Special Snowflakes...

Ironhold

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Are you sure it's not her?

At first I did do a double take, actually. Alas, it is not here. 

57 minutes ago, MormonGator said:
58 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Well, you had to see it to get it. Summers tried to "correct" and soften Yiannopoulis's statement, but he interrupted her mid-word and doubled down.

I did see it.

Unfortunately, not everyone did (although, had I known just how rowdy the language was going to be, I'd never have started — in the military for 21+ years, and it never ceases to amaze me just how weak some people's vocabularies are).

Seeing these people act in their native habitat ought to put us off their self-righteous causes, but it seems they're growing.

Lehi

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Seeing these people act in their native habitat ought to put us off their self-righteous causes, but it seems they're growing.

Welcome to 2016, sadly. The schools and culture program you with this from birth. You need to be a rebel and think for yourself in order to not be SJW in college. Good luck 

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/16/black-lives-matter-activists-destroy-blue-lives-ma/

Black Lives Matter destroyed a Blue Lives Matter shrine up at Dartmouth and then followed it up by either defacing or replacing with propaganda all posters on campus. 

Oy. 

Yeah the issue I have with the whole Black Lives Matter thing is that yes of course they matter, but that's because All Lives Matter.  Most of the time when you hear people from the BLM movement it comes across like they feel that Only Black Lives Matter.

It's also incredibly stupid that this incident is going to contribute to the Cops vs. Black People mentality that's making this whole thing even worse.

Guest LiterateParakeet
7 minutes ago, unixknight said:

Yeah the issue I have with the whole Black Lives Matter thing is that yes of course they matter, but that's because All Lives Matter.  Most of the time when you hear people from the BLM movement it comes across like they feel that Only Black Lives Matter.

I disagree. That is not the point of Black Lives Matter. The point is that they are not treated as if their (Black) lives matter. 

I'm sorry about the incident of destroying the Blue Lives Matter Shrine...that was certainly I'll advised. 

But I believe Black Lives Matter, and no they are not treated as if they are. 

2 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I disagree. That is not the point of Black Lives Matter. The point is that they are not treated as if their (Black) lives matter. 

I'm sorry about the incident of destroying the Blue Lives Matter Shrine...that was certainly I'll advised. 

But I believe Black Lives Matter, and no they are not treated as if they are. 

I know that's the purpose of the movement, but a lot of people are taking it to the point of making it exclusionary.  For example,  this incident with the Blue Lives Matter display.

Edited by unixknight

Guest LiterateParakeet
12 minutes ago, unixknight said:
2 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I know that's the purpose of the movement, but a lot of people are taking it to the point of making it exclusionary.

Given what Ironhold posted, I can't completely deny that, but I don't believe those people are the majority. There are "bad apples" in every group. 

I'm involved with a couple activist type groups for BLM. I have not experienced this attitude from the people I associate with.

2 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Given what Ironhold posted, I can't completely deny that, but I don't believe those people are the majority. There are "bad apples" in every group. 

I'm involved with a couple activist type groups for BLM. I have not experienced this attitude from the people I associate with.

That's good to know, because I agree that black lives are generally given a lower priority and that needs addressing.  I'm just worried that incidents like this one will shift focus away from that and nullify the good the movement can do.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I agree with you. Just remember the media has an agenda of their own. We can't trust what they report to be the true picture.

Perhaps it would be helpful to think of it like this...Kate Kelly and John Dehlin had their 15 minutes of fame, and while they were in the spotlight, it might seem to people who are not familiar with Mormons that the women of the church are all unhappy, and John might have them thinking we are all duped.  But neither could be farther from the truth.  The media has not interest in portraying happy families or General Conference. Nor do they report on all the church's Humanitarian projects...nope they 9nly report about the Kate Kelly's, John Dehlin's or the BYU rape issue.  

Don't trust the media.

6 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

There are two "Black Lives Matter" movements.  The first movement consists of folks like LP, mostly supported through online activities and discussions. Talking about real issues and what might be good to do about them.

The second movement is on the streets, being organized and led by people with very different agendas.  They know you can grab anger, nourish it and point it in various violent and destructive directions to help you forward your agenda.  My anarchist Facebook buddy is all for mass riots and grassroots uprisings and whatnot, because it helps defeat da man.  Lots of folks are anti-capitalism, or anti-cop, and are happy to help fuel riots and vandalism and violence and whatnot.

PqanyA9.jpg

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I agree with you. Just remember the media has an agenda of their own. We can't trust what they report to be the true picture.

Don't trust the media.

Partially true. Most people trust the media if the media agrees with their views (liberals trust MSNBC, conservatives trust Foxnews). In reality while you should be skeptical of the media the only thing worse than believing everything you hear is believing none of it. 

31 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

My anarchist Facebook buddy is all for mass riots and grassroots uprisings and whatnot, because it helps defeat da man.

