Rudolph the red nosed reindeer add-on lyrics

SpiritDragon

Hey guys I`m interested in broadening my horizons even more...

In Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer Song I`ve heard a variety of different add-ons echoed at the end of lines over the years. Certainly some are more common than others, I`m curious what renditions you`ve heard and prefer.

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer (sometimes echoed reindeer)

Had a very shiny nose (Sometimes like a light bulb follows here or line 4 or both) (also heard flashlight)

and if you ever saw it (echo saw it)

you would even say it glows (see line 2)

All of the other reindeer (echo)

used to laugh and call him names (most commonly pinocchio for some reason, but I`ve heard others)

they never let poor Rudolph (echo)

Join in any Reindeer games (most commonly Monopoly, I`ve also heard parcheesy and poker)

Then one foggy Christmas eve

Santa came to say (Ho Ho Ho)

Rudolph with your nose so bright

won`t you guide my sleigh tonight

Then all the reindeer loved him

and they shouted out with glee (Yippie)

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer 

you`ll go down in history (like Washington, Columbus and most recently Charlie Brown - I`d never heard that one before this year that I can remember)

The other night at a staff party everyone was singing Rudolph impromptu and all used the same add-ons magically - My wife claimed they were the only ones she`s ever heard and thinks I`m crazy for thinking there are different versions. I think it must be somewhat regional - Is there an "authorized" version that standardizes the bonus lyrics that any one is aware of? Any ideas on the source of these echoing words?

Summary of points to discuss:

What words have you heard echoed? Do you have preferences? 

Any idea on the sources and a standardized version? 

We prefer putting the extra lyrics in wrong places. 

Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Had a very shiny nose (like Columbus)

. . .

They never let poor Rudolph

join in any reindeer games (like a lightbulb)

etc...

If I remember rightly, the Simpsons' "add-ons" were:

...say It glowed (Bart: "Like a Light Bulb!" Homer: "Bart!!")

...reindeer games (Bart: "Like Strip Poker!" Homer: "I'm warning you!")

...Santa came to say (Marge: "Take it away Homie!" Homer (sings solo): "Rudolph get your nose over here, so you can guide my sleigh to...er...day" Patty and Selma: "Groan!")

...down in history (Bart: "Like Attila the Hu.....uuuugh". Homer starts strangling him.)

My daughter and I always sing "Attila the Hun" at the end, though my wife always tries to drown us out with "George Washington".

(I think "Attila the Hun" scans better)

Edited by Jamie123

Traditions in this vein from the Squidster family have evolved in a similar fashion as Eowyn's and Vort's .. Typically now the verse addons tend to be mostly random nonsequiturs ... like a cumquat, like cho Momma, like a moose muppet... and occasionally addons will accidentally turn out to be something off-center but somewhat clever.. you would even say it glows (like Chernobyl), you'll go down in history (like Anonymous) ..

BTW that Anonymous lady sure was a renaissance woman! So talented in so many different creative disciplines.. Too bad she had to use a pseudonym to disguise her gender because of the times she lived in...

All of the other reindeer (echo)

used to laugh and call him names (most commonly pinocchio for some reason, but I`ve heard others)

As a mean-spirited person, I can tell you that you call a red-nosed reindeer 'pinocchio' because they both have strange noses. You may also try 'Cyrano' if you think the audience will know the reference. If you want to stick with the shiny, red nose, you may use 'Teddy Kennedy' instead.

• 6 years later...
On 12/16/2015 at 9:07 AM, Guest said:

r8nfa.jpg

I found this video WAY more fascinating that I should have.

The 2 versions I knew from my youth, both after "laid and egg", for what it's worth, were:

The Batmobile lost it's wheel, the joker got away.

And:

Mr. Hooper made a pooper on a Christmas day.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

On 11/24/2022 at 5:11 PM, The Folk Prophet said:

I found this video WAY more fascinating that I should have.

The 2 versions I knew from my youth, both after "laid and egg", for what it's worth, were:

The Batmobile lost it's wheel, the joker got away.

And:

Mr. Hooper made a pooper on a Christmas day.

This is all about the chorus. The verse begins:

Batman's in the kitchen

Robin's in the hall

Joker's in the bathroom

Peeing on the wall! (Ha Ha Ha!)

Two versions at we sang at school were

1. Father Christmas lost his whiskers on the motorway

and

2. Uncle Billy* lost his [something mildly rude that rhymes with "Billy"] on the motorway

An alternative to the American version is:

Batmobile lost a wheel, the Joker took Ballet

* I often wonder if this was the same Uncle Billy who let sillily let Potter steal the money from the Building and Loan in order to get James Steward put in prison.

636163703912432597-unclebilly.jpg&ehk=SA

Edited by Jamie123