Book recommendation

bytor2112

My youngest son has been hot/cold on the church for the past several years. He had a not so good youth experience and though he would never admit it....it had a negative effect on him. He attends BYU in Provo and attends church every Sunday and has talked about serving a mission. He recently had his braces off and now has the "all clear" to serve.....if he chooses.

He is really bright and a very logical/science minded young man. He is currently a Physics major and really loves astronomy. So.......

I need recommendations for scientific /gospel reads that he might find interesting and of course that are written  to help others with conversion. I know he has a testimony, but, I think it needs some serious reinforcement. 

I was thinking of something by President Eyring's father and any other recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks-Bytor

Edited by bytor2112

Teryl and Fiona Givens' The God who Weeps and The Crucible of Doubt aren't exactly "scientific", but they are very erudite/literary/philosophical.

Have you shown your son the Mormon Scholars Testify website?  (You can even sort them by academic specialty.)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Guest MormonGator

Teryl and Fiona Givens' The God who Weeps and The Crucible of Doubt aren't exactly "scientific", but they are very erudite/literary/philosophical.

Have you shown your son the Mormon Scholars Testify website?  (You can even sort them by academic specialty.)

All these. Rough Stone Rolling too. 

Keep in mind that doubt is normal. Almost all believers will admit they have them. If you never had doubts in your life, you might (key word "might") not be thinking. 

Edited by MormonGator

I haven't read it myself, but I think that Neal A Maxwell's "Moving in His Majesty and Power" might be a good fit. 

Here is a brief description from LDS books:

If such a thing were possible, Elder Neal A. Maxwell became even more reflective and tender toward the end of his life. Just before his passing, in July 2004, he completed this final book of thoughts and reflections.

In it are three chapters adapted from landmark talks that have not previously appeared in any book — “The Cosmos,” “Free to Choose,” and “Unto This Very Purpose.”

Using a style reminiscent of his Whom the Lord Loveth, Elder Maxwell also ponders such themes as suffering, dealing with the onslaught of evil in today's world, and preparing to live in a celestial culture.

Filled with original thoughts expressed in his distinctive and lyrical style and celebrating his love of the Lord, this book is vintage Elder Maxwell and a fitting benediction to his vast body of inspirational writings.

Anyway when you mentioned a scientific gospel mind and astronomy in the same place I thought to myself - look into Maxwell.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I second JAG's suggestion of The Crucible of Doubt and The God Who Weeps by the Givens.  Both of those were profoundly helpful to me when I was questioning.  

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but what keeps coming to my mind is the different ways of knowing something. Spiritual knowledge is different from scientific or logical knowledge. It relies much less on physical evidence and human reason and much more on how closely one is seeking the Spirit and revelation from God. Pres. Eyring talked about this in his last General Conference talk. I would recommend your son read and re-read that. Here's a link: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/10/the-holy-ghost-as-your-companion?lang=eng

Perhaps he could start a scriptural topic study on knowledge and see where that leads him. There are some deep connections between spiritual knowledge and other topics like faith, virtue, truth, testimony, etc. Here's what the bible dictionary says about knowledge: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/knowledge?lang=eng&letter=k