Yeah, because .gov never uses things like that as an excuse to further increase and militarize police presence, nor to further restrict citizens' rights. :rolleyes:

Fair enough point, NightSG.  But are you seriously claiming that the government is covertly funding or aiding the more violent arm of the BLM movement?  

I'm claiming very openly and clearly, that there are folks funding, organizing and otherwise aiding and trying to grow the violent arm of the BLM movement, to forward their own agendas that have zilch to do with black lives. 

5 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Fair enough point, NightSG.  But are you seriously claiming that the government is covertly funding or aiding the more violent arm of the BLM movement?  

I'm claiming very openly and clearly, that there are folks funding, organizing and otherwise aiding and trying to grow the violent arm of the BLM movement, to forward their own agendas that have zilch to do with black lives. 

It took me until the end of your thread to realize BLM is Black Lives Matter as opposed to Bureau of Land Management...

Meanwhile, I interpreted NightSG's comment as: "The more violent people are, the more reason government entities will see to restrict freedom and increase their defensive and enforcement capabilities."

A bunch of people holding flowers and singing songs about how nice it would be if we could all get along is a poor excuse to send out more cops in body armor with bigger guns.  A bunch of people rioting, destroying things, harming people, might appear to some to be a really good excuse to establish a curfew and send out lots of cops with big guns and body armor.  So if the goal of anarchists is to defeat "da man", they'll have to put up with turning society into a virtual prison first.  Personally, I think they're delusional, as well as immoral.

Guest LiterateParakeet

@NeuroTypical, good point.  I can't argue with that.  I try to help by talking to people.  I also contributed to an anthology called Black Lives Matter, Too that will be available next month.  And I started an Interracial Book Club on FB, to read and discuss books that address these issues.  I'm all about the "education" arm of the movement. :)   I admire people like Gandi and Martin Luther King, so no, violence is not my thing.  But you are right some people see things differently...  sigh. 

18 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Partially true. Most people trust the media if the media agrees with their views (liberals trust MSNBC, conservatives trust Foxnews). In reality while you should be skeptical of the media the only thing worse than believing everything you hear is believing none of it. 

Good point Gator!  That's why I follow both The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal (following the advice of some wise friend . . .)  I can't stand Fox though.

2 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

@NeuroTypical, good point.  I can't argue with that.  I try to help by talking to people.  I also contributed to an anthology called Black Lives Matter, Too that will be available next month.  And I started an Interracial Book Club on FB, to read and discuss books that address these issues.  I'm all about the "education" arm of the movement. :)   I admire people like Gandi and Martin Luther King, so no, violence is not my thing.  But you are right some people see things differently...  sigh. 

This is something I do admire about you, LP. You are so stoic regarding violence even if you disapprove. I personally would be furious if some subgroup of my cause was acting in extreme ways I didn't agree with, but you just keep moving forward your own way.

1 hour ago, Backroads said:

I personally would be furious if some subgroup of my cause was acting in extreme ways I didn't agree with...

Something interesting to consider: The PR wing of the IRA, and the terrorist arm of the IRA.  The PR wing of Al-Qaeda and the terrorist wing.  The PR wing of ISIS, and the terrorist wing.  The PR wing of the KKK and the violent arm.  The PR wing of Black Lives Matter, and the demonstration wing.

One of these things is not like the other.  Namely, if any of the PR wing went to go hang out with the violent arm, they'd be welcomed as brothers and sisters.  If LP went walking towards a street riot in Chicago, her life would be in danger because of the color of her skin.

I'm thinking that if you were to ask the organized demonstrators, the rich privileged white girl online slactivist is an unwanted 'subgroup'.  LP, you have wisdom about such things, what do you think?

Guest LiterateParakeet

@NeuroTypical it depends. But mostly, you are right. If I went to a peaceful protest, I would be welcomed...as long as I didn't try to take charge. 

As you mentioned, going to a riot, even if I were wearing my BLM sweatshirt  (yes I really have one) would be a risky thing to do. Angry people don't stop and ask what side you are on. 

I liken this to my puppy who got hit by a car. When I reached in to comfort him, he reacted out of pain and confusion and bit me. My intentions were irrelevant. 

So while I would never condone violence; I think I understand where it is coming from. While I admire Ghandi, and Martin Luther King, I am mindful that they were each martyred. Just because you are a Pacifist gives you no guarantee that others around you are as well. :(

BTW, yes, I am white as such I do have white privilege. I didn't ask for it, and I would destroy it and make things fair for everyone if I could, but I don't deny that it exists and that I benefit from it.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet
46 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Don't beat around the bush, LP.  Just tell us how you really feel.

Lol, I will confess...there was a time that I read Infowars, but that was the same me that I participated on a site that shall not be named (because some would laugh.) I've left that younger hubris, and both sites behind. There is no looking back. 

Edited by LiterateParakeet