Special Snowflakes...

Ironhold

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

.  You don't have to conform to my idea of good behavior after you took the bother to explain your sincere intent.  

Intentions aren't enough. 

12 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Nope. What's the road to hell paved with? 

Sure.  But not all good intentions lead to hell.  I hardly think that saying USmerica is so rude as to lead LeSellers to hell.  So yeah, that "quotable quote" is just another quote that has the words "good intentions" but hardly applies to anything we're talking about.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Sure.  I hardly think that saying USmerica is so rude as to lead LeSellers to hell.

It's not so rude to lead anyone to Hell, it's just rude to do something repeatedly that others have asked you to stop. Ungentlemanly.  

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

http://www.askamanager.org/2016/06/i-was-fired-from-my-internship-for-writing-a-proposal-for-a-more-flexible-dress-code.html

A group of special snowflakes can't understand why they got fired from their internships...

I'm inclined to agree with the person who answered the post... firing them all outright seems extreme, so maybe there were already other issues at work that pushed the decision over the line.

Special snowflakes rarely get this.  I once had a guy on my team I had to chastise because he'd been late to 5 staff meetings in a row.  He felt like my criticism was unfair because THIS time it truly wasn't his fault, he got held up in traffic.  As if the previous tardiness shouldn't be a factor at all.  I explained to him that when you're generally on time, they're understanding of the occasional traffic delay, but that he was being spoken to because of the latenesses collectively.  He walked away grumbling that it was unfair.

This guy was like 32 years old, too.  Go figure.

Edited by unixknight

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

I'm inclined to agree with the person who answered the post... firing them all outright seems extreme, so maybe there were already other issues at work that pushed the decision over the line.

Special snowflakes rarely get this.  I once had a guy on my team I had to chastise because he'd been late to 5 staff meetings in a row.  He felt like my criticism was unfair because THIS time it truly wasn't his fault, he got held up in traffic.  As if the previous tardiness shouldn't be a factor at all.  I explained to him that when you're generally on time, they're understanding of the occasional traffic delay, but that he was being spoken to because of the latenesses collectively.  He walked away grumbling that it was unfair.

This guy was like 32 years old, too.  Go figure.

If you're constantly late due to traffic, it's time to reevaluate your commute schedule.

2 minutes ago, Backroads said:

If you're constantly late due to traffic, it's time to reevaluate your commute schedule.

I agree, but the fridge logic here is that he was only late because of traffic on the last time... and still found it outrageous that he was being reprimanded for it.

2 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I agree, but the fridge logic here is that he was only late because of traffic on the last time... and still found it outrageous that he was being reprimanded for it.

Hey!  Let's start a petition to the Brethren about some of these covenants.  

I mean, like, they're so archaic, you know?  Can't we make a covenant to, like, keep the Law of Chastity unless, you know, I have a brother who's, like, gay, so I should be allowed to, like, commit adultery sometimes if I really feel like it.

13 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm grateful I work for a company where crap like that doesn't fly.  Like, ever.  

I'm grateful I work for a company where nobody cares if you're late ever day as long as you put your hours in (basically) and, most importantly, get your work done. ;)

22 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I'm grateful I work for a company where nobody cares if you're late ever day as long as you put your hours in (basically) and, most importantly, get your work done. ;)

That's how it was at the job I mentioned.  I'm sure it will come as no surprise that the guy I was talking about also couldn't get his work done, and felt persecuted when I had to give him a written warning that his productivity needed to improve.

Edited by unixknight

• 2 weeks later...

1. https://www.facebook.com/topic/Yale-University/105580046141640?source=whfrt&position=2&trqid=6306482833034057523

A black employee at Yale University decided to destroy vintage stained-glass windows depicting slaves working cotton fields. As a consequence, he's been fired and is now facing arrest. Rather than recognize the fact that he broke the law, however, the special snowflakes are trying to defend him. 

2. http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/former-miss-alabama-suspended-from-tv-gig-for-calling-dallas-sniper-a-%E2%80%98martyr%E2%80%99/ar-BBufD7w?li=BBnbfcL&ocid

A former Miss Alabama has been fired from her television job after a social media post declaring that the Dallas shooter was a "martyr". 

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 0:12 AM, unixknight said:

If they were fired simply for signing a proposal then that is outrageous and I would suggest these kids steer clear of that company (or at least that particular management team) in future.

Even granted that the proposal was "inappropriate" (I haven't seen the wording) they were there at that company to learn. People learn through their mistakes, which they never will do if the learning experience is always terminated at the first mistake.

I think one of two things has happened here:

1. The management of this department were unwilling to have these kids foisted upon them, and were looking for the first excuse to get rid of them.
  2. We have a disgruntled young lady telling her side of the story, and that the reality was somewhat different. 

2 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

If they were fired simply for signing a proposal then that is outrageous and I would suggest these kids steer clear of that company (or at least that particular management team) in future.

Even granted that the proposal was "inappropriate" (I haven't seen the wording) they were there at that company to learn. People learn through their mistakes, which they never will do if the learning experience is always terminated at the first mistake.

I think one of two things has happened here:

1. The management of this department were unwilling to have these kids foisted upon them, and were looking for the first excuse to get rid of them.
  2. We have a disgruntled young lady telling her side of the story, and that the reality was somewhat different. 

Or they were there to learn and the company taught them a valuable lesson....  Yes we learn from our mistakes.... Or more directly we learn from the consequences of our mistakes... They made a mistake and this was the consequence.. and now they are learning that businesses are not a democracy... and that being Fired can happen to you no matter how "Special" you think you are.

Now maybe we can say the consequence was unfair or unproportional to the offense...(We don't know because we don't know the full story) but how is that also not a learning experience? In that case now they know that life isn't fair.

My money is on the idea that this was the straw that broke the camel's back.  If a company has interns then that's a source of cheap labor.  You don't just toss that away frivolously.  If these kids were any good at their job then it would have made sense to keep them around and give them another chance.