Special Snowflakes...

Ironhold

41 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Here's the video (though I'm asking myself as I post...am I being inconsistent in using a video I disagree with to make my point....hmmm...life is complicated.)

https://metavideos.com/video/4513198/nothing-happens-when-youre-offended

If I REALLY liked that video, can we still be friends?  :wub:

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

.But to be curt to the point where I'd "expect" someone to change their ways around me to garner my respect or attention would be a little arrogant.

And to disregard the thoughts and feelings of others somehow isn't arrogant?

On 5/24/2016 at 1:39 PM, MormonGator said:

I wish Americans paid more attention to the news in Europe. 

If for no other reason than what happens there will happen here in 5~50 years. Faster when it's a part of a world-wide effort to take over the whole earth.

Lehi

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, LeSellers said:

If for no other reason than what happens there will happen here in 5~50 years. Faster when it's a part of a world-wide effort to take over the whole earth.

Lehi

Yup, absolutely. We'll be England in 10-15 years unless a state breaks from the union, for sure. 

18 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

And to disregard the thoughts and feelings of others somehow isn't arrogant?

"Disregard" is not the same as "weigh and assess". Others' feelings don't always have to count for more than one's own.

Lehi

1 hour ago, mordorbund said:

I figure you don't give a flying rip.

And you're right. But there is no reason to continually bring it up, more so (or less so) because I've already conceded and don't use USmerica(n) any more in favor of the other-suggested USA(an).

People should learn to take "yes" for an answer.

Lehi

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Others' feelings don't always have to count for more than one's own.

They do if you want to be taken seriously. Like I mentioned if you want people to listen to you, you have to listen to them. It really is manners 101. 

4 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

And you're right

Than why are you here?  That's not an insult or anything of the sort. Honest question. 

I highly doubt that you (and others who say it, for sure) "don't care". If you didn't, you wouldn't say it-you'd simply know.  Nor would you be here in the first place if you truly didn't care what others thought of you. IE-I don't care about animal husbandry, so I don't post in animal husbandry forums and give them my opinion on things. Nor do I expect them to listen to me because of that. 

But when people say "I don't care what others think of me" that's fine, it's certainly their right-but it also gives others the license to ignore you. If you don't care, why should we? (Universal usage of the word "you")

Guest MormonGator
24 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Others' feelings don't always have to count for more than one's own.

They do if they want to be taken seriously. Like I mentioned if they want people to listen to them, they have to listen to others. Your own feelings about yourself matter of course-but you really do need to think of others as well as yourself in most situations. It really is manners 101. 

22 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

And you're right

Than why are you here?  That's not an insult or anything of the sort. Honest question. Believe it or not I'm sure we all like you and consider you a friend. 

I highly doubt that you (and others who say it, for sure) "don't care". If you didn't, you wouldn't say it-you'd simply know.  Nor would you be here in the first place if you truly didn't care what others thought of you. No one who posts online does it for no reason, obviously you want people to at least pay attention to what you are saying.   IE-I don't care about animal husbandry, so I don't post in animal husbandry forums and give them my opinion on things. Nor do I expect them to listen to me because of that.  

But when people say "I don't care what others think of me" that's fine, it's certainly their right-but it also gives others the license to ignore you. If you don't care, why should we? (Universal usage of the word "you")

Edited by MormonGator

Guest LiterateParakeet
4 hours ago, unixknight said:

If I REALLY liked that video, can we still be friends?  :wub:

Lol, my son really liked it too. So no worries, we're still friends. :)

On 6/7/2016 at 10:57 AM, anatess2 said:

Have you?  (I can't believe you called me out on whether I've read the petition... I even read Congressional Bills and Supreme Court Rulings - as you well know having just recently given you one of them -,you think I won't read a 5 paragraph petition?)

From the petition:  " In particular, we oppose the continued existence of the Major English Poets sequence as the primary prerequisite for further study.  <snip>  The Major English Poets sequences creates a culture that is especially hostile to students of color.   <snip> It’s time for the English major to decolonize — not diversify — its course offerings".

We don't STUDY (totally different from just reading) Shakespeare in school simply because it is "good literature".  I went to school in the Philippines.  Nobody there ever think that Shakespeare is not Filipino!  Shakespeare is Shakespeare - he could be blue, red, yellow, green, IT DOESN'T MATTER.  There's only one Shakespeare just like there is only one J.K. Rowlings.   If we ever add Rowlings on the literature study list, we won't be studying it because it is "good literature".  We would study it for Harry Potter's controversial history as well as its impact to the revival of the love of reading in American Middle Schools or something.  Just like we study Jane Austen for her unique perspective of the role of women in the Victorian era... Austen could be blue it doesn't matter.

