Special Snowflakes...

Ironhold

This is a catch-all thread for news reports dealing with "special snowflakes" and the issues generated by them.

Framingham State University reported a "bias incident" after students saw a Confederate flag sticker on someone's laptop.

The incident was considered so shocking by the college's leadership that they fear people suffered "traumatic" reactions, and the college will be holding a "campus-wide forum" on the existence of the Confederate flag.

IMHO, if a sticker can shock an entire campus, what does this say about the administration's (in)ability to prepare kids for the real world?

You could point out that Arab slave traders owned far more slaves for a far longer time than Europe did, and thus disallow references to the Ottoman Empire(Turkey), Egypt, the Crimean region, the Barbary Coast and Nubia as they clearly are upsetting to you.

You might also point out that the slaves who went east (to Moslem countries) died of sexual abuse: the boys died when their captors castrated them without anesthesia or bandages, the girls after being raped repeatedly, during child birth (the children following the same paths), or beatings.

There are almost no Blacks in Arabia, although millions were abducted. There are millions of Blacks in the West. The difference is that Blacks in the West reproduced, lived, while those in the East died.

No one is advocating slavery, but there is a difference between slavery as practiced in the Americas and that still being practiced in Arabia and other Moslem countries.

What also gets forgotten is that there were at least as many White slaves as Blacks in what would become USmerica: the term indentured servant doesn't carry the same weight as slave, but they were, for all intents and purposes, the same. In some ways indentured servitude was worse because the master had no vested interest in keeping the indentured servant alive toward the end of the indenture. A slave was going to be worth something to him in ten years, an indentured servant would not only walk away, but he was required to outfit him and give him some money at the end of the term. So, the indentured servant at the end of his tenure was expendable.

And, finally, the first slave owner in what would become USmerica was a Black man who refused to honor the end of the term of an indentured servant he owned. The court ruled that the John Casor had to remain with Anthony Johnson. Both had been captured by Moslems in Africa and sold to slavers who brought them (at different times) to the colonies.

Government, in this case, failed to enforce the terms of a contract. Just another indicator.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

This PC-run-amok has really flared up on many college campuses.  However, the term "snowflake" has been updated to "cry-bullies."  These kids have physically confronted opponents, and have made several attempts to see even minor criticism punished by firing.  Then again, they're leftists.  It's what they do.

[A] Black man[,] … John Casor [and the Black] Anthony Johnson … had been captured by Moslems in Africa and sold to slavers who brought them (at different times) to the colonies.

It's rare that I reply to my own posts, but today is the exception.

I'm re-reading The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates. for the first time*. In it he related his own capture by a Moslem, his sale into slavery, and his escape. The Black slave who escaped with him, and who had sworn allegiance to Crusoe, was later sold into indentured servitude. I haven't reached the point in the narration where Crusoe returns to civilization, so I don't know if Xury was freed as per his contract. But Crusoe often laments not having him around (Friday hasn't shown up yet).

* I was forced to read it in high school. I don't recall any of it. I now recall a Shoe comic strip where Skyler was writing a book report about Moby Dick: "For a classic, this is a surprisingly good book."

If we assume (and we have good reason to accept it as true) that Defoe was writing a "true" novel, two points:

1) The whole account of Moslems capturing Whites, Blacks, and anyone else they could, to be sold as slaves shows that it was not Whites who captured Black slaves, but Arabs and other Moslems. (The words "… to the shores of Tripoli" emphasize this.)

2) Slavery was a common enough practice that Defoe, through Crusoe, does not condemn it: it just was. People were very likely to become slaves if they went anywhere near Africa.

We might also consider that chattel slavery (different from that in the Old Testament — more like indentured servitude) was practiced throughout the world. Indians had slaves from other tribes, including whites (especially women). A Man Called "Horse" was a movie about a white taken captive and held as a slave. The Chinese had slaves (and do today if we believe the Tibetans and Nepalese). Africans were notorious slave owners and sellers.

