Vertigo - my mother wasn't crazy afterall

EarlJibbs

So I was awoken from a deep sleep with the room spinning. The light on the smoke detector was going left, my eyes couldn't catch up and I was getting dizzy, FAST! I sat up and turned on the light and tried to focus on one thing. Finally I was in control of my senses, but I was gagging like I just got off of the worst spinning ride of all time. 

My sympathies go out to anyone who has experienced Vertigo! Yesterday was one of the worst days of my life. I feel back to normal now, a day and a half later, after seeing the doctor and taking some meds. I certainly hope this isn't going to be a common occurrence, but it runs in the family. I just need to find the root of the issue since vertigo is a symptom, not a cause.  

Check your inner ear.  Lots of times, vertigo is caused by an ear infection of some kind.

They checked everything out at the doctors. I was hoping it was something easy but no issues could be found. Basically they said that if it continues they may suggest a CT Scan. I doubt it will come to that since I am feeling rather well today now. 

Check your inner ear.  Lots of times, vertigo is caused by an ear infection of some kind.

Or impacted ear wax. A coworker of my sister had this. Took the Dr. three months to totally clean out her ears- My sister picked her up for work and took her home during that time. 

I have vertigo quite often.  I have to be very careful how I get up out of bed.  

We still haven't figured out what is causing it.  We just know that it doesn't have anything to do with my ears. We've ruled that one out.

There are six physical senses:

Sight

Hearing

Touch

Taste

Smell

Balance

I am sorry for anyone who has a messed up sense of balance from vertigo.  We take our six senses for granted until we lose one of them.  I value my eye sight more than anything.

My right eye is slightly damaged.  I got poked in the eye very hard by a tree branch when I was riding my bike as a teenager.  I think it made my vision worse.  My left eye has much better far distance sight than my right.

There are six physical senses:

Sight

Hearing

Touch

Taste

Smell

Balance

When we speak of the "five senses", we are speaking of external sensory functions -- senses that tell us what's happening external to our bodies. Balance is normally considered an internal sensory (or propriosensory) function -- one that tells us what's happening internal to our bodies. Other propriosensory functions include a sense of limb position and of hunger. Pain is arguable a propriosense. Anyway, that is why balance is not normally included among a listing of our "five senses", even though it is certainly a bodily sense.

Reading your post made me feel woozy - I had vertigo once for about three days and it was the worst so I can empathize!

I was hoping to read how others have coped with it as a sister from my ward suffers with it regularly but her doctors don't seem to have figured out a cause. She is often so out of kilter that it's too dangerous for her to walk or stay at home on her own because she can't even fetch a glass of water or prepare food. Family members have to come and stay with her until the episode passes. I would love to know how to help her!

Apparently my brother-in-law is suffering from vertigo right now, and has had several episodes lately that last about 5 days each. There's something called the Epley Maneuver that physical therapists can do that is helpful. There are videos on youtube showing how to do it, too.