Mass Shootings Up Under Obama

JojoBag

Guest LiterateParakeet

Incident? I'm not sure what you're talking about. When I said Clinton refused to use the term President, it wasn't something he announced. It was his common practice. He did it throughout the campaign. I conclude from your response then, that the answer is that you didn't notice?

I did not assume you were a fan of Clinton. I didn't even think about it. That had nothing to do with it. I was just looking for consistency.

Its not really that I didn't notice, I just don't remember...my memory is notoriously bad.

So okay, you were inquiring. I understand now. I actually prefer that we use the title and the last name, but Im also guilty of call the President by simply his last name. I do it with uniformly with President I like or don't like.

As I said, what bothers me is calling the President by a nickname. Whether that is a variation of his first given name or last name. Yes I am consistent in this whether I like the President or not.

The reason I brought up Bush is because it appears to me that if we had a Republican in office we wouldn't even be having this discussion...and if we did, it would be people telling me not to criticize our leaders...at least that has been my experience. Like you, I'm just looking for some consistency.

My post stated "at least have his last name correct, preferably with the title President". 

See my response to LP.

I myself do not, as a common practice, indulge.  But I am not going to discourage others from doing it in this case.

To quote Mark Twain: Patriotism is being loyal to your country all the time and to your government when it deserves it.

Patriotism, at least, points to honoring the process by which Presidents are chosen.

You mention the processes.  The correct processes have not been followed for about 100 years.  And they were periodically overlooked for the 100 years before that.

I do have more respect for the Consitution than most people that I know.  I read it once a year.  I study the background and history more than most.  With respect to our relationship on this forum, I'll forbear insulting you; but this is not something that I need a lecture on.
Edited by Guest

Exactly. I don't agree with him on much and didn't vote for him either time, but he's still the president and that deserves respect. 

Many leftists treated Bush horribly, and I'm not going to lower myself to that level. I called them out for disrespecting him, and it's hypocrisy if I treat Obama differently. 

I would normally agree with you, but the office of president has been consistently degraded and used for corrupt purposes since Bush.  Obama has taken that and destroyed the office in his attempt to transform America into a Muslim/communist state.  He has premeditatedly lied with malice aforethought in his desire to destroy the principles upon which this country was founded.  I despise him with every fiber of my being.  If Congress truly had the good of this country at heart, they would impeach and remove that scumbag from office.  However, most of Congress are in league with the Gadiantons.

Guest MormonGator

I..my memory is notoriously bad.

Don't feel bad Lit.

I spent about twenty minutes looking for my car in the Publix parking lot. It took me that long to remember I was driving a rental. 

Its not really that I didn't notice, I just don't remember...my memory is notoriously bad.

That's ok.  I tend to remember for years, some details that others missed.  Yet I tend to forget other details that everyone else remembers.

Yes I am consistent in this whether I like the President or not.

Fair enough.

The reason I brought up Bush is because it appears to me that if we had a Republican in office we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Oh, yes, we would.  And I'd probably be on your side on that one.

...and if we did, it would be people telling me not to criticize our leaders...at least that has been my experience. 

If they did, I'd defend you and call them a bunch of lemmings. -- In a non-ad hominem manner.

Like you, I'm just looking for some consistency.

Agreed.  

Where we disagree is that I believe it is healthy for a free society to not only question their leaders, but to see them as our inferiors.  They work for us, not the other way around. And this is the basis of my contempt for Obama.

Edited by Guest

The process by which presidents are chosen now is that the guy who makes the most promises to the richest people gets the oval office. I can't respect that. 

I'm so sad about what has happened to our country. 

The process by which presidents are chosen now is that the guy who makes the most promises to the richest people gets the oval office. I can't respect that. 

Promises to the rich, and food stamps, welfare, phones, and how many hundred other government give away programs that buy votes.

By the by, I never called anybody out for any disparaging thing they called Bush the Younger.  Nor any of the others.  I think they are entitled to free speech and their own opinion.

The process to get elected has degraded into a 'sloppin' the hogs' contest.

Remember what our dearly beloved Brother Mitt Romney said?  How many receiving government aid?  It's just buying votes.

dc

Promises to the rich, promises to the poor.  You might say he's an equal opportunity hog slopper.

And that's not to say I thought Mitt Romney was any knight in shining armor that was goiing to save our nation, nor our Constitution.  I just thought he was clearly the lesser of two evils.  And I had had a lot of respect for his father, George.

Edited by David13

The office of President hasn't really been respected to the level you're talking about since Kennedy or perhaps Eisenhower.

The popularization of omitting the title "President" was because of Clinton's first White House run, when he made it a point to never refer to Bush Sr. as "President Bush", but always as "Mr. Bush".  From there it was a very short step to omit the "Mr."

Indeed, this was precisely the practice espoused by George Washington, who did not want the title "President" turned into an honorific. It has become common practice to keep referring to former presidents as "President So-and-so", but this is technically improper. Clinton is not my president. Bush is not my president (either one). Obama is my president. I'm not happy about it, but he holds the office, so Obama, and Obama alone, ought to be referred to in the present tense as "President".

Guest LiterateParakeet

Where we disagree is that I believe it is healthy for a free society to not only question their leaders, but to see them as our inferiors.  They work for us, not the other way around. And this is the basis of my contempt for Obama.

The same could be said of our church leaders as well, right?  (D&C 50:26 He that is ordained of God and sent forth, the same is appointed to be the greatest, notwithstanding he is the least and the servant of all.)

Yet, I can't imagine any of us calling Pres. Monson, "Tom".  We wouldn't even call him "Monson".  

That's because I have great respect for the man as well as the office.  As I stated before, I haven't had respect for the office (POTUS) in my entire life.  It's a mockery of what it once was.

And, no, the same cannot be said of the Prophet (or other church leaders).  He is not our servant.  True he serves us, but not because we are his master.  The Lord is his master (which direction do you face?) who has assigned him to serve us.

Obama believes he is our master.  But we are indeed his master.

Edited by Guest

That's because I have great respect for the man as well as the office.  As I stated before, I haven't had respect for the office (POTUS) in my entire life.  It's a mockery of what it once was.

And, no, the same cannot be said of the Prophet (or other church leaders).  He is not our servant.  True he serves us, but not because we are his master.  The Lord is his master (which direction do you face?) who has assigned him to serve us.

How much mastery do you have over him? I understand that he is supposed to serve the US people, and perhaps he does to the extent that he can pander to voters to stave of the republicans. I personally believe that both parties are corrupt and the true master of the president is the secret combinations that have vested interests in putting them (the presidents) in place and using them as a puppet to do their bidding.

Guest Godless

I don't necessarily disagree, but I can't help but feel that if that were true in the case of Obama specifically, he would (at best) have been a one-term president. He hasn't exactly made any friends among the wealthy and corporate elite. And the same was true in the last two presidential elections. I think that's why I like him so much.  ;)

Guest Godless

Rephrase: We are supposed to be his master.  And there have been many presidents that actually understood that.  Obama is not one of them.

To be fair, I feel there are a lot of people in congress (from both parties) who lack the same understanding.

While it feels like vindication to say that mass shootings/killings are way up under this president, I still contend that in comparison with other crimes, these are among the least likely dangers we face.  The reason the press is running with it is that as the news of each one breaks we wonder if there is a link to terrorism.

Right now, unfortunately, the inmates are running the asylum.