Europeans, too, had slaves. There is some dispute about it, but there are many who hold that "Slav", the sub-race, meant "slave". Serfs were, essentially, slaves. Norsemen captured Mediterraneans and took them back to Scandinavia or sold them in the Moselm slave markets of Africa. Columbus took Indian slaves back to Spain.

The whole world was filled with slavers, slave owners, and with slaves.

What is odd, historically, is the end of slavery. It was Christian English-speakers who ended it. Not Africans, not Moslems, not Indians, not Russians, not Chinese — Englishmen, Christians, ended slavery, and have succeeded beyond any logical hope of ending it world wide. It still exists, but it is seen as a travesty and an atrocity.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

From the article: "In April, administrators at Stevenson college in California were forced to apologise after a “space-themed” school event served burritos and a student complained that it inferred an insulting link between Mexicans and illegal aliens."

Say what !?

I think the appropriate response for this sort of thing is for every employee of the university (perhaps every university) to quit - instantly.  (I know, they won't do it, they won't know where else to get a job, but seriously, that appears to be what these "students" need - complete and utter abandonment in the real world.)

Meanwhile, if I could draw stick figures and come up with short, funny dialog, I'd start Eowyn's cartoon. :)

"Social Justice Warrior" could be a really fun cartoon series.

There's a guy over on Deviant Art who posts under the name Kukuruyoart. He's got a comic strip series going that makes fun of the SJW movement, especially as it pertains to their response to the Gamergate movement.* His strips are quite funny and spot-on, and he always has commentary (with links) below each strip, but his gallery does include a fair amount of cheesecake and nudes and so I can't link directly.

That being said though, I supposed there would be an audience for "clean" material making fun of the SJW movement, especially material written by a woman and/or a minority.

*Even though the "official" narrative of Gamergate is that people who identify as belonging to the movement are all hateful, ignorant male ogres, the truth of the matter is that the anti-Gamergate crowd has an extensive history of playing dirty. This includes numerous illegal acts, such as death threats against Breitbart contributor Milo Yanopolis and others involved with the Gamergate movement.

Edited by Ironhold

Cheesecake?

Beefcake / Cheesecake = work that shows off skin but does not meet the definition of being "adult"

Hence my remark about it being unfortunate that the guy's page is littered with content that limits the number of places where I can directly link to his comic strip.

Beefcake / Cheesecake = work that shows off skin but does not meet the definition of being "adult"

Hence my remark about it being unfortunate that the guy's page is littered with content that limits the number of places where I can directly link to his comic strip.

thought that was called fanservice....

thought that was called fanservice....

Fanservice can be anything, including characters being in "cute" outfits that aren't necessarily revealing and characters spouting catchphrases from other works. The term was originally quite broad in nature until people started overusing it for certain things.

The president of Oklahoma Wesleyan University just sent out an open letter telling all the special snowflakes on campus to shut up and grow up.

A student got offended because the sermon at Sunday services in the campus church made them feel guilty, and so they wanted the president to do something about it. As you can see from the letter, the president did, indeed, do something: he blew his stack.

Does this count?

Some snowflake threw potatoes and raw eggs at police officers investigating a disturbance.

Dude better be grateful it wasn't the German polizei.

He'd have been taken to the emergency room or even the morgue if it was.

You do not mess with the polizei.

Does this count?

Some snowflake threw potatoes and raw eggs at police officers investigating a disturbance.

Okay, the guy is an idiot and a special snowflake, but the charges, seriously.

Aggravated assault, criminal mischief and loitering? The latter two I get, but aggravated assault with potatoes and eggs??

I'm sure the egg had an extreme indifference to human life!!

Okay, the guy is an idiot and a special snowflake, but the charges, seriously.

Aggravated assault, criminal mischief and loitering? The latter two I get, but aggravated assault with potatoes and eggs??

I'm sure the egg had an extreme indifference to human life!!

as it is I think it's just cream pies that are protected as a form of free speech.

but on the serious side. ya i'd charge the dude with that at the least. ever handled a potato before? they aren't exactly dixie snowballs. And if you use anything that's rotted or infected (like an egg could be) you could have potential health problems

Edited by Blackmarch