What is racist is the position that the value of Shakespearean study should be REMOVED from required curricula BECAUSE he is white.  It would be the exact same thing as studying Joseph Smith's D&C holds no value because Smith is white, therefore, Mormons shouldn't be required to study D&C.   It is a stupid argument.

When I was getting my MBA, I had to read a book about the rise of the "Harry Potter" franchise and how it became such a financial behemoth during its heyday. 

So yes, the "Harry Potter" franchise is, indeed, already being studied academically. 

On 6/7/2016 at 2:22 PM, MormonGator said:

No, you are absolutely right-most of the time the opener is a lesser known band. 

However Kiss was/is in their twilight and Aerosmith is from Boston. Their lead singer, Stephen Tyler has thick NH roots so they are huge up in NH. Kiss was the second band to take the stage after Automatic Black or Buckcherry. It was part of the Roximus Maximus tour and it was in late November of 2003. Near Thanksgiving. 

Out of the 7,000 there I'd say 6500 were in for Aerosmith. I saw just two people in full Kiss make up. I was excited because it was the last tour that Peter Criss (original drummer for Kiss) would preform in. 

2003?

Aerosmith was still getting a boost from their movie soundtrack work, helping to make them a big name again.

KISS, meanwhile, was having issues. The "classic" line-up of Gene, Paul, Peter, and Ace had reunited for a world tour, but Peter and Ace were so devastated from years of substance abuse that they were barely holding it together. Ace in particular was so far gone that Black N Blue guitarist Tommy Thayer (who had once been in a famous KISS cover group known as Cold Gin) had to teach Ace all of his old parts just so he could even play live. Gene and Paul were so frustrated and worn out from dealing with Peter and Ace that they had originally been looking to wind things up. 

Instead, the pair made the decision to jettison the dead weight - that is, Peter and Ace. Former drummer Eric Singer (drummer #3, taking over after Eric Carr died of cancer) came back to the group, but both Mark St. John (guitarist #3) and Bruce Kulick (guitarist #4) were busy with their current bands; with nobody willing to trust Vinnie Vincent (guitarist #2) after his brief stints in the group, Gene, Paul, and Eric decided to offer Tommy the job. 

2003 would have been about the time the world was having to adjust to the line-up being Gene. Paul, Eric, and Tommy and the line-up was having to adjust to being a coherent and cohesive unit. 

Interestingly enough, Aerosmith is playing it cool right now while KISS is back on top. The group even co-starred in a Scooby Doo feature-length animated number last year - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooby-Doo!_and_Kiss%3A_Rock_and_Roll_Mystery .

On 6/7/2016 at 5:31 PM, MormonGator said:

Yup. He (Warner) is known to be extremely bright and actually very polite. I don't know him personally but that's what I've heard. 

Unfortunately, there were reports that he was heading down the same rabbit hole Alice Cooper went down in the 1970s. 

The original plan was for him to be Vincent Furnier in real life and Alice Cooper on-stage, but his sudden rise to fame and his growing alcohol problem meant that things got blurry even for him. He tried to clean up at one point (one of his albums was a giant metaphor for him saying that he'd have to leave for a while to seek treatment), but by the end of the decade he had relapsed so hard that he *literally* does not remember recording the four albums he did in the early 1980s. In fact, Cooper has reportedly said that "DaDa" - the last album he did with Warner Brothers - scares him because even he can't figure out what it's all about. 

8 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Wow, this is a lesson to me on political correctness taken TOO far. 

Transgender teacher awarded 6k because co-workers used the wrong pronouns. 

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/25/transgender-teacher-awarded-60k-improper-pronouns/?utm_source=email+marketing+Mailigen&utm_campaign=News+6.8.16&utm_medium=email

Well, I could use some extra money.  I think I'll claim to identify as female now at work and the next person who fails to call me "she" is gonna trigger a new car for me.

Guest MormonGator
7 hours ago, Ironhold said:

2003?

Aerosmith was still getting a boost from their movie soundtrack work, helping to make them a big name again.

