Do Religious People Get Offended Easier than Non-Religious?

Guest MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

Thank for the answers everyone. To be totally honest, I think LDS have a much thicker skin than some other religious people do, probably because of the anti-LDS onslaught of garbage there is out there!  Sure there are thin skinned LDS and tough as nails in other religions, but it's just my personal, subjective observations. 

And please, I mean no offense to people who aren't LDS...pun intended :-) 

Edited by MormonGator

It also depends on what invironment you live in and which social circles you move around in. You may experience some tension between other religions where you are at, but for someone else it might be different. The only place i experience that tension is online, mostly. To me, more people without faith, particularly atheists or those whose faith is of the norse religion, tend to be very easily offended by anything relating to christianity.

We are all human though, and thought there are societal tendencies, i believe the best thing we can do is to not generalize and take each person in front of you as the individual that they are. Because we don't know what causes them to be so easily offended. We all have different life experiences and reasons to the opinions and conclusions we make.

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

Harry Potter as witchcraft recruitment

Proctor & Gamble's supposed donations to the Church of Satan (total lie)

Non-phonics reading programs intended to dumb down population

Oh, and of course the anti-Christmas Starbucks cups...

There seems to be a minor industry that stirs Evangelicals up every so often, causing us to embarrass ourselves and feel self-righteous in the process.

However, I agree with the others.  How thin-skinned one is varies from person to person.

Just what it says. In your view, do religious people get offended easier than non religious ones? 

Just asking, noting more. 

not much different I think religious folk are more likely to let go of an issue tho... Pride is increasing, humility/love doesn''t seem to be. When hate, pride and anger have more influence you get more offended at whatever things cross you.

Guest MormonGator

not much different I think religious folk are more likely to let go of an issue tho... Pride is increasing, humility/love doesn''t seem to be. When hate, pride and anger have more influence you get more offended at whatever things cross you.

I think being offended is a choice. Like the meme says, It's like telling the world you can't control your emotions very well and would like all of us to do it for you. 

I agree that humility and love are important factors here.  Charity "is not easily provoked" comes to mind. (1 Corinthians 13:5)

There are both non-religious and religious people that have the charity and humility to not get easily offended.  Some people just seem to be blessed with this gift more than others.  But, we should all be seeking for more charity/humility.  It is through the atonement of Christ that God can change our hearts if we accept and allow it.

One of my favorite examples of not being offended is Pahoran's response to captain Moroni in The Book of Mormon after Moroni berates him in Alma 60-61.

Moroni says things like

Can you think to sit upon your thrones in a state of thoughtless stupor...?

... there are many who have fallen by the sword; and behold it is to your condemnation ...Ye know that ye do transgress the laws of God, and ye do know that ye do trample them under your feet. Behold, the Lord saith unto me: If those whom ye have appointed your governors do not repent of their sins and iniquities, ye shall go up to battle against them

If a church leader implied that God told him you were transgressing (even though you weren't) and that he needed to take action against you, how would you respond?

Pahoran knew Moroni had good intentions but was lacking knowledge of the situation.  He didn't get offended, he said:

in your epistle you have censured me, but it mattereth not; I am not angry, but do rejoice in the greatness of your heart.

Edited by Rhoades

Well, University of Missouri, Yale, and other colleges "safe space" sure ain't no religious anything...

I read an article in Psychology Today that suggested college stress was due to controlling parenting (i.e. parents who don't let their kids fail, or learn to make their own decisions).  An added factor may be that this is the first generation to grow up under thought-controlled vocabulary, and now the kiddos are throwing it right back into the faces of the administrator/faculty generation that brought us this fiasco.

I agree that humility and love are important factors here.  Charity "is not easily provoked" comes to mind. (1 Corinthians 13:5)

There are both non-religious and religious people that have the charity and humility to not get easily offended.  Some people just seem to be blessed with this gift more than others.  But, we should all be seeking for more charity/humility.  It is through the atonement of Christ that God can change our hearts if we accept and allow it.

One of my favorite examples of not being offended is Pahoran's response to captain Moroni in The Book of Mormon after Moroni berates him in Alma 60-61.

Moroni says things like

If a church leader implied that God told him you were transgressing (even though you weren't) and that he needed to take action against you, how would you respond?

Pahoran knew Moroni had good intentions but was lacking knowledge of the situation.  He didn't get offended, he said:

I love pahorans response

Edited by Blackmarch