Christmas Eve dinner--for you Suzie, if you are reading

beefche

Dravin and I had our international Christmas Eve dinner tonight. This year, we went to Spain. We had meat/potato empanada with lime/cilantro sauce and for dessert we had flan.

Wow, those empanadas were filling! I'm not a huge potato fan and we decided that we would do this again but use sweet potato, butternut squash, rutabaga, or some other root veggie instead of the potato. The cilantro/lime sauce was AMAZING. I love, love, love cilantro and this would be great thickened with greek yogurt and used on a taco salad.  

Next year, we are thinking of Philippino.  In addition to Anatess and Bini here, I have a friend who is Filipino and I intend to hit her up for some recipes.

Merry Christmas!

Our Xmas Eve dinner was courtesy of Yummy *Tummy* aka Yummy Bowl.

Husband had General Tao's Chicken, I had Moo Goo Gai Pan (chicken w/ lots of veggies), then I also got Mixed Veggies, and two servings of Wor Won Ton Soup[Pork Dumpling w/BBQ Pork, Beef, Chicken, Shrimp and Vegetables. 

Picked it up after my grocery shopping [started at 6 AM  :eek: ]

Two thirds of it is in the fridge, ready for our Christmas lunch/dinner. The soup alone is a meal. It is in their special beef broth. Mmmmmm good. 

And the bestest part of all - - - - -  only have to heat it up!! 

For some reason this year only three restaurants will be open for Xmas lunch - no dinners. The place we had Thanksgiving dinner was booked solid when we called to make reservations. Oh Well ~ Yummy *Tummy* it is, and it is good.  :P

Edited by Iggy

Leftover turkey from the other night we didn't save for Christmas (Husband actually received it from his company for Thanksgiving.) Freshly mashed potatoes. Ice cream with hot failed fudge for dessert.

Tomorrow will be two-bean chili with turkey and bacon because the big family Christmas meal is actually brunch.

I made Alton Brown's Christmas soup, which is mainly kielbasa, beans, and kale. It was quite delicious. Even my picky ones ate it up. Also had some bread sticks. Tomorrow is the traditional ham and potato dinner. 

For the first time in decades, I decided to try a laid back Aussie Christmas dinner. Usually I spend half the day cooking and baking and carrying on, but this time we fired up the barbecue and made hamburgers served on rolls with salad and beetroot. It was great! Not sure I'll do it again though, I realized I kind of like the traditional trimmings :)

After our dinner of roast beef, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, mixed veggies, rolls, and raspberry jello, we had all the grandchildren  (12 of them, ranging from ages 2 weeks to 12 years) do a reenactment of the nativity scene.  It was quite the show with several wardrobe malfunctions.  

For the first time in decades, I decided to try a laid back Aussie Christmas dinner. Usually I spend half the day cooking and baking and carrying on, but this time we fired up the barbecue and made hamburgers served on rolls with salad and beetroot. It was great! Not sure I'll do it again though, I realized I kind of like the traditional trimmings :)

That's some traditional dishes I can get behind!

Dravin and I had our international Christmas Eve dinner tonight. This year, we went to Spain. We had meat/potato empanada with lime/cilantro sauce and for dessert we had flan.

Wow, those empanadas were filling! I'm not a huge potato fan and we decided that we would do this again but use sweet potato, butternut squash, rutabaga, or some other root veggie instead of the potato. The cilantro/lime sauce was AMAZING. I love, love, love cilantro and this would be great thickened with greek yogurt and used on a taco salad.  

Next year, we are thinking of Philippino.  In addition to Anatess and Bini here, I have a friend who is Filipino and I intend to hit her up for some recipes.

Merry Christmas!

What a fun tradition!