Special Snowflakes...

Ironhold

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Don't beat around the bush, LP.  Just tell us how you really feel.

She's right. In fact, at least the Onion is funny. 

Well, Infowars is too but for the wrong reasons. 

Guest MormonGator

In complete fairness though I noticed that the poster who mentioned Inforwars ins't from the states, so I understand totally why she may not grasp how silly Infowars is 

10 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

In complete fairness though I noticed that the poster who mentioned Inforwars ins't from the states, so I understand totally why she may not grasp how silly Infowars is 

To be fair, Alex does sometimes come across some real finds.  But, yeah, for the most part...

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

To be fair, Alex does sometimes come across some real finds.  But, yeah, for the most part...

That's the issue my friend. When you go full tinfoil hat and babble about Ebola breaking into the mainstream and killing us all-and it hasn't-or when you say Jade Helm will kill us all-and it hasn't-you can't tell when he talks the "real finds". It's the boy who cried wolf in the internet form. 

Edited by MormonGator

22 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Fair enough point, NightSG.  But are you seriously claiming that the government is covertly funding or aiding the more violent arm of the BLM movement?  

Covertly?  No.  OTOH, they wouldn't have all that time to protest if the government quit feeding them.

15 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

To be fair, Alex does sometimes come across some real finds.

He's like a one-man infinite number of monkeys that way.

8 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I take Infowars about as seriously as The Onion.

I am not really a follower of Infowars either. But i am subscribed to the writer of the article i linked on youtube, Paul Joseph Watson. I don't always agree with the way he delivers his messages, but he does make some interesting arguments.

That is ofcourse just my opinion.

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I have known infowars for some years now. Used to listen to some of Alex jones arguments, mostly just out of curiosity for some of the outragous claims he would make. Those claims made me curious, and i continued my search online.. so i suppose could attribute inforwars, amongst a few others, as starting a spark, that lead me to look for better sources. Subjects being not just around the states alone.

I don't live in the states, it is true. So i am sure many of you here do qualify much more at seeing the whole picture of the state of living there. But i do dabble, and i am curious, because a lot of what goes on in the states affects what happend around the world, including my own country.

That being said, i too am very sceptical towards Alex Jones, and have long ago moved on.

Guest MormonGator
15 minutes ago, Milluw said:

I have known infowars for some years now. Used to listen to some of Alex jones arguments, mostly just out of curiosity for some of the outragous claims he would make. Those claims made me curious, and i continued my search online.. so i suppose could attribute inforwars, amongst a few others, as starting a spark, that lead me to look for better sources. Subjects being not just around the states alone.

I don't live in the states, it is true. So i am sure many of you here do qualify much more at seeing the whole picture of the state of living there. But i do dabble, and i am curious, because a lot of what goes on in the states affects what happend around the world, including my own country.

That being said, i too am very sceptical towards Alex Jones, and have long ago moved on.

I think it's great you pay attention to the news in America because yes-what happens here certainly does effect Europe. Frankly. I wish Americans paid more attention to the news in Europe. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MormonGator
24 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

The other week I was on an internet forum that bullied an aged vet to change his terminology to something more conventional (or should I say PC) because they found offense where none was intended.

You are failing to comprehend that when someone uses terminology that several of us are uncomfortable with it's not bullying to ask him to stop. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
23 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

So they need a safe space from uncomfortable terminology?

How to make friends and influence people, step 1: Try to be accommodating and polite. Especially online, where things can be easily misread.  

If a group people ask you to stop using a word that you know bothers people, it's very simple. You stop using it. Because people know that you care about their feelings and thoughts, they will be more likely to care about yours. Sure, you can keep talking however you want (within reason, it's not your own forum. I include myself of course, I can't say whatever I want) but some common courtesy goes a long way. After all, if you ignore the feelings of everyone else, why should they care about yours?

Edited by MormonGator

I still don't understand why USmericans, after LeSellers explained why he uses that terminology, bothers people.

I don't understand why Oriental bothers people.  I'm Filipino and I call myself Oriental.

I understand why Feminist bothers people.  Feminist is one of those words that has gotten hijacked by anti-feminist women who believe they're feminists.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I feel torn.  I get your point Mordorbund, but I also see Gator's point.  

I think it is a good policy to try not to be easily offended, but at the same time as Christians we shouldn't carelessly give offense either.  In my family we have a rule, strictly enforced, that if someone is teasing and the other person says stop, it stops.  No excuses.  We tease a lot in our family, and this rule keeps us from taking things too far.  The way that I understand Political Correctness is basically the same idea...call people what they prefer to be called, don't call them something they have specifically said they don't appreciate.  Where's the problem in that? 

About the article Anatess shared, seems like a pretty one-sided slanted view on the situation.  I think the issue the students have is why only white authors.  Why not study W.E.B Dubois or others in addition to Shakespeare?  I don't think that is an unreasonable request if that is what they're asking.   

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

About the article Anatess shared, seems like a pretty one-sided slanted view on the situation.  I think the issue the students have is why only white authors.  Why not study W.E.B Dubois or others in addition to Shakespeare?  I don't think that is an unreasonable request if that is what they're asking.   

Incorrect.  It's not IN ADDITION.  It is... INSTEAD OF.

