Memorable de-friendings

I've never friended anyone nor unfriended anyone.  All my friends are from friend requests that I accepted.  If I don't know them, I don't accept the friend request.  My profile is unsearchable so most of the friend requests are from friends of my friends.

I wouldn't know if I got unfriended because that would require that I remember that we're friends on FB in the first place.  I use FB mainly as a place to organize all my photos.  I quit printing photos and putting them on Baby Books.  Now, I just snap a photo then post it on FB with a blurb.

I also use FB for group communications - I have the Family Group (my immediate family), the Family Clan (all the descendants of my grandfather and their spouses), my husband's family, my High School Group, my College Group, our ward RS, our stake Youth, and a group that shares lunchbox ideas.

I do sometimes reply to other people's posts on my newsfeed - sometimes about religion or politics.  It's election campaign season in the Philippines and I have family that are on opposing political parties campaigning for the same spot - so I get to reply to their posts that are not accurate and straighten them out.  So sometimes, I get flamed.  But, that's to be expected and it's really no different from my entire life of campaigning without FB, it's even easier now because it's not so "in my face" since I'm on the other side of the planet from the flamers. I got flamed by the wife of one of our Bishopric who left the Church once.  I just ignored it.  These kinds of things say a lot more about them than about me.

Anyway, FB is quite a useful tool.  I like skimming through the newsfeed lickity split to keep me abreast of what's going on with people.  Last month, my best friend in High School passed away.  I found out literally minutes after she was pronounced dead.  It gave me time to arrange things with my school mates before the funeral without leaving my house half-way across the planet.  Last week, the hometown I grew up in was trying to repair the chapel before the fiesta but they couldn't come up with the $500 needed to do it.  I volunteered to do it and used FB to solicit money.  I raised $650 in under 24 hours - all bank transferred to the Philippines from multiple places in the US, Canada, Australia, and Europe.  24 hours.  All because of FB.

The only memorable unfriending I had was when a former member was posting angry stuff about gay marriage. Specifically, about how people should be forced to endorse gay marriage through the providing of services.

I said, "We all deserve the right to freedom of conscience. Should Katz's Delicatessen be forced to provide service to a Neo-Nazi rally if they decide they want their delicious Reuben sandwiches? Should a Buddhist Temple be forced to rent their space to an NRA gathering ? If we disagree strongly with someone, should we be forced to tacitly endorse them through the providing of specific services? Should a religious group be forced to marry someone if they feel that's a sin? If a religious group believes something is a sin, shouldn't they be able to refuse to endorse that sin?"

She responded, "Which religion? There are lots of religions that don't think homosexuality is a sin. Be very careful, as I have someone very close who is gay."

And I responded, "If there are very many who think it isn't a sin, why not go to one of those groups? Why force someone who disagrees with something you or somebody else does to provide a service if there are other options?"

Poof. Unfriended. I was a little sad in a vague way, but if she didn't want to hear opposing viewpoints, she shouldn't be posting anything controversial in public spaces.

I know this string is mainly about FB, but I'll never forget a live "unfriending" I heard about.  We had a young adult couple in our church who became our children's pastors.  The gal had grown up in church, but left in her teens, and indulged in some of the wilder things in life.  Her husband had done something similar, though his childhood was LDS.  Instead of just veering into secular recreation, he became Wiccan.  They become a couple, and the gal eventually returned to her Pentecostal roots.  He followed her, and she recommitted her life to Christ, he converted.  Many of their Wiccan friends were okay with the change.  Tolerance, right?  However, a few unfriended them.  Why?  They had to ask..., "So, now that you're 'born-agains,' how do you feel about gay marriage?"  They said something to the effect of they had no hatred towards anyone, but could not support gay marriage.  People who had known them for years instantly judged them as hate-bigots, and cut off the friendship.

Tolerance, right?  :confused:

I might be wrong, but this political issue probably causes more "friendship divorces" than any other.

Thanks for the thread. I just went and unfriended about 30 people. Honestly, the Studio-C video is dead on. I only really care to see things about a small handful of family/friends, the rest is just people blabbing about their crafts/breakfast/hair etc. 

I was polite in accepting friend requests, but it all feels more like "spam" versus stuff you really care about.

Bah Humbug!  :D

Facebook is an interesting place for me.  I'm friends with a pagan who is married to a transgender person and just sent in his letter of resignation, a true political anarchist, a Catholic family who posts daily devotionals, a guy who moved out of our ward and divorced and married another guy, former LDS, current LDS, and a minor local celebrity.  I try hard to find things to respect about them, I try to avoid giving them reasons to unfriend me. It helps that most of them like to argue, so they have perhaps thicker skins than folks I'm reading about here.

