16 things in a disaster

I found this list recently and thought it might be interesting to discuss.  It is supposed to be a list of "must haves" if a disaster hits.

1. 30-day food supply

2. Five days water and water purification filters to last one year

3. Vehicle toolkit

4. Hatchet or machete

5. Shovel and sledgehammer

6. 50-foot extension cord

7. Arctic-rated sleeping bags

8. Eight-person tent

9. Flashlights and batteries for the vehicle

10. AM/FM weather radio

11. Three wool blankets

12. Winter coats

13. One tin cloth coat

14. 18 toilet paper rolls

15. Ranch clothes

16. Five gallons of gasoline

I found this list recently and thought it might be interesting to discuss.  It is supposed to be a list of "must haves" if a disaster hits.

…

10. AM/FM weather radio

A hand cranked radio is more reliable, and doesn't require batteries. Many of them also include a flashlight and some even have a cell phone charger.

Please don't forget any critical medications you may need.

If possible, have the doctor prescribe dry, not liquid, forms. They last longer.

Lehi

Sorry, that's a terrible list!

Yes, first aid kit.  YES. 

Vehicle toolkit is not necessary only in disasters.  Vehicle toolkit is necessary if you have a vehicle, not necessary if you don't have one.  So... each of your cars should have one... disaster or not, you'll need it for cases when you get stranded in the middle of the road on your way home from work or some such.

And no, you don't need arctic rated sleeping bags nor 3 wool blankets nor winter coats in South Florida.  Not even in the middle of winter.  I have no idea what a tin cloth coat is.  And you don't need an 8-person tent if there are only 4 of you.  And 50-foot extension cord is only needed if you have electricity - in a disaster, you should expect that you don't.  Flashlights and batteries are not just for the vehicle - yes, it should be part of your vehicle toolkit.  But, you should have one in your disaster pack.

What you do need is a system where everything on the list can fit in a hiking back pack that you can carry... That means - each bag can't exceed 1/3 of the weight of the person carrying the bag.  Pare it down to minimum.  If disaster strikes and you have to evacuate, you don't want to have to cram 18 rolls of toilet paper in your pack.  You need to learn to wash your butt without one.

To emphasize that it should not be made of sheet metal, which would reduce its insulative value.

I'm gonna have to say... Vort here has lately been very stellar with his humorous wit, some appropriated with just the right youtube video.  It's a side of him I've been enjoying a lot lately.

Edited by anatess

Try not to buy #5 alone, or the cashier might get suspicious.

Try wine, condoms, duct tape and a softball bat at the same time.  No matter what else you have in the cart, that combination looks bad.

Shopping for three different people who live 30 miles from Walmart since one of them was taking me to dinner that night.  Next time I'll remember to look at the list as a whole, because I'm sure that looked like a fun date with a backup plan.

1. 30-day food supply

2. Five days water and water purification filters to last one year

3. Vehicle toolkit

4. Hatchet or machete

5. Shovel and sledgehammer

6. 50-foot extension cord

7. Arctic-rated sleeping bags

8. Eight-person tent

9. Flashlights and batteries for the vehicle

10. AM/FM weather radio

11. Three wool blankets

12. Winter coats

13. One tin cloth coat

14. 18 toilet paper rolls

15. Ranch clothes

16. Five gallons of gasoline

The list is probably fine for certain locations, but needs to be clarified. These are nice items to have if you are in an emergency that requires you to stay put, but not too practical if you need to get out. It is too much stuff to be concerned with carrying and will likely put a target on your back as the person to mug for supplies if you did try to carry it.

I'd agree that the electrical cord is for less serious emergencies - and am I blind or is there no mention of matches/ lighters/ flint and steel (any fire starter)? I mean I see the gasoline and TP but you still need something to get it going :)

I'd suggest starting with minimal food supply, a portable small water supply and a water filter (I like the Sawyer for it's portability and longevity), some form of fire starter, a poncho, a space blanket, a multi tool (or at least a good knife), basic first aid supplies as a starting point for basic minimal things you could essentially inconspicuously carry in a purse or fanny pack so as not to draw attention.

If the plan is to have items on hand to stick around than portability doesn't become as much of an issue and to some extent the sky is the limit - I'd still want the above as a minimum but of course more food and water could be useful, better blankets and coats - clothing etc. depending on your weather in the area. Heck maybe even a nice supply of firewood. The trick would still be not to paint your house as a target for others who aren't prepared for a crisis to raid and take your stuff. It's a good idea to conceal your food storage, not boast your NRA affiliation, hide your ammo stockpile and so on. If all your neighbors are thinking they'll just come to your house in an emergency... you have a problem.

I'd suggest starting with minimal food supply, a portable small water supply and a water filter (I like the Sawyer for it's portability and longevity), some form of fire starter, a poncho, a space blanket, a multi tool (or at least a good knife), basic first aid supplies as a starting point for basic minimal things you could essentially inconspicuously carry in a purse or fanny pack so as not to draw attention.

Mine is a cheap WalMart daypack that stays in the back seat of the car.  Additionally, in the trunk there's a canteen, a couple of bow saws, (doubling up tools where practical comes in handy if you end up hiving others along, as well as providing a spare if you don't) kukri, hatchet and e-tool.  Any or all of the trunk gear can be quickly attached to the pack or carried separately as needed.  Beyond the first day, water plan is strain and boil.

I should mention that I live in a college town of 18,000 (plus 9,000 students) surrounded by farmland, and most of my travel is through an hour or more of rural area before getting to any major cities.  My "bug out" spot is my mom's house, ten minutes from town.  Thus, wilderness survival is a primary concern; whether it's because the car broke down in the middle of nowhere and I just need to sit it out without the heater until someone can pick me up in a few hours, or something goes wrong and I need to get out of town for a few days, (last ice storm a couple years ago became a mess, with lots of college kids running 4WD trucks into yards and houses while playing on the ice) being prepared to "live off the land" relatively comfortably for a day or two regardless of weather (granted, it wouldn't have been fun in the ice storm, but I do keep a dry firewood pile in a sheltered area at the back of mom's property in case her power goes out - no fireplace, so a well constructed debris hut might be warmer than her house if the power goes out) is comforting.

• 11 months later...