But, even if it is in addition (which it isn't)... the basic definition of a racist is one who thinks that someone is of less or insufficient value because of the color of their skin.  Therefore, thinking that literary study involving the works of William Shakespeare has to be supplemented by W.E.B. Dubois simply because Shakespeare is white is.... yep.  Racist.

Edited by anatess2

Why not study W.E.B Dubois or others in addition to Shakespeare?

'Cuz he was a lousy author, especially compared to Shakespeare. Douglass, yes, Dubois, not so much.

Lehi

Guest MormonGator

My college degree is in English. I can tell you firsthand that we studied Shakespeare, Milton (my area of interest, for sure) and then female writers like Virginia Woolf, Emily Dickinson (my favorite poet) , Jane Austen and George Eliot (born Mary Anne Evans). Anyone who thinks Woolf, Dickinson and especially Eliot don't belong on par with Dickens, Tennyson, etc simply does't really understand the classics. 

You are absolutely right Lit. If you want to consider yourself "educated" in the humanities you need to read good literature from multiple sources and people who have diverse backgrounds. 

The Yale students go too far if they say "I don't want to study ANY white males, only minorities." You can't call yourself "educated" (especially in English!) if you don't study Milton, Chaucer, Shakespeare just because they are white. 

Guest MormonGator

My college degree is in English. I can tell you firsthand that we studied Shakespeare, Milton (my area of interest, for sure) and then female writers like Virginia Woolf, Emily Dickinson (my favorite poet) , Jane Austen and George Eliot (born Mary Anne Evans). Anyone who thinks Woolf, Dickinson and especially Eliot don't belong on par with Dickens, Tennyson, etc simply does't really understand the classics. 

You are absolutely right Lit. If you want to consider yourself "educated" in the humanities you need to read good literature from multiple sources and people who have diverse backgrounds. 

The Yale students go too far if they say "I don't want to study ANY white males, only minorities." You can't call yourself "educated" (especially in English!) if you don't study Milton, Chaucer, Shakespeare just because they are white. 

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Where's the problem in that? 

There is no problem. Often times some of us (myself included, for sure) confuse being "politically incorrect" for "having no manners". In order to keep things running smoothly sometimes you need to adjust your behavior (again, I totally include Gator here). If you think it's "politically correct" that you try not to bother others or try not to be rude or irritating, than you need a basic manners course. Manners 101 is "Try not to intentionally bother others" 

Just to clear-I am totally guilty of being rude and insensitive at times, so no, I'm not saying I'm the shining beacon of morality. 

I'm the shining beacon of good looks and charm though. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest LiterateParakeet
26 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Incorrect.  It's not IN ADDITION.  It is... INSTEAD OF.

But, even if it is in addition (which it isn't)... the basic definition of a racist is one who thinks that someone is of less or insufficient value because of the color of their skin.  Therefore, thinking that literary study involving the works of William Shakespeare has to be supplemented by W.E.B. Dubois simply because Shakespeare is white is.... yep.  Racist.

Have you read the petition or talked to any of the students involved,  or even a different article? I'm not willing to accept that this is all there is to the story without more information.

What's racist is thing that the only good literature comes from white folks and that no one of color could have anything of value to say. That's racist. How is that not obvious?

Guest LiterateParakeet
53 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

'Cuz he was a lousy author, especially compared to Shakespeare. Douglass, yes, Dubois, not so much.

Lehi

Lousy being YOUR opinion.

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

What's racist is thing that the only good literature comes from white folks and that no one of color could have anything of value to say. That's racist. How is that not obvious?

It's a moot point in the end. Both sides are wrong here. English departments are getting extremely diverse in their curriculum and at the same time, they are still studying Milton (again, my personal favorite! I love free thinking revolutionaries!), Shakespeare, Chaucer, Ben Johnson....so it doesn't matter. 

In my view the Yale students are also foolish. They are fighting a battle they already won. It's like people protesting against segregation in 2016. They might be right, but it's already been settled. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest LiterateParakeet
6 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It's a moot point in the end. Both sides are wrong here. English departments are getting extremely diverse in their curriculum and at the same time, they are still studying Milton (again, my personal favorite! I love free thinking revolutionaries!), Shakespeare, Chaucer, Ben Johnson....so it doesn't matter. 

In my the Yale students are also foolish. They are fighting a battle they already won. It's like people protesting against segregation in 2016. They might be right, but it's already been settled. 

I don't get your point here. Shakespeare, Chaucer and Ben Johnson are all white men...where's the diversity you speak of?  

Edited to add...wait I think I understand you now but still who are the authors they are reading that aren't white men or white women? I'm not saying we have to have a token author of color, I'm saying I don't think white folks are the only ones with something of value to offer. 

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I don't get your point here. Shakespeare, Chaucer and Ben Johnson are all white men...where's the diversity you speak of?  

It's about the classes Lit. A Shakespeare class will study Shakespeare-but they'll talk about minorities in Shakespeare and female characters in Shakespeare. My junior year I took "Women in American literature pre-1900." So we studied well, Women in American Literature. 

Minorities and women have full classes dedicated to them, along with Shakespeare, Milton, etc. There is not a single legit college that doesn't offer at least 5-10 English classes that focus on minorities in literature. 

Edited by MormonGator