12 Years A Slave

Bini

I just realised that I have this movie and have never watched it. I understand it to have some superb acting and is well worth the watch, but I'm wondering just how difficult it is to watch, especially with the subject being what it is. Will I come away feeling totally bummed out?

Guest LiterateParakeet

It sounds like too much of a downer for me to watch.  I don't get entertainment out of things like that.

dc

I haven't seen the movie, but I have read the book.  It was powerful.  

You are right David, you don't watch this sort of movie to be "entertained".  You watch it to understand.  For me it is a form of bearing one another's burdens.  This is a true story.  He wanted to share his experience to help people understand.  So we honor his life and his experience by reading/watching.

It's cool if that is still not "your thing".  I'm not trying to convince you to watch it, just trying to explain that we don't think of it as "entertainment" either.  I think we are all in agreement with you about that.  :)