons are. 

You?

Blocked is funny, because you can't see their profile or posts, but if they are in a conversation you're in and someone refers to them, you know they are there but there are gaps where their posts would be.

Unfriended, you'd have to be invested enough to know the difference. You can check by going to their profile page and seeing if you're still listed as friends.

Guest MormonGator

I get the LDS unfreind thing all the time. What? You are LDS? Done! I also refuse to friend anyone who is vocally against the church. That's their problem, not mine. 

It's a badge of honor for me. I'd rather you hate me upfront than go through the motions of liking me only to un-friend me because we :: gasp :: disagree on something

Edited by MormonGator

Back when Oregon had the same sex marriage on it's ballot, I finally had to un-friend several females because of the lesbian flaming they were doing. I really didn't care about their sexual preferences, as long as they didn't make passes at me or flood my email with pro-gay stuff. But when they flamed my FB AND my emails, and wouldn't listen to the truth, then I not only un-friended them, I blocked them. 

Guest MormonGator

A good rule of thumb from Dr. House : If no one hates you, you are doing something wrong. When people "hate" me for what I say or do, I am incredibly flattered. It gives me a little buzz. 

I have a half brother who unfriended me because as he put it ....one of my daughters threatened him on Facebook. No big loss besides I don't miss his drama.

As for me .....I have not unfriended anyone , have thought about it when I open my Facebook page and the majority of stuff on it is from one person sharing everything they read.

Guest MormonGator

I should say that I'm one of the few people I know who will say publicly that they enjoy Facebook. I love seeing my "online friends" (some of whom I've known for years and consider my close personal friends) and their lives. Humanity really is amazing, and I love seeing their lives and loved ones. 

I love technology. Look back, I was sort of lonely as a child and I never had close friends. Facebook and online forums could have helped me greatly. I wish I had that growing up, big time. 

Edited by MormonGator

Unfriended, you'd have to be invested enough to know the difference. You can check by going to their profile page and seeing if you're still listed as friends.

That would require that (1) I remembered I had friended them in the first place, and (2) I went to the trouble of doing as you describe. For me, neither possibility is very likely.

(Un-friendings?) 

Let us celebrate the silliness that is social media! 

I got not only un-friended, but blocked by someone who used to be in my ward, because I told her I wasn't interested in buying from any sort of network marketing company. 

I de-friended my cousin because every time he got drunk he'd make personal, below-the-belt attacks at me, and then in the morning talk about how discriminatory and hateful Mormons are. 

You?

Um, wow? I am not aware of that kind of drama when someone unfriended me.  

I recently talked with a cow-orker who insisted that I had unfriend her on FB when I thought she unfriended me. We never did figure what happened and we have since become friends again on FB. That's about as much drama I've been in on FB.

If anyone's ever unfriended me I don't know it. I've unfriended several. I can't stand Facebook, and it doesn't take much to get you unfriended. If I check Facebook I only want to see happy, positive, uplifting things. Otherwise -- unfriended!!  :mad:

I suspect there will come a point where I have no Facebook friends left and no reason to go on Facebook at all. I can hardly wait for the day!  :cheerleader:

I've unfriended one person.  My husband's ex-wife.  I don't know why I accepted her friend request in the first place.  Now days I simply "unfollow" people.  It still shows that we are friends, but their posts don't show up on my feed any longer.  I can still see what they post if I go to their page directly.  That suits me just fine with some people.  I've "unfollowed" several people for too many political posts, even if I agree with them, but I just get tired of it.  I've "unfollowed" a school mate after she started posting about 10 posts a day about her favorite rock band.  No, thank you.  I'll go to her page directly if I want to see how she's doing.  With "unfollowing", they can still see your posts, you just don't see theirs.

I have a half brother who unfriended me because as he put it ....one of my daughters threatened him on Facebook. No big loss besides I don't miss his drama.

As for me .....I have not unfriended anyone , have thought about it when I open my Facebook page and the majority of stuff on it is from one person sharing everything they read.

You can always just unfollow them without unfriending them.  Then you don't see all of their posts every time they share something.

I had a friend that I've known since high school (40 years) unfriend me because I was voting for Mitt Romney. She said anyone that can vote for someone that evil can't be her friend.

My step-daughter's half-sister unfriended me after I posted that her grandmother (whom I had just seen) would probably out last us all.  And, then the grandmother died the following week.  She unfriended me right after her grandmother's death.  I must have said something she didn't like?

I just don't care, so I don't unfriend.

Though there are a few people who I find uncomfortable having on my FB, such as terrorist sympathizers, gangsters, right wing political nuts, left wing political nuts, the druggie, etc... :mellow:  and certainly all those snoopy family members xD. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

I don't unfriend anyone even those I strongly disagree with, but I do liberally use "unfollow"!  

Once my brother in law blocked me.  I was really hurt by that.  I assumed it was for political reasons.  We hadn't directly discussed any of these things, but the things we both shared on our walls were polar opposites.  Finally one day, wrote my sister a note and asked her why, and to tell him I was sorry if I offended him.  She laughed and said he really doesn't use FB very much or understand how it works.  "I'm sure he doesn't even realize he did it.  He's not mad at you."  

That was a lesson to me.  I don't take it very seriously anymore when someone unfriends or blocks me...because maybe it doesn't mean the same thing to them that it used to to me!

Once though, an acquaintance  from the ward wrote an angry comment on my wall, and then unfriended me.  (Again, those social/political issues people used to avoid talking to friends about). Under this circumstance, I don't think I am mistaken about why she unfriended me. But whatever, no big deal.  No, I haven't asked her because we were never that close in the first place.

... un-friend me because we :: gasp :: disagree on something

I should say that I'm one of the few people I know who will say publicly that they enjoy Facebook. 

That's it!  I'm officially unfriending you :guilty:

I've never unfriended anyone... but a number of people I no longer follow ... don't need to know what their favorite rock band is up to or see how many silly/skanky things they've liked etc.  I do have a couple friends who are at political extremes and not shy about posting... but because I'm interested enough in their occasional posts that aren't political I keep them in my news feed and just ignore the silly memes and drama.