Do you love the temple?

Sunday21

Alma 12:And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.

Edited by brrgilbert

We go to the temple to do the work of exaltation for our ancestors.  It is work, it is service.  If we personally gain from it, that is wonderful, but we shouldn't deem it a failure if we don't have some profound spiritual experience, anymore than if we had worked at the bishop's storehouse.

Edited by cdowis

Some Temples I like, some I don't

The Dallas Temple (and the ones like it) is made for midgets. The dressing rooms are too small for a full sized 6'1" man to comfortably get changed, the lockers are so small everything you put in them gets wrinkled, the chairs in the endowment room are too small and too low for a large man and the Celestial Room is gray looking and looks dingy and is very small - you get more than 12 people in it and its crowded. I feel no Spirit there at all except one of depression.

Having lived here for 15 years now, I've been to it 4 or 5 times and I've had a valid Temple Recommend through all of it.

I do love the Orlando Temple which we visit every time we go back there (used to live there and were sealed there)

Edited by mnn727

The whole thing, from Ordination (for men) through Clothing to sealing, is the Endowment.

The Washings and Anointings are part of the ceremony, and they are where the vast majority of the blessings (by both count, at least) are offered.

In that sense, baptism and Priesthood ordination are part of "the endowment", as well.

When we speak of the endowment, we are speaking of a specific ceremony in the temple and the covenants associated with it. If we widen the meaning of "the endowment" to include every covenant we make, then we have lost the specific meaning and any way to refer to that set of covenants, ordinances, and ceremony.

I really am looking forward to doing some work for my ancestors but someone at the temple misplaced the pink cards. We have a team looking for the pink cards! Sigh. 

Unlikely.  For example, I did initiatory, and had the cards sent to the front desk, but they were not there when I was leaving the temple.  It became obvious that someone "ham handed" the cards, and took my cards with theirs.  

I guess the lesson is to have the cards immediately brought back to the initiatory area rather than in the box up front.

In that sense, baptism and Priesthood ordination are part of "the endowment", as well.

When we speak of the endowment, we are speaking of a specific ceremony in the temple and the covenants associated with it. If we widen the meaning of "the endowment" to include every covenant we make, then we have lost the specific meaning and any way to refer to that set of covenants, ordinances, and ceremony.

In common practice, temple prep classes and statements from temple presidents and stake presidents refer to the washings and annointings as part of the "Endowment".

Note that for living ordinances, baptism and ph ord are outside the temple.  W&O are always done immediately before the "main" endowment ceremony.

The following is something that is said over the pulpit without repercussion:

The W&O are where you get the pronouncement of blessings (IOW - endowments).  The main endowment ceremony is where we make covenants, but few indications of the blessings that come from them.  They are really a single ceremony as I see it.  They're only separated for logistical purposes.

Edited by Guest

Obviously, I disagree.

First, no one has said that the Endowment includes every covenant we make and every ordinance we receive.

However, the Endowment consists of those ordinances done in the Temple for the living and that require the Melchizedek Priesthood and specific settings apart for the officiators. Baptism, confirmation, and the Sacrament do not meet this requisite.

I can't find it right now (don't have time) but I believe it was Joseph (or Brigham) who said the Endowment included all those parts I noted eariler. I don't make this stuff up.

Lehi

Yes, I love the temple. I love participating in the ordinances, and I love the teaching, the learning and especially the revelation that occurs there. I can't think of anything I don't love about the temple except perhaps the fact that there are locks on the lockers. The need for that has always disappointed me.

CO,

I wouldn't be too disappointed with the locks.  As far as I'm concerned, it is just to remind us where we left stuff.  And the key system is better than writing on a piece of paper.  I know that I've had open lockers in some settings.  Once I saw some of my stuff was missing.  THEFT! I thought.  

When I went all around the locker room I found my stuff on the bench near my locker.  Here's what happened:

I started putting stuff into the locker.  I had to go to the bathroom in mid-changing.  When I got back, I was in such a rush I threw my stuff into another person's locker by mistake.  The other locker "owner" found some stranger's stuff in there with hims, and instead of taking it he kindly placed it in public so whoever owned it could see it.

It's not just about "keeping honest people honest".  It is to prevent inconvenience as well.  I'd rather have keys than the frustration and embarrassment of simple human error.

Edited by Guest