Interesting thing: I once posted something that had just almost all of the above people join together in liking my post.  I didn't know such things were possible.  (if you're interested - it was years ago - the trailer for The Hobbit.  Apparently, most people from most sides of most fences like Tolkein.)

I have no clue who unfriends me, I haven't noticed.  I remember when I first hit Facebook, I had 120+ friends, then when I started posting political stuff I dropped down below 100.  Fine with me.  Nobody mad enough to post something and then leave in a huff I guess.

I'll unfollow folks but usually won't unfriend them.  My kids will occasionally read my wall, so if you do lots of naughty words I probably won't follow you.  

Only one memorable unfriendeding - an LDS lady who constantly posted anti-vac and other such nonsense.  I finally unfriended her shortly after she went on her anti-muslim rant about the evils of their Halal health code. (It's actually very similar to Jewish Kosher laws, and both share some things with the WoW.)

(Un-friendings?) 

Let us celebrate the silliness that is social media! 

I got not only un-friended, but blocked by someone who used to be in my ward, because I told her I wasn't interested in buying from any sort of network marketing company. 

I de-friended my cousin because every time he got drunk he'd make personal, below-the-belt attacks at me, and then in the morning talk about how discriminatory and hateful Mormons are. 

You?

I unfriended a few friends along the way. I'm pretty tolerant otherwise and have figured out how to just unfollow someone but sometimes you just got to detox and get rid, entirely, someone.

I'm about to unfollow a gal I grew up with. She was of the rich family of the ward, and her sisters were, to be frank, bullies. This girl was the youngest of the bunch and nicer, but still has to this day an attitude. She is a very annoying poster! Lately, it's getting worrisome. She's pregnant and is posting panicky worries about her weight gain and her desperation to not actually gain any weight. I don't know whether to get her a counselor or just unfollow

I'm about to unfollow a gal I grew up with. She was of the rich family of the ward, and her sisters were, to be frank, bullies. This girl was the youngest of the bunch and nicer, but still has to this day an attitude. She is a very annoying poster! Lately, it's getting worrisome. She's pregnant and is posting panicky worries about her weight gain and her desperation to not actually gain any weight. I don't know whether to get her a counselor or just unfollow

Sounds like first baby...

It's probably not so commonly seen by Americans, but those of you with British friends on Facebook may have seen posts from the group calling themselves 'Britain First'. They are a far right group that are blatantly racist and post so much factually incorrect information that I deleted two friends on Facebook for the sole purpose of not having to see that stuff on a daily basis and I was fed up of correcting it with information from reputable sources.

I think a few people deleted me over the years but I never took the time to see who.

So, some major thing happened a week ago with my clan family - big big fight.. politics.  This side of the family unfriended that side of the family on FB.  So I was talking to some of them yesterday and I said something about the one side, and the other side asked, "How do you know?" and I said, "It's on her wall.", and the other cousin said, well, we got unfriended.  And I'm like, what???  So, we went through all the clan members and that's how I found out one side unfriended the other side but, for some reason, nobody unfriended me.  I must be special.  Hah.

One way I've found to keep from insulting people, is to point out that you're grouchy and cantankerous to everyone, not just them.   :)

That is one of the reasons for my choice of avatar...  I mean if Grumpy Bear isn't fair warning.... what is?

So, some major thing happened a week ago with my clan family - big big fight.. politics.  This side of the family unfriended that side of the family on FB.  So I was talking to some of them yesterday and I said something about the one side, and the other side asked, "How do you know?" and I said, "It's on her wall.", and the other cousin said, well, we got unfriended.  And I'm like, what???  So, we went through all the clan members and that's how I found out one side unfriended the other side but, for some reason, nobody unfriended me.  I must be special.  Hah.

Did you see the funny saying on Facebook where it says ....my Christmas list got smaller because I was talking politics on Facebook .....it may not be exact but it's close. Lol

A good rule of thumb from Dr. House : If no one hates you, you are doing something wrong. When people "hate" me for what I say or do, I am incredibly flattered. It gives me a little buzz. 

“A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”  - Paul Newman
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill
Edited by NightSG

Guest MormonGator

“A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”  - Paul Newman
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Amen brother. 

(Un-friendings?) 

Let us celebrate the silliness that is social media! 

I got not only un-friended, but blocked by someone who used to be in my ward, because I told her I wasn't interested in buying from any sort of network marketing company. 

I de-friended my cousin because every time he got drunk he'd make personal, below-the-belt attacks at me, and then in the morning talk about how discriminatory and hateful Mormons are. 

You?

Just one, a friend from high school. One of those, I haven't talked to you for 30 years, but you found me on FB.

I received a cordial enough message, talking about kids and old friends. Then out of the blue asked me why I'm not "active". I said, I just don't believe what Mormonism teaches. Where they thought that was the opportune time to tell me I can get excommunicated, repent and come back,

unfriended