KISS, meanwhile, was having issues. The "classic" line-up of Gene, Paul, Peter, and Ace had reunited for a world tour, but Peter and Ace were so devastated from years of substance abuse that they were barely holding it together. Ace in particular was so far gone that Black N Blue guitarist Tommy Thayer (who had once been in a famous KISS cover group known as Cold Gin) had to teach Ace all of his old parts just so he could even play live. Gene and Paul were so frustrated and worn out from dealing with Peter and Ace that they had originally been looking to wind things up. 

Instead, the pair made the decision to jettison the dead weight - that is, Peter and Ace. Former drummer Eric Singer (drummer #3, taking over after Eric Carr died of cancer) came back to the group, but both Mark St. John (guitarist #3) and Bruce Kulick (guitarist #4) were busy with their current bands; with nobody willing to trust Vinnie Vincent (guitarist #2) after his brief stints in the group, Gene, Paul, and Eric decided to offer Tommy the job. 

2003 would have been about the time the world was having to adjust to the line-up being Gene. Paul, Eric, and Tommy and the line-up was having to adjust to being a coherent and cohesive unit. 

Interestingly enough, Aerosmith is playing it cool right now while KISS is back on top. The group even co-starred in a Scooby Doo feature-length animated number last year - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooby-Doo!_and_Kiss%3A_Rock_and_Roll_Mystery .

Yup. Exactly. I read all of that in Paul Stanleys book.  

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

Is that the English degree talking or my friend, Gator?

It's the Socratic method of teaching. We learn by asking questions. 

I was saying it partially tongue in cheek of course, but there is a bit of truth to it. It is arrogant to disregard the feelings of everyone else and focus on your own. Not saying I don't do it from time to time, but just because I do it doesn't make it right of course. 

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It's the Socratic method of teaching. We learn by asking questions. 

Do we? :P

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It is arrogant to disregard the feelings of everyone else and focus on your own.

I understand and agree with this statement.  But there are degrees of "blame" for lack of a better word.  It is always appropriate to check our own behavior.  This goes both ways.

At what point do we say it is the receiver who needs to toughen up vs. when the giver needs to soften up?  That's the whole problem with political correctness, isn't it?

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

Is it? :P

I understand and agree with this statement.  But there are degrees of "blame" for lack of a better word.  It is always appropriate to check our own behavior.  This goes both ways.

At what point do we say it is the receiver who needs to toughen up vs. when the giver needs to soften up?

I don't disagree with any of that, and of course it's all subjective. 

To me, going online is like being in the ward gymnasium during a nice dinner. You are free to argue, joke around, and have fun-but if you walk in and think only of yourself and say whatever you want to without thinking or "caring what anyone thinks" you'll either be asked to leave or you'll sit at the table all by yourself.

16 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

You are free to argue, joke around, and have fun-but if you walk in and think only of yourself and say whatever you want to without thinking or "caring what anyone thinks" you'll either be asked to leave or you'll sit at the table all by yourself.

And look at what society is doing to Mormons who do not support gay marriage.  Do we change our behavior because we'll "be left alone"?

Actually, I'm more inclined to compare this to the SNL sketch about "Oh, but he's a great guy though".  What people forget about that sketch was when one guy said something a little over the line (let's face it, all of it was over the line) and the rest of the guys reacted very poorly and kicked him out.  The thing is that I thought what he said was no different than what others had said as far as where the line was.  But there they were, criticizing him for it.  It made no sense to me.

I first heard Lehi use the term USmericans many years ago.  It threw me off for about two seconds.  Then I realized immediately why he used the term and what he meant by it.  I never even had to ask.  I guess that's a testament to how much he and I think alike. (what can I say, Mrs. Carb married a man that reminded her of her father).  So, because it made perfect sense to me, I'm just having a hard time understanding why others find it "offensive" or "disturbing" or "distasteful" or whatever.  But you've all got your reasons I suppose.  And Lehi has said he's going to stop using a "silly" term because... reasons.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

]  And Lehi has said he's going to stop using a "silly" term because... reasons.

That's all that matters, I guess. Speaks well of him for listening to others and changing behavior. Many people wouldn't do it.

Edited by MormonGator

11 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

That's all that matters, I guess. Speaks well of him for listening to others and changing behavior. Many people wouldn't do it.

I'd rather he didn't stop saying USmerican.  I say to Lehi... You be you, man.  I get you.  You don't have to conform to my idea of good behavior after you took the bother to explain your sincere intent.  I need to change how I react to you.  There'd be a time when my idea of good behavior doesn't match Lehi's.  It would be awesome if I can be me too.  We can't all be apples.  But then it's great to be a mango.