Christmas treats!

What are you making this year? Any tried-and-true recipes you'd like to share?

I just made a batch of toffee from an absolutely terrifying microwave recipe, but I think that for the first time in my life, I actually made good toffee. I also did fudge today. Sour cream sugar cookies are a must, and I'll probably make spiced nuts. 

I don't make them, I don't eat them, I don't buy them.

I just can't get into it.

There is just too much, and usually too much sugar to it all.

We had a farewell reception for two long term ward members moving to Utah (of course, all our ward members end up moving to Utah, and I will too) Saturday (yesterday).

They had about 120 different candies, cookies, decorated crackers, vegetables and other miscellaneous snack items.  And about 20 people.  The could have all eaten straight for 3 days and still had more.

I'm happy to talk and listen but I have to pass when it comes to all that.  It's just too much.

I may get a box of decorated sugar cookies from the supermarket, but that's it.

dc

I don't make them, I don't eat them, I don't buy them.

I just can't get into it.

There is just too much, and usually too much sugar to it all.

We had a farewell reception for two long term ward members moving to Utah (of course, all our ward members end up moving to Utah, and I will too) Saturday (yesterday).

They had about 120 different candies, cookies, decorated crackers, vegetables and other miscellaneous snack items.  And about 20 people.  The could have all eaten straight for 3 days and still had more.

I'm happy to talk and listen but I have to pass when it comes to all that.  It's just too much.

I may get a box of decorated sugar cookies from the supermarket, but that's it.

dc

Get the Danish ones if that's all you will be getting. It normally in a blue tin, and says something like Danish sugar (or butter) cookies.

They are the best  ;)

Get the Danish ones if that's all you will be getting. It normally in a blue tin, and says something like Danish sugar (or butter) cookies.

They are the best  ;)

With hot chocolate, especially.

Curse you and your conversation on blue tin Danish butter cookies. Walked into the grocery store and there they were. Everywhere. Could have received a free tin if I opened a gas rewards card.

I've almost perfected my Grandma's peanut brittle. Maybe this will be the year...

The indispensable tastes of Christmas:

• Mince pies
  • Chicken or turkey, roasted with bacon, sausages and stuffing. Over cooked, with lots of gravy poured over it
  • Oh - and don't forget the roasted potatoes and parsnips
  • Or the Brussels sprouts (even if you hate them, Christmas isn't Christmas without them)
  • Christmas pudding - with cream or brandy butter
  • Mulled wine (though I don't suppose many active LDS would have this)
  • Nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts, brazils, almonds etc...)

My American wife does not agree. She cannot stand Christmas pudding, or mulled wine, or Brussels sprouts, She doesn't go for nuts, or mince pies. Or parsnips. Neither does she like the chicken/turkey overcooked. For her Christmas is all about cookies. Cookies? What is it with cookies?

*Sigh*

For her Christmas is all about cookies. Cookies? What is it with cookies?

An English sister missionary in my mission thought the word "cookie" was the funniest word she had ever heard. She took some delight in saying "coooooo-kie!" (with the first syllable a stretched-out version of what a dove says) and laughing maniacally about how silly it sounded.

to

An English sister missionary in my mission thought the word "cookie" was the funniest word she had ever heard. She took some delight in saying "coooooo-kie!" (with the first syllable a stretched-out version of what a dove says) and laughing maniacally about how silly it sounded.

Are you sure she wasn't trying to do an impression of the Cookie Monster from Sesame Street?

Another thing: when you've finished your Christmas pudding, and are totally stuffed beyond belief, the next indispensable thing is to listen to the Queen on TV at 3pm.You don't really pay any attention to what she says, but her voice is soothing and Christmassy and helps your digestion. At the end of her message they play the National Anthem, and you feel like you ought to stand up but decide not to. Then you fall asleep, till you are woken up by kids trying to land their new radio controlled helicopters on your face. But you don't mind - it's Christmas after all!

* mean the Queen - not the band Queen - though there's nothing wrong with listening to Queen on Christmas day. When I was 15 I got A Night at the Opera for Christmas, which I had asked for because I knew it had Bohemian Rhapsody on it, and I listened to it almost non-stop all that day.(The cat was sick all over the couch that Christmas, though I don't think that had anything to do with either Queen or the Queen.)

Edited by Jamie123

Leche flan is the favorite around here... well, for the cook mostly because it is super easy.

12 large egg yolks (we use the egg whites to make angel cake)

1 12 oz can of evaporated milk

1 14 oz can of condensed milk

1/2 tsp vanilla

9 tbsp. brown sugar (dark or light, doesn't matter)

3 tbsp. water

fruit like kiwis and strawberries (optional)

This fills 3 llaneras (you can get from the Asian store) or you can use 2 llaneras for thicker flans.

MG_6588.jpg

You can also just use a round cake pan.

Boil water on high in the steamer.  If you don't have a steamer, you can use the oven as a steamer - set it to 375F.

Put 3 tbsp. of brown sugar and 1 tbsp. of water in each of the llaneras (or put the whole thing on the bottom of a cake pan).  Put each llaneras on the stove on med heat and stir until caramelized.  Put the llanera aside to cool and harden the caramel. 

In a big bowl, mix the egg yolks, evaporated milk, condensed milk, and vanilla until smooth.  Divide the mixture evenly into the llaneras through a cheese cloth (or fine wire mesh if you don't have cheese cloth although it won't be as creamy).

Cover the llaneras with foil and put into steamer for 50 minutes.  If using oven, arrange the llaneras in a big oven-safe dish with about 1-2 inches of water and bake for 50 minutes.  The steamer just comes out more "flan like" while the oven is more "cakey".

Take the llaneras out of the oven and flip upside down into a plate and knock the flan off onto the plate.  Cool on the countertop and then line the edges with thin oval slices of kiwi with half of a strawberry on top to make it pretty or whatever fruit you like (optional).  Put in the fridge to set until ready to serve.

download-112.jpg?7c421b