How much military experience did Captain Moroni and his officers have?

moonman239

I think what we read in the Captain Moroni scriptures is a combination of temporal and spiritual wisdom. For example, Moroni relied both on spies and on Alma to give him vital information. Teancum "saw that the Lamanites were determined to maintain those cities which they had taken, and those parts of the land which they had obtained possession of; and also seeing the enormity of their number, Teancum thought it was not expedient that he should attempt to attack them in their forts. But he kept his men round about...yea, and he truly was preparing to defend himself against them, by casting up walls round about and preparing places of resort." (Alma 52:5-6)

How did Teancum know what to do? How did Moroni know how to defeat the Lamanites, given the recorded words of Alma and information from the spies?

I think Moroni's training was primarily on the job - he was, after all, called to be a general in his twenties.

Guest MormonGator

Moroni says the war started towards the end of the "nineteenth year of the reign of the judges". By the time Trancum comes into the picture, the war had been going on for about 7 years (Alma 51:37).

I was going to post something like this. Totally agree. 

Guest MormonGator

I often wonder why these military details are included in the BOM. What is the Lord trying to tell us?

Sunday-Remember that the BoM is scripture, but it's also history. My personal reading of it is that is far, far more complex and multi-layerd than even some LDS think. 

While all the BoM is inspired, some of it is rather dull. No, that doesn't mean it's not true, just boring. 

The military history puts me to sleep. 

I often wonder why these military details are included in the BOM. What is the Lord trying to tell us?

I don't know about the "military details", but I'm certain why the Book of Mormon is written as it is, particularly Mormon's (and Moroni's, too, I assume) contributions.

We all know the primary reason God gave us this precious book of scripture. It is, as the cover shows, "Another Testament of Jesus Christ". And that's exactly what it is.

In addition, however, we read:

Helaman 2:13 And behold, in the end of this book ye shall see that this Gadianton did prove the overthrow, yea, almost the entire destruction of the people of Nephi.

14 Behold I do not mean the end of the book of Helaman, but I mean the end of the book of Nephi, from which I have taken all the account which I have written.

We learn two things here: first, that Mormon did not consider this book his (that was Moroni's doing, I think). He called it the book of Nephi.

We learn that one of the reasons (I believe it the second most important, not restoring doctrine, not even as the witness of Joseph's divine calling, both of which it does/is) is that the Book of Mormon is a warning to be ware of "secret combinations", to support the Constitution (which God caused to be written), and to be vigilant against encroachments by government, apostate government, corrupt government.

We look around. We see parents deprived of their rights and powers as leaders in their homes. We see the Family undermined by welfare, schools, heavy taxation, the courts, easy divorce, single parenthood, and a host of other assaults by the state.

If we were true to the teachings of the Book of Mormon it would not take Apostles and prophets to encourage us to vote, to be anxiously engaged in good political causes, to be prepared for financial emergencies, personal and widespread. The Book of Mormon has told us what will happen when government goes amok, when politicians and bureaucrats do those things that we ought to be doing on our own, when the state becomes the arbiter of morals and "righteousness".

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

This:

20 And now I, Moroni, do not write the manner of their oaths and combinations, for it hath been made known unto me that they are had among all people, and they are had among the Lamanites.

21 And they have caused the destruction of this people of whom I am now speaking, and also the destruction of the people of Nephi.

22 And whatsoever nation shall uphold such secret combinations, to get power and gain, until they shall spread over the nation, behold, they shall be destroyed; for the Lord will not suffer that the blood of his saints, which shall be shed by them, shall always cry unto him from the ground for vengeance upon them and yet he avenge them not.

23 Wherefore, O ye Gentiles, it is wisdom in God that these things should be shown unto you, that thereby ye may repent of your sins, and suffer not that these murderous combinations shall get above you, which are built up to get power and gain—and the work, yea, even the work of destruction come upon you, yea, even the sword of the justice of the Eternal God shall fall upon you, to your overthrow and destruction if ye shall suffer these things to be.

24 Wherefore, the Lord commandeth you, when ye shall see these things come among you that ye shall awake to a sense of your awful situation, because of this secret combination which shall be among you; or wo be unto it, because of the blood of them who have been slain; for they cry from the dust for vengeance upon it, and also upon those who built it up.

25 For it cometh to pass that whoso buildeth it up seeketh to overthrow the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries; and it bringeth to pass the destruction of all people, for it is built up by the devil, who is the father of all lies; even that same liar who beguiled our first parents, yea, even that same liar who hath caused man to commit murder from the beginning; who hath hardened the hearts of men that they have murdered the prophets, and stoned them, and cast them out from the beginning.

26 Wherefore, I, Moroni, am commanded to write these things that evil may be done away, and that the time may come that Satan may have no power upon the hearts of the children of men, but that they may be persuaded to do good continually, that they may come unto the fountain of all righteousness and be saved.

There are numerous examples of conflicts and wars, and the intrigue and combinations associated with the wars. For an exercise, differentiate the wars between the Nephites and Lamanites along with the motives of the Lamanites and the wars between the Nephites and Nephite dissenters and their motives. You will begin to see a pattern, which parallels our own today. Compare the Nephite nation with the Gentile nation (USA). Who sought power? Who had power? Who combined in secret to overthrow liberty and chief judges? Who often sat in the seats of judges and chief judges? Some names to consider:

1. Kishkumen

2. Gadianton

3. Seezoram

4. Seantum

5. Amalickiah

6. Giddianhi

Study the various types of intrigue and conspiracies to obtain control of the people. You will then begin to understand why so many of the battles, wars, epistles, etc were preserved for us. You begin to get into the minds of those who seek power, those who seek wealth and how those who seek power offer wealth to those who seek wealth in order to obtain control. The pattern is seen with the Jaredites as well as throughout the history of the Nephites and it is glaringly obvious in US history and especially current events.

I think Moroni's training was primarily on the job - he was, after all, called to be a general in his twenties.

I think probably not.  Like many cultures I suspect, (at a young age), maybe even as early as 3 years old he was  carrying a sword/weapon of some sort and practicing with it.  He was obviously educated, and as such his education would have been in military exercise and war along with other disciplines.   I think it reasonable to surmise he excelled in military exercise as well as academic.  He was clearly a natural born leader, as well as a spiritual man.  His being asked to be a general in his early twenties speaks more to his training, preparation, and experience more than anything.  Likely he had fought, many battles and distinguished himself as a commander well prior to being asked to be a general.  

Edited by mdfxdb

While all the BoM is inspired, some of it is rather dull. No, that doesn't mean it's not true, just boring. 

The military history puts me to sleep. 

Keep reading it, my friend. The day will soon come when it's not boring in the least, but riveting. The "war chapters" of the Book of Mormon have nothing at all to do with teaching military strategy, and everything to do with living the principles of the gospel under the most trying conditions. Lessons for our day, indeed.

Guest MormonGator

Keep reading it, my friend. The day will soon come when it's not boring in the least, but riveting. The "war chapters" of the Book of Mormon have nothing at all to do with teaching military strategy, and everything to do with living the principles of the gospel under the most trying conditions. Lessons for our day, indeed.

I appreciate that . Wrong choice of words. Even the "boring" parts of scripture are still inspired